Recommendation for a Sub - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 22 Old 03-03-15, 12:48 PM
Shackster

Re: Recommendation for a Sub

I have the PSA XV-15 and it is a great sub-woofer. I have heard many subs and this one is solid with no boom. It adds realism and can shake a whole house. I personally have not heard any better. I have mine in a 20 by 20 by 10 room and it can more then handle the whole room with less then half gain. It is very tight and is excellent in movies. I really like the subtle addition it adds 2.1 audio for listening to streaming audio music. You can barely tell its there until you turn it off. In movies it can add ambiance and realism to explosions and gunshots. I highly recommend getting a 15" sub over 12" sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 03-03-15, 01:53 PM
Senior Shackster

David S.

My System

Quote:
PG16 wrote: View Post
Setting up a HT (5.1)...need recommendation on the Sub. Shortlisted the following:

SVS PB-1000

HSU VTF-2 MK4

Power Sound Audio XV15se (it does exceed my budget)

Rythmik LV12R

Other information: Room size 14x16 x 10, Dedicated Media room. Usage - 70% HT/30% Music. Remaining time used for gaming by kids.

With everything i've been learning from these blokes, I'd suggest the following if the XV15se ($899) is too spendy:

SVS SB-1000 ... very affordable, and pretty good anecdotal performance reports.

Hsu VTF-1 ... I'm leaning to the VTF-2 myself, but it's more than I'd care to spend (though there is a St. Patrick's Day sale, about 5-8% off). I know it's the last sub I'll probably buy, so why not one that can go below 20Hz in certain configurations. But if I was cash-strapped, I'd consider the VTF-1 a compromise and still getting a highly rated sub for my money. If I anticipated more money later, I could add another VTF-1 (Widscreen Review's Hardesty recommends two, preferrably in stereo).

With the current sale, the VTF-1 is actually discounted a bit more, and comes in far less that the PSA model you mentioned.

Just sharing a little shopper's analytics, hope it helps....

“Say, was you ever bit by a dead bee?”
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-03-15, 02:26 PM
Senior Shackster

Here is my 2 cents all of those subs are great subs no question, I was looking at pretty much the same ones I almost decided on going with a Reaction sealed 15 799.00. To me it seemed to have the biggest bang for the buck on another forum it was suggested going with DIY. After looking into it I went for it. You can buy a 4 cu.ft flat pack from DIY Sound Group for 120. A Stereo Integrity HT18D4 for either 159 plus shipping or 149 w/ free shipping from Car Audio Bargains, a Behringer Inuke nu3000DSP for 280 or less if you look. add in connectors cables how you want to finish it and for 750 or less there is not much under 1400 that will touch it performance wise plus if you decide that you want more ( I will include myself ) you can build a second for under 400. I can honestly say my sub will go down to 15-16hz ( not something you can hear but you can feel it ) and with the volume turned up you can barely hear it around 12-13hz. I realize these are good size but if you want to save money great performance you cannot go wrong.

post #14 of 22 Old 03-03-15, 02:50 PM
Shackster

The DIY are great subs. You just have to have the correct tools and skills to build it right. Not super hard just a challenge to make finish look good.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-03-15, 03:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
jreb14 wrote: View Post
The DIY are great subs. You just have to have the correct tools and skills to build it right. Not super hard just a challenge to make finish look good.
I think I would consider myself a novice maybe with woodworking, electrical not a problem did it for 10 years. The way the flat packs are put together it is pretty straight forward. I do not have clamps saw or router but a tape measure straight edge cordless drill lots of wood screws and Gorilla glue I put my sub together in a few hours. I have no idea how to apply laminate but for me Restore 4X does a great job ( blends in with coffee table ) I look at my sub a Marty Cube I will have less than 1200 for both there is not much if anything that comes close for less money and if you break it down to 600 per sub its a bargain.
post #16 of 22 Old 03-05-15, 07:18 PM
Shackster

Derrick

My System

Quote:
PG16 wrote: View Post
Setting up a HT (5.1)...need recommendation on the Sub. Shortlisted the following:

SVS PB-1000
HSU VTF-2 MK4
Power Sound Audio XV15se (it does exceed my budget)
Rythmik LV12R

Other information: Room size 14x16 x 10, Dedicated Media room. Usage - 70% HT/30% Music. Remaining time used for gaming by kids.
Have you considered CHT 18.1's? I have 4 of them and think they are of great value.
post #17 of 22 Old 03-06-15, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thank you for the suggestion...DIY is just not for me...I am leaning towards HSUs
post #18 of 22 Old 03-07-15, 07:50 AM
Shackster

Derrick

My System
Hi, not sure where you got diy from the cht 18? subwoofers. They Craig Chase runs and partner Lane run the audio shop. Lots of value in there speakers and I enjoy mine daily. Check out http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/
post #19 of 22 Old 03-08-15, 09:59 AM
Senior Shackster

Can't help myself - just gotta add my 2 cents here...

I'm currently looking to replace two old subs with one new sub - well; one "old" sub and one "not-so-old" sub - both 10-inchers, both 150 W - they just don't cut it in my large living room.

My short list includes the likes of SVS and HSU, but I have to admit; the more I look at what is available for the DIY crowd, the more I think this truly is a viable option for some. Not sure if I will go the DIY route yet, but I am looking hard at components, and the flat-packs in particular are making entry into DIY subs much more attractive for me.

I had no idea you could pick these kits up for such a low cost - I'm seeing around $120 for a ported 4 cu ft box to support a 15" driver. And decent drivers go for around $150 - $300. Toss in a couple hundred more for an amp and a few fittings and some wire and presto! Well, there's the finishing to make it look nice and all, but still - it's got me looking...
post #20 of 22 Old 03-08-15, 10:15 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Philm63 wrote: View Post
Can't help myself - just gotta add my 2 cents here...

I'm currently looking to replace two old subs with one new sub - well; one "old" sub and one "not-so-old" sub - both 10-inchers, both 150 W - they just don't cut it in my large living room.

My short list includes the likes of SVS and HSU, but I have to admit; the more I look at what is available for the DIY crowd, the more I think this truly is a viable option for some. Not sure if I will go the DIY route yet, but I am looking hard at components, and the flat-packs in particular are making entry into DIY subs much more attractive for me.

I had no idea you could pick these kits up for such a low cost - I'm seeing around $120 for a ported 4 cu ft box to support a 15" driver. And decent drivers go for around $150 - $300. Toss in a couple hundred more for an amp and a few fittings and some wire and presto! Well, there's the finishing to make it look nice and all, but still - it's got me looking...
I was very leery of building a sub but after reading about it and then finding out the performance plus the cost I was sold. I built a " Marty Cube " I spent around 750 but if I would have had the wood cut locally vs. having it sent from Vancouver I could have saved some money. I truly believe for 700 or less it can be done. Most of the finishes I have seen from PSA REACTION HSU etc are black texture so by putting in my case Restore 4X it still looks the same. The dumb part of all of this at least for me I like the way it sounds and now I am going to do a second but adding a second is only going to cost about 300. I will have less than 1100 for 2 subs being pushed with nu3000DSP (1050 watts per channel ) capable of 15-16hz. I keep thinking after I have the second one done divide the cost in half where are you going to find this kind of sub for less than 600 each.