sub purchase advice 2k budget - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 25 Old 05-07-15, 08:19 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: sub purchase advice 2k budget

Ok, I understand...but Samson and Hercules are taken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 05-07-15, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Very nice!!! Will have to put some thought into this tonight. Thelma and Louise first came to mind but thinking might want something a little more fear inducing
post #23 of 25 Old 05-28-15, 12:33 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Hello all you knowledgeable, kind, understanding, and patient folk! Not sure if this constitutes a hijacking, so please kick me out kindly if it is.

Quote:
SuperFan wrote: View Post
....The single v1500 blew away the volume and tactile feel of my previous older DUAL SVS 16-46. Wasn't even in the ballpark as far as overall experience.
Is an SVS 16-46 comparable to their SB13 Ultra? I'm on the fence trying to pick something in this ballpark.
TIA

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #24 of 25 Old 05-28-15, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

the 16-46 is one of SVS much older subs. these are probably 10+ years old but they are still definitely able to rock. It is probably closer to the existing PC12-nsd just with a deeper tune and not as much output in the 40+ hz range. Overall a great sub but was getting pretty long in the tooth. I had two of them and they definitely were not able to compare with the single V1500. The single sub had way more output and overall physical presence across the entire bass range. It surprised me how well it did with both HT as well as music. Once I setup the second V1500 it was almost silly how much more output and overall visceral experience was able to be had.

For the newest SVS ultra's it around 1700 for the cylinder and 2000 for the cube. In my mind I would definitely go with the dual V1500 for around 2000 over those. Looking at REW the addition of the second sub was really helpful for smoothing out my overall response across a wider listening area. Also I have quite a bit of headroom that i definitely did not have before for when the mood strikes to really crank things up. If you are thinking of doing a single I would think the newly announced V3600 would surpass pretty handily the SVS ultra. Looks like it's up for preorder now for around $1800. I am almost tempted to send back the duals and try out that behemoth but the duals really have impressed me and will most likely stick around for the long haul.

good luck and hope you find a great match for your needs. Both PSA and SVS are great to work with and have a well deserved praise for both their warranties as well as their customer service. I have talked to Tom a bunch of times about a few seutp and technical issues and he's always been very quick to respond and has had great feedback and info.
post #25 of 25 Old 05-28-15, 01:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

So do you. Loads of thanks for the timely, meaningful reply!

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am