sub purchase advice 2k budget - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 25 Old 05-05-15, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

sub purchase advice 2k budget

Looking for some advice about a possible sub upgrade. Hoping from advice from some of you bass enablers, I mean experts. Not sure if I'll pull the trigger but it is definitely a lot of fun to research and scrimp together funds just in case.

The facts:
Budget: $2000 or so. Less is better, have some wiggle at the top
Room: open concept basement. ~2400 -3000 ft^3 w seating in center/side. Carpet over concrete, drywall walls, drop ceiling.
Listening: 50% movies/TV 30% gaming 20% music
Current setup: chane/arx speakers, dual SVS 16-46cs w inuke3000 DSP.
Upgrade path: hoping this will be last sub upgrade for a looooooong time

Current suspects:
Dual rythmik fvx15. Come in just over $2000 w shipping
Jtr captivator 1400 - $1600 preorder and local to me for shipping
PSA s3000i - $1500 shipped
Dual PSA options of either sealed or ported - just over $2000
Reaction audio has a few newer options also

Debating on a single really great sub or duals of very good sub's. I've done both and the duals definitely have some great advantages and if size isn't too bad could possibly use them as stands for my L+R as those are good sub locations in my space from past experience/measurement. The thought of a jtr cap or similar big boy sub is really compelling though.... The PSA t-18 just makes me drool along with the seaton offerings but those are just a notch above what I'm looking at price wise. Still thinking of holding out for one of those but realistically those are just kind of overkill for my space and listening habits currently.

If I go single sub would probably add an antimode or similar eq option immediately. If duals may look at adding that down the line. Most experience w ported options but seeing decent room gain so open to sealed options also.

The current SVS i have are very good but are lacking a bit in the upper bass range. They dig very low but don't have that tactile feel in my space I've been looking for. Plus they are huge and a little bit of an eyesore currently.

Not too interested in diy currently as already have a million honey do's on my list

All of these options are incredible and probably be ecstatic with any of them but just curious if any opinions/advice from the peanut gallery?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-05-15, 09:45 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: sub purchase advice 2k budget

Quote:
SuperFan wrote: View Post
The facts:
Budget: $2000 or so. Less is better, have some wiggle at the top
Room: open concept basement. ~2400 -3000 ft^3 w seating in center/side. Carpet over concrete, drywall walls, drop ceiling.
Listening: 50% movies/TV 30% gaming 20% music
Current setup: chane/arx speakers, dual SVS 16-46cs w inuke3000 DSP.
Upgrade path: hoping this will be last sub upgrade for a looooooong time

Current suspects:
Dual rythmik fvx15. Come in just over $2000 w shipping
Jtr captivator 1400 - $1600 preorder and local to me for shipping
PSA s3000i - $1500 shipped
Dual PSA options of either sealed or ported - just over $2000
Reaction audio has a few newer options also

The thought of a jtr cap or similar big boy sub is really compelling though.... The PSA t-18 just makes me drool along with the seaton offerings but those are just a notch above what I'm looking at price wise. Still thinking of holding out for one of those but realistically those are just kind of overkill for my space and listening habits currently.

If I go single sub would probably add an antimode or similar eq option immediately. If duals may look at adding that down the line. Most experience w ported options but seeing decent room gain so open to sealed options also.

The current SVS i have are very good but are lacking a bit in the upper bass range. They dig very low but don't have that tactile feel in my space I've been looking for.

All of these options are incredible and probably be ecstatic with any of them but just curious if any opinions/advice from the peanut gallery?
The peanut gallery says the word I underlined above will be a problem, and the only way to even try and mitigate it is with a lot of subwoofer. A lot.

Concrete is the death knell for tactile sensation, which is generated by the really deep bass (the "kick in the chest" you hear people referring to is in the 40-60Hz range, and that you can still have in a concrete bunker). Duals are something you should strongly consider, for more than just the obviously output advantage. That also gives you additional placement options to try and 'focus' the bass energy on the seating position.

All of the units you're looking at are powerful, so no problem there. Given the circumstances though, you might want to lean toward bass reflex designs. The extra output they tend to provide could prove very beneficial for your situation.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 25 Old 05-05-15, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the feedback Jman! Very good points.

I had a lot of back and forth with Tom V over at PSA today. He's great to talk with and a wealth of knowledge to draw from. He really bends over backwards to help his current as well as potential customers. Ended up surprising myself and actually pulled the trigger and ordered dual v1500's along with one of the antimode dualcores that they are just starting to offer.

Very excited to get these bad boys in and see what they can do. I have done a single sub as well as a dual in that space and the duals really did a much better job overall of helping to smooth things out like you mentioned. Also much easier to keep one near field to help boost that oomph.... Very curious to give the antimode a try and see if its able to tame some issues I've been seeing in this space.

Looks like D-Day is Thursday.

post #4 of 25 Old 05-06-15, 01:54 PM
Power Sound Audio

Quote:

I had a lot of back and forth with Tom V over at PSA today. He's great to talk with and a wealth of knowledge to draw from. He really bends over backwards to help his current as well as potential customers. Ended up surprising myself and actually pulled the trigger and ordered dual v1500's along with one of the antimode dualcores that they are just starting to offer.

Very excited to get these bad boys in and see what they can do. I have done a single sub as well as a dual in that space and the duals really did a much better job overall of helping to smooth things out like you mentioned. Also much easier to keep one near field to help boost that oomph.... Very curious to give the antimode a try and see if its able to tame some issues I've been seeing in this space.

Hi Super, Given the room size and environment I'd go with dual V1500s + the 8033S-II.

We're going to discount our subwoofers a bit with some upcoming package deals. The above package will be $2249. (so $100 discount off each sub). If that stretches the budget too much, dual XV15 + 8033S-II is tough to beat at $1649.

The S3000i is the real deal but unless you could consider adding a second down the road...I'd lean toward the ported options if action oriented movies at loud/very loud volume levels is a priority.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #5 of 25 Old 05-06-15, 02:15 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:

I think you're going to be giddy with this set up in your room.
post #6 of 25 Old 05-06-15, 02:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Another couple subs to add to the options is one of the SVS PB13u and the HSU VTF15H MK2 two subwoofer package

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #7 of 25 Old 05-06-15, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the advice all! Looking forward to seeing the PSA's up close as have only been able to admire them from afar up until now. Dealing with tom v so far has been a pleasure and on paper these should really rock my space. The fact that PSA has made such an effort to build/source domestically is just icing on the cake for me. The deals tom mentioned on the various packages are really outstanding!

Fun to look around, research, and daydream about all the various subs and speakers available via ID. There are really an astounding number of great options out there for a really wide range of budgets. Nice time to be a home theater aficionado. Only hard part is trying to stick to your budget (mostly) and make that final decision!
post #8 of 25 Old 05-07-15, 07:51 AM
Senior Shackster

Brandon

My System

Craig Chase is selling off inventory (take a look at his thread in the home audio speakers). You could get the MQ-600 + 4 (FOUR!) SBE-118s for $1500 + shipping. I was the winner of the Dayton SA1000 + dual SBE-118 and they are AWESOME!
post #9 of 25 Old 05-07-15, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I saw that thread this morning.... Great deal on those and really great that he's giving some of the purchase price to a local charity. Those look impressive and even more so for the price. Just got a call from FedEx to arrange my delivery time this morning though so I'm pretty excited about setting up the v1500's and seeing what they can do!
post #10 of 25 Old 05-07-15, 08:06 AM
Senior Shackster

Brandon

My System

Oops, just saw the line where you pulled the trigger! You are going to have some fun with those!