HSU Research VTF-3 MK5 HP Discussion Thread - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

7Likes

post #41 of 67 Old 02-03-16, 08:22 AM
Shackster

My System
Re: HSU Research VTF-3 MK5 HP Discussion Thread

How would this compare to PSA 15v? Since I'm in CA, tax + warranty upgrade makes the price of the VTF3-MK5 same as the PSA, and the specs look very similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 67 Old 02-03-16, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

I've never heard the 15V myself, so I wouldn't be able to do much more than speculate I'm afraid.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #43 of 67 Old 02-06-16, 03:23 PM
Senior Shackster
BJ

Subscribing to this thread now that I have a couple of these in my system. They are awesome!

post #44 of 67 Old 04-05-16, 12:53 PM

I've had a Hsu VTF3 MK3 for several years and it's been amazing so far. I've owned this sub for about 5 or 6 years now. It was a used purchase and quite frankly, who knows how long the previous owner had it before he sold it to me. But I've NEVER had an ounce of problem from the sub. The amp is running perfectly and it's been a side table for my couch for the longest. No one notices that it is anything but a table.

I've recently been gifted an old motorcycle from a friend and I was trying to figure out how to repay him. I know that he is building his home theater on a tight budget and he currently doesn't have a sub. He was thinking to build a Dayton or get a Bic America sub. I offered him my Mk3 sub. At first, he refused because he didn't want to accept payment for the motorcycle but I convinced him that it was because I would use it as an excuse to get a different sub.

I had lots of thoughts to replace the Mk3 with something from SVS but I kept coming back around to the VTF3 Mk5. The Mk3 worked beautifully in my 3000 cubic feet room so far and I'm sure that the Mk5 will do even better. I am not quite sure what to expect since I was so satisfied with the last sub. This new one will have more tuning options. I'm also curious as to what the Q Control would do for my room. Either way, it'll be here in a few days and I'll let you guys know what I think. Be warned, though; my ears are not as sharp as some of your well honed ears.
post #45 of 67 Old 04-05-16, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
SJTrance wrote: View Post
Either way, it'll be here in a few days and I'll let you guys know what I think. Be warned, though; my ears are not as sharp as some of your well honed ears.
Your acuity doesn't really matter though, because in the end all that does is how you think it sounds. So long as you're satisfied the rest is pretty much irrelevant. That being said... knowing first hand how the MK5 sounds means I can pretty much guess what your reaction will be. Something like this:

BTW, nice gesture on your part. Friends do for each other. Double bonus is you get a brand new sub out of the deal, and a motorcycle to boot!
Ive, SJTrance and Chromejob like this.

-Jim

post #46 of 67 Old 04-14-16, 04:22 PM

So I've been using it for a couple of days now and I love it. It seems to have the same amounts of thunder as the old one but the bass seems "smoother." Maybe it's less distortion. The MK3 was still such a monster in my space that I can't say that I feel a huge difference. Do these subwoofers have a break in where they sound different with more use?

Side note: I tried to put in their test CD into my PS4 and it doesn't seem to support that format. I have to find another way to play it.
post #47 of 67 Old 04-14-16, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
SJTrance wrote: View Post
So I've been using it for a couple of days now and I love it. It seems to have the same amounts of thunder as the old one but the bass seems "smoother." Maybe it's less distortion. The MK3 was still such a monster in my space that I can't say that I feel a huge difference. Do these subwoofers have a break in where they sound different with more use?
Pretty much everything mechanical has some level of break-in period, and a sub driver is no different. But will it sound different? Probably nothing you would be able to detect without a microphone and measurement gear. You may sense that it becomes a bit more refined, but if you do notice anything it would be quite subtle.

-Jim

post #48 of 67 Old 04-14-16, 11:36 PM

Thanks JMan. I watched Pacific Rim on blu ray today and there is definitely a difference I can discern. First off, I keep forgetting how much better the video and sound is on blu rays than on my Fios provider. It is for sure smoother and yet more impactful.
post #49 of 67 Old 01-31-17, 07:43 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

...And now back to our regularly scheduled program, I just ordered one of these goobers from the fine folks at HSU. Not sure how long it will take but it should be here in a week or so.
Looking forward to fluttering my trouser legs a bit.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #50 of 67 Old 01-31-17, 08:31 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Congrats Jack!!! Looking forward to your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Savjac likes this.