HSU Research ULS-15 MK2 Discussion Thread - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 46 Old 05-09-16, 09:00 AM
Shackster

Re: HSU Research ULS-15 MK2 Discussion Thread

Quote:
ceetee wrote: View Post
really eager to hear your comments on the ULS-15 since i might be purchasing a pair.... thanks!
Hi ceetee, Here are my honest thoughts. I purchased the ULS-15 and had an opportunity to also purchase a JL Audio Fathom F113 version 1. The ULS-15 sounded very good but it did not have the output or the sound quality of the fathom. Obviously there's a huge cost in price difference so I know the comparisons are a little unfair. It got pretty loud for a sealed 15 but I ended up also purchasing the VTF15 mk2 3 weeks later, the ported version of this speaker. I have to say that I preferred the VTF15 over the ULS15. The output was better and I also liked the sound quality a little more. The VTF15 had about the same output as the fathom and maybe a tiny difference in sound quality. Put it this way if you didn't compare both of them side to side I highly doubt you would notice a difference. Having that extra output over the ULS15 to me was pretty important though. I am a bass head so I need output. I think both are great subs but I feel the VTF15 is the way i would go if space wasn't an issue and you were looking for that extra sound pressure levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 Old 05-09-16, 01:41 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
spiroh wrote: View Post
Hi ceetee, Here are my honest thoughts. I purchased the ULS-15 and had an opportunity to also purchase a JL Audio Fathom F113 version 1. The ULS-15 sounded very good but it did not have the output or the sound quality of the fathom. Obviously there's a huge cost in price difference so I know the comparisons are a little unfair. It got pretty loud for a sealed 15 but I ended up also purchasing the VTF15 mk2 3 weeks later, the ported version of this speaker. I have to say that I preferred the VTF15 over the ULS15. The output was better and I also liked the sound quality a little more. The VTF15 had about the same output as the fathom and maybe a tiny difference in sound quality. Put it this way if you didn't compare both of them side to side I highly doubt you would notice a difference. Having that extra output over the ULS15 to me was pretty important though. I am a bass head so I need output. I think both are great subs but I feel the VTF15 is the way i would go if space wasn't an issue and you were looking for that extra sound pressure levels.
thanks for the quick and honest response! sounds like you're more into movies than music, but i do prefer music myself. i was always the biggest fan of ported subs until i got my first sealed sub (SVS SB-2000 pr.). it made me realize the 'bloat' i thought that i was hearing was only a 'thickness' in the sound quality enhanced by the high output (not to say that all ported sound that way). so i was wondering if the sound was a little thicker from the VTF15 than the ULS15. also, do you hear any difference in the articulation and tightness between the two. by the way, the other sub i'm giving consideration (as well as my first choice) is the E15 from rythmik audio.. your thoughts are truly appreciated!
post #43 of 46 Old 05-09-16, 02:52 PM
Shackster

Actually all of my testing was done with mostly music. Truth is i felt like I lost nothing going from the ULS to the VTF only gained due to output. Sound quality wise I don't think there were huge differences between the two. Being that you are looking to do two of them you should be happy. I never listened to the Rhytmik but if I ever need to go a different direction I will seriously consider them. I don't think I have ever read anything bad about them only positive in regards to output and sound quality. In hindsight, I wish I did try out the Rhythmik offerings and compared them to HSU and JL Audio.

post #44 of 46 Old 05-09-16, 06:41 PM
Shackster

My System

i did hear the E15 vs. the SVS SB-13 Ultra (class B reference) and gave a edge to the E15 as did the J-Man. Would love to hear it up against the JL Audio F113... considering the price difference, that would be an interesting listening session!
post #45 of 46 Old 06-09-16, 02:41 PM
Shackster
Austin

Great info!

Thanks for the review

Last edited by AGumbs; 06-09-16 at 03:29 PM.
post #46 of 46 Old 11-13-17, 11:12 PM
Senior Shackster
Mathias

I have this sub and love it. However, subs like the https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...kage--300-7200 , a sealed 18" 1200W RMS amp with a DSP in only a slightly larger package is really tempting.

Does anyone have a comparison between the 2?