4 Polk Subs, PSW505's vs 1 High End Sub - Advice please. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 18 Old 03-21-16, 10:59 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: 4 Polk Subs, PSW505's vs 1 High End Sub - Advice please.

For what you can buy a 505 for, it's a good value, for sure. However, where you're trying to go is the next level, and if you can easily sell them, you should. Everything Jim said about the horns is true. People have copied mikes f20, to good effect, but I seem to recall it was based around movie watching. If you're serious about building a horn, I would put in some more research. I don't know your skill set so I'm not sure about recommending a build like that. Rhythmik supports diy. Maybe a call to Brian Ding would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 03-21-16, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Layman

My System

Woodworking is easy for me, as well as soldering, I have both patience and aptitude. I would not feel comfortable building an amplifier from scratch. But I can certainly buy one and install it. I'm not sure how much more is required. Space is not an issue, I could build a huge horn, or two. haha But, I do love it when the bow is drawn across the strings of a Cello, and I want to hear the Bass string when it's struck. I was disappointed recently watching Jurrasic Park, when the T-Rex started walking, my room did not shake or quiver. If the "rear view mirror" and the "glass of water" start to shake, I kind of expect the room to feel a bit like that too.

Epson 2040 projector, Silver Ticket 120 AT screen, 2 Polk 12" PSW505's, Fronts: Polk M60's, Center:Polk M10, Surrounds: Polk M40's, Backs: Polk M30's

I want to hear real Cannon Shots, as well as Orchestral Music.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-21-16, 12:00 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Sounds like you've the skills! It might be worth looking into some horn designs. A quick search on Google will bring plenty of options. I can't say for sure you'll end up ahead of a well designed ID manufacturers sub. Especially if you're after articulation.

post #14 of 18 Old 03-21-16, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Layman

My System

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Sounds like you've the skills! It might be worth looking into some horn designs. A quick search on Google will bring plenty of options. I can't say for sure you'll end up ahead of a well designed ID manufacturers sub. Especially if you're after articulation.

Forgive me, what does ID mean?

Epson 2040 projector, Silver Ticket 120 AT screen, 2 Polk 12" PSW505's, Fronts: Polk M60's, Center:Polk M10, Surrounds: Polk M40's, Backs: Polk M30's

post #15 of 18 Old 03-21-16, 01:34 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Sorry. Internet Direct. SVS, Rythmik, PSA etc.

post #16 of 18 Old 03-21-16, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Layman

My System

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Sorry. Internet Direct. SVS, Rythmik, PSA etc.

OK, thanks. Then I'll go ID. Sounds like a sure thing, easier.

post #17 of 18 Old 03-22-16, 08:17 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

You will get more articulation out of a good ID sub than you will a horn aimed largely at the home theater crowd.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #18 of 18 Old 04-06-16, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Layman

My System
Trouble reading subwoofer graphs

I am having trouble reading the graphs. From the graphs, it looks like this sub will recreate detailed music from 20hz and then stay strong and flat.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

This sub seems to be only marginally better, maybe a flatter response? It looks to me like the same SPL as the vtf-2?, looking at the graph.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2.html

I do not understand the following graph, I can't see like the previous graphs, where and how quickly the sub creates sound at 20hz, or how flat the response is?
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R_specs.html

Because my theater is in my garage, and my neighbors are very close, I do not want to bother my neighbors with throbbing bass. I want to enjoy music and movies, with the occasional wall rattling of an earthquake. In order to achieve this, I am putting lots of light weight tools and things on the walls and shelves. They vibrate and crash around quite easily. And I am going to keep the 2 Polk 505's and place them right behind the couch. I am inclined to go with the Rythmik up front, because of the servo technology. I think it will be more articulate. But, I am unable to compare apples to apples because of the differing graphs. My space is about 3200 sf.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited by jmtenthusiast; 04-06-16 at 08:54 AM.