4 Polk Subs, PSW505's vs 1 High End Sub - Advice please. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 18 Old 03-20-16, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Layman

My System
4 Polk Subs, PSW505's vs 1 High End Sub - Advice please.

I have 2 Polk PSW505's. I am considering buying 2 more. But I am wondering if I should sell the two that I have, and put the money toward a single, better sub. Can you help me decide what to do?

I want to hear real Cannon Shots. But I don't need for the house to fall down from the bass. I think I prefer "tight" sound, over rumble sound.

I also want to hear real Orchestral music.

I think I can sell my subs for $100 bucks a piece. And, I was going to spend an extra $350 for two more. So my budget is around $600.

Room, 20 x 20, divided in half by heavy curtains, so 10 wide by 20 long.

If I have to, I am not adverse to the idea of spending more. So, let's say...$800? Tops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-20-16, 10:39 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: 4 Polk Subs, PSW505's vs 1 High End Sub - Advice please.

Well, I can speak to this. I have a single psw505, in the same room with 2 SVS pc plus's (one is a diy). It's a good little subs for the money, with decent output, but little extension(rolls off around 25 iirc) I do enjoy the Polk in the mix for music, since that workload isn't too high. However, when watching movies with lots of output, or extension, it can become annoying as you can hear it's higher tuning and bloated sound, compared to the other 2.
My recommendation is absolutely get rid of the polks. If you want a real subwoofer experience, they need to make way for one. What you'll get in return is output, extension, and linearity.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L22.html
http://www.svsound.com/collections/c...oducts/pc-2000
http://www.svsound.com/collections/ported-subwoofers
This where I'd start looking if you really can go up to 800.(IMO it'll be worth it) Your listening space is only 1600cuft, but the overall is 3200. The curtains will do nothing to stop the bass so I'd recommend going as big as you can. May even a second one in the future. Two subs CAN offer smoother response, but they have to be set up properly. I normally say go for the single best sub you can afford, while planning for another one when budget/WAF permit.
So much for the short version...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 Old 03-20-16, 10:49 AM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System
You could buy a third, more capable sub, then use the existing Polk subs for room fill. The Polks may not be able to keep up with the new sub, placing them near the listening position would help lighten their load.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks

post #4 of 18 Old 03-20-16, 11:07 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
You could buy a third, more capable sub, then use the existing Polk subs for room fill. The Polks may not be able to keep up with the new sub, placing them near the listening position would help lighten their load.

Mine is a long story, but this is exactly what I did, except I supplemented with one Polk. They measure good together and the Polk hasn't hurt extension since the others carry it, but it does run out of gas, and does sound different. Ironically, it has added headroom. For some reason I can't bring myself to remove it, since I don't want to kill the other 2. I'm saving to upgrade them, but not sure how soon. I would agree, it would be worth trying as an experiment, but since the sale of them would finance the new one, I still think they(polks) should just go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 18 Old 03-20-16, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Layman

My System

If the new sub will give me what I want, the sound of real cannon shots, then should I forgo building this thing? Is it just too much for my needs? Or will this add to the experience?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ma-f-20-a.html

Epson 2040 projector, Silver Ticket 120 AT screen, 2 Polk 12" PSW505's, Fronts: Polk M60's, Center:Polk M10, Surrounds: Polk M40's, Backs: Polk M30's

I want to hear real Cannon Shots, as well as Orchestral Music.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-20-16, 04:20 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
jmtenthusiast wrote: View Post
If the new sub will give me what I want, the sound of real cannon shots, then should I forgo building this thing? Is it just too much for my needs? Or will this add to the experience?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ma-f-20-a.html
You're comparing the 505's to a horn? That's like comparing a 1 ton pickup truck to a Prius! Those subs are aimed at 2 totally different owners. If you want to hear and feel the canons that F-20 will do better than 4 of the Polks will.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7 of 18 Old 03-20-16, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Layman

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
You're comparing the 505's to a horn? That's like comparing a 1 ton pickup truck to a Prius! Those subs are aimed at 2 totally different owners. If you want to hear and feel the canons that F-20 will do better than 4 of the Polks will.
OK, thanks. The Polk's are going on Craigslist.

Epson 2040 projector, Silver Ticket 120 AT screen, 2 Polk 12" PSW505's, Fronts: Polk M60's, Center:Polk M10, Surrounds: Polk M40's, Backs: Polk M30's

post #8 of 18 Old 03-21-16, 07:59 AM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
That's the right move (listen to Jim... He knows what he speaks! :-)
post #9 of 18 Old 03-21-16, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Layman

My System

Well, would it be wrong to keep my 2 Polks and go ahead and build the F20? Is the F20 beneficial to Orchestra music or do I only turn it on for movies?

post #10 of 18 Old 03-21-16, 08:40 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
jmtenthusiast wrote: View Post
Well, would it be wrong to keep my 2 Polks and go ahead and build the F20? Is the F20 beneficial to Orchestra music or do I only turn it on for movies?
I don't imagine the Polks would be all that good for orchestral music. They're designed as an entry level product, which means something has to give. The 505 is a pretty good value for the money but you won't find it to be very detailed or articulate, traits that lend themselves nicely to orchestral pieces. A horn may not be ideal either though...

Horns are primarily designed with two purposes in mind; achieve the most efficient use of a driver and be able to play very loud. The latter allows them to (potentially) have wide dynamics, which is definitely a good quality. Done correctly they can be precise as well, but never having heard the F20 myself means I can't say for certain if it will have that trait.

A subwoofer with a properly done (key words) horn is definitely something to behold in real life, so it might be worth the research. If you have the space they can deliver the goods.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite