Elac Subwoofers - S10EQ and S12EQ - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

5Likes

post #11 of 29 Old 03-14-17, 11:32 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Elac Subwoofers - S10EQ and S12EQ

Bill, dont forget that the Elac sub uses the built in mic on the phone as Jim already pointed out. That there is already a bad idea as they are not by any stretch of the imagination good quality or sensitive enough to take the kind of readings that are needed to auto EQ a sub.

REW is a much better tool and you would find that your results would be much better using the manual adjustments of a Sub like SVS. There is no such thing as a "music only sub" or "musical sub" if the sub is built well it will handle music just as well as movies.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 03-14-17 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 03-14-17, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I'm confident in using the phone's mic because of the method Elac is using.

I will admit that my biggest concern is that there are NO physical controls to fall back on. I'm tied to an app that may/may not be supported some years down the line.

And the SVS' are nicer looking IMO.

Bill
post #13 of 29 Old 03-14-17, 02:08 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
wgb1202 wrote: View Post
I'm confident in using the phone's mic because of the method Elac is using.
Now whose making assumptions?

You may very well fall into the market segment that Elac was targeting; no sub processing and willing to pay extra to get it. If the product fits your needs than you know what to buy, but your arguments for the value of those features only applies to people in your situation. For the vast majority they simply won't.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

post #14 of 29 Old 03-14-17, 02:18 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

There's definitely a targeted demographic for this. People want convenience and that's great. I just can't believe that the mic in a phone can do justice to this. , even some spl meters use correction curves. Plus phone mics are contoured for human voice. The software may be pretty good but I just don't believe in the hardware.
post #15 of 29 Old 03-14-17, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Maybe he explains it better than I do in regards to using the mic on a smartphone:

Again, the thing that worries me is the lack of physical controls due to unknown future support of the app.
post #16 of 29 Old 04-08-17, 09:59 AM
Shackster

I'm sorry folks but most of you have no experience with either of these subs and have no business talking about them other than to perhaps quote facts, figures and reviews. (Ok, ok, it's what we do here and I'm occasionally just as guilty 8-) )

I happen to have an SB2000 and an Elac 12EQ right now that I'm auditioning for the HT that I'm putting together. But I mostly listen to music. My main stereo rig is in another area of the house and uses PSB Synchrony One full range speakers that don't require a sub and sound terrific, though not perfect (is there such a thing?). That's my base line.

The HT uses Elac Uni-Fi UF5 towers, a PSB Synchrony One center (which cost more than the towers, and that's another story ), and a pair of older Sony 155 bookshelf speakers for the surrounds.

I've had the SVS2000 for over a month now and I've had a of a time dialing it in. Nice sub that goes low, but I've concluded it's just not up to my expectations for music. Not its fault, it's terrific for music, but it relatively inexpensive compared to the PSB's that I'm comparing it to. Let me stop here and explain that when I made SVS aware of my situation, they were terrific, telling me they would sell me an SB13 Ultra (which my budget wouldn't even let me consider) at a spectacular price and let me keep the SB2000 beyond the trial period for comparison. And I quote Gary their president, "We just want you to be happy." Kudos for this world class attitude.

So I disconnected the SB2000 and connected the Elac 12EQ. The app took a bit of fiddling to connect to bluetooth (not its fault, I didn't watch the youtube video on connecting). Unfortunately, the manual didn't have the link so that took a bit of research to learn about. I used my Samsung phone and followed the directions. This app is terrific, I accomplished in 2 minutes what I couldn't get done in a month experimenting with the SB2000. I tried various manual adjustments to improve the Elac's automatic equalization, but ended up going back to the automated settings. Now this is a bit unfair to the SVS because the Elac sub is voiced to match my Elac towers. And I'm fussy about my sound and not very good at doing manual equalization. I rely on MCACC on my Pioneer Elite SC-72, while only making a few adjustments to balance volumes at my listening position, never touching equalization, phase, etc.

Bottom line is I like the sound of the Elac sub which is priced in the same range as the SVS (there's a couple bargains from Amazon marketplace from time to time if you watch for them), even though it's still breaking in, and I'm not convinced yet it will be as clear and seamless as the PSB towers (yes, I know, apples and oranges), but if you don't have high expectations, how can you even aspire to them?

Will the EQ12 be as good as the SVS Ultra? More apples and oranges as the Ultra is 3 times the price at retail, but that's a separate issue from what we are talking about here. But I will say, I'm wishing the SVS had an automated app. I can't emphasize enough just how wonderful it works, and how much aggravation and time it eliminates.
post #17 of 29 Old 04-09-17, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

@pageman99 thanks for sharing your experience. The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on the Elac is I worry about Elac's future support of the app. As people change phones and operating systems progress will Elac commit to the constant maintenance updating that will be required.
post #18 of 29 Old 04-09-17, 09:44 AM
Shackster

Valid point, and there is no ready answer. I've been involved in a few software startups and the best answer is to make the software as independent of the operatin g system as possible. Sometimes that's possible, sometimes not. Worse we have no way of knowing.

I will say this, given how convenient the setup was compared to traditional fiddling with knobs, this type of setup will be with us for a long time, imo. I also note that the new line of upscale subs from Elac has the same EQ software as the Debut line. I would say that all the subs use the same sw, so I don't think support will be an issue. That is, as long as Elac is active in our market, and they've been around a long, long time. Yet knobs need no support.

Pick your poison. Convenience vs the risk of becoming an orphan.

Btw, My Samsung Edge just upgraded to the newest version of Android and the app worked fine.
post #19 of 29 Old 04-09-17, 06:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
pageman99 wrote: View Post
I'm sorry folks but most of you have no experience with either of these subs and have no business talking about them other than to perhaps quote facts, figures and reviews.
Although you make a point and are somewhat true you don't have to hear a sub to be able to make a knolagable statement on the subject.

Quote:
I accomplished in 2 minutes what I couldn't get done in a month experimenting with the SB2000. I tried various manual adjustments to improve the Elac's automatic equalization, but ended up going back to the automated settings. Now this is a bit unfair to the SVS because the Elac sub is voiced to match my Elac towers.
Again, now your making comments that cotradict the statement that you made at the top of your post. The flexibility of the parametric eq on the back of the SVS would accomplish more than the Elac if used correctly. Did you ever try using REW available here at the HTS?
On your second point about the Elac being voiced to your sub and Vic versa is also not true at all. There is no such thing regarding a properly designed sub. Voicing is irrelevant.
Lumen likes this.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #20 of 29 Old 04-10-17, 10:15 AM
Shackster

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Although you make a point and are somewhat true you don't have to hear a sub to be able to make a knolagable statement on the subject.

Again, now your making comments that cotradict the statement that you made at the top of your post. The flexibility of the parametric eq on the back of the SVS would accomplish more than the Elac if used correctly. Did you ever try using REW available here at the HTS?

On your second point about the Elac being voiced to your sub and Vic versa is also not true at all. There is no such thing regarding a properly designed sub. Voicing is irrelevant.
Sorry, but I suggest you download the Elac setup software app and run it in demo mode and tell me how it isn't moire powerful than the three knobs on the back of the SVS which only adjusts volume, phase and low pass filter cutoff frequency while the Elac has a complete equalizer tool as well as low pass, phase and volume.

As far as voicing, are you telling me that if Barbara Streisand and Tony Bennet sing the exact same note that their voices will sound exactly the same? The same applies to voicing of subs, they all have their own character.

And your own example just made the point that while one can make intelligent statements (which I readily agree with) about a sub (or any other part of a sound system), that only applies to quantitative differences, not qualitative differences. Now lets get back to the original topic and try to help the original poster with useful information.