What to do with 4 Tempest subwoofers - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By willis7469

post #1 of 9 Old 04-11-17, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

What to do with 4 Tempest subwoofers

I've got 4 Tempest subwoofers in 24" dia. Sonotubes that are 34" tall. My wife says they look really nice...basement nice. They will never be allowed inside the house.

My basement is 'L' shaped. The L has one length of 40' and the other of 45'. The width of the L is a constant 17 ft. My pseudo/faux home theater is at the end of the 40ft L. There is a corner on the right side and a staircase on the other side. Far from ideal. Right now I have two subwoofers at the corners of the room beside the left and right speaker. They are sorta next to my mains. One is corner loaded and the other wall loaded for lack of a better word. Current the bass sounds best right between the two woofers

I have a Denon receiver with Audyssey. It has a setup for multiple speakers but performs a single time alignment. So where should I put my other two Tempests to get the cleanest base? Is there a formula or a way to test?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-12-17, 10:36 AM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System
Re: What to do with 4 Tempest subwoofers

Welcome Mitch,

Any photos?
No, there is really no formula, but maybe just general guidelines.
What are you attempting to do, smoothen bass response over listening area, or just get more clean output? Both?
Measurements can guide you also.

cheers

AJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-12-17, 11:33 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Place two in the front corners and then I would suggest starting by placing the other two (1) in the back corner of the room and (2) along the back wall so it lines up with the front one. take REW measurements and go from there.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 9 Old 04-12-17, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

ajinfla - See the attached pics. My primary goal is clean/smooth base. Not worried about total volume cause I thin 4 subs will get me there. When I only have one sub in the corner most thought it was loud enough. When I had two speakers (one Tempest and one small off the shelf subwoofer) the base sounded clean and crisp standing standing between the two speakers.

1st pic - Front view. I used a 'speaker location calculator' for the front speakers and thought subwoofer locations would work here too. They are 7 ft from the wall and 5 ft apart. The couch is about 15 ft from the wall. Room width at this point is 17 ft.

2nd - Rear view. 40 ft from the front wall and filled with junk and my small workshop.

3rd - Left front view. Staircase and storage under staircase storage.

4th - Left rear - Open area. 45 ft from rear left wall to rear right wall. This area is 20 ft in width.

5th - Right front. Just a wall with windows

6th - Right rear. Wall with window and junk/stuff/debris
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with 4 Tempest subwoofers-front-view.jpg  

What to do with 4 Tempest subwoofers-rear-view.jpg  

What to do with 4 Tempest subwoofers-left-front.jpg  

What to do with 4 Tempest subwoofers-left-rear.jpg  

What to do with 4 Tempest subwoofers-right-front.jpg  

What to do with 4 Tempest subwoofers-right-rear.jpg  

Last edited by Mitchyz250f; 04-12-17 at 08:48 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-12-17, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

tonyvdb - Does the second set of subs have to be the same distance form me as the front 2 subs? My Audyssey time alignment will provide a single time alignment for all the subs.

Last edited by Mitchyz250f; 04-12-17 at 09:42 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-13-17, 12:07 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Mitchyz250f wrote: View Post
tonyvdb - Does the second set of subs have to be the same distance form me as the front 2 subs? My Audyssey time alignment will provide a single time alignment for all the subs.

You should be able to manually adjust the phase on the subs. Phase is another way to say delay. Dozing off here but I "think" if you adjust the phase on the closer subs audyssey will treat the four as one. You'll need at least an spl meter to verify though. If I follow tony correctly, I agree to get those subs in the corners even though they seem convenient as stands. Subs and mains usually respond to different placement from each other. Not because they're separate, but because of how they respond to different locations differently. Btw, luv me some sonosubs!
tonyvdb likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-18-17, 11:06 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

I think I might try 2 setups to start. First, stack 2 subs in the front corners (so you have two 2-sub towers). Maybe start right back in the corner, and then experiment with moving them around a few feet at a time. Second, I'd try 2 in front like you have, and then the other 2 under your surround speakers. You'll have to play with the phase to get them all integrated nicely (have an assistant help you by slowly rotating the dial while you listen at your seat).

It's tough to say how subs will act in an irregular room, so trial and error is kind of the best approach. Not for your back, but for your ears.

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-29-17, 07:35 AM
Shackster

Gotta love a basement with a motorcycle!

Basshead 4 Life

Sony XBR65X900E
Sony STR-DN1080
Sony PS4
Quantum Access Fanless Mini PC Stick
Wow! Ultra Cable
8 x Rockville SPG88 DJ PA Speakers
Dayton Audio SA1000 Sub Amp
Kicker 08S15L74 sub in a T-TQWT (negative flare tapped horn)
post #9 of 9 Old 04-30-17, 12:28 AM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Great space for a projector / screen setup (with blackout curtains of coarse)