Sub wiring - Line in 0r speaker - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 23 Old 05-21-06, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Steve

Send a message via Skype™ to Steve Williamson
Sub wiring - Line in 0r speaker

My current set up is 1 x Richter Krakatoa 100W RMS sub with subwoofer pre-out from Pioneer VSX D814 receiver.

I just read about wiring subs with two cables coming from main speakers out of receiver with one cable going to main speakers and one going to subs speaker in, can someone clarify this for me.

I thought if you used speaker out then the sub didn't use its amp, or is it just bypassing the receivers crossover and the sub will still use its internal amp?

I'm confused

I need to know for the next generation HT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-21-06, 03:08 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Sub wiring - Line in 0r speaker

My suggestion would be to keep it as you have it. Sub pre-out from receiver to line level input on sub amp. I think the only reason those speaker level inputs exist is if you don't have a sub pre-out... (I said I think, so don't hold me to it). Surely some others will have some input on this.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-21-06, 03:32 PM
Senior Shackster

Fincave

Send a message via Skype™ to Fincave

Not sure will this help so don't shoot me. My sub has both a low level input and a high level input connection option. Low level is the regular connection to the sub output of a receiver, processor. Acording to the manual using the high level input connection (which sounds like what you are referring to) " advantage of this method is that the sub receives exactly the same signal as being supplied to the main speakers, this means that the character and tonal balance of the bass from the main speakers is carried though to the sub bass". The manual also meantions " high and low level connections can be used at the same time if required, this has the advantage of being able to connect up a Hi-Fi and AV system simultaneously." Hope this helps!!

post #4 of 23 Old 05-21-06, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Steve

Send a message via Skype™ to Steve Williamson

I think Fincave hit the nail on the head with
Quote:
advantage of this method is that the sub receives exactly the same signal as being supplied to the main speakers, this means that the character and tonal balance of the bass from the main speakers is carried though to the sub bass
This way, the receiver does not mess with any signals and the amps crossover will smooth the transition from mains to sub.

However, does the subs internal amplifier still power the driver with high level input?
post #5 of 23 Old 05-22-06, 12:52 AM
Senior Shackster

Fincave

On MY sub there is a separate gain control for both the low level and high level input connection option so I would presume that the subs amplifier is still powering the driver! Please note: I am only referring to my sub and the manual that came with it!

post #6 of 23 Old 05-22-06, 05:07 PM
Shackster
kingkip

The problem with that method is that now you are relying on the xover of the sub to pull out the low freqs which will then be sent to the spooks. How good is that xover? IMO one more link in the chain to degrade signal quality. Not to mention that your receiver will have to work harder to send the LF stuff to your sub/speakers via it's own amp rather than completely utilizing the sub's amp. Generally you will get better sound by being less demanding on your amplification section, especially on a relatively lower powered receiver. You also need more speaker wire, not such a big deal, but... To top it all off, if you run it that way you are only using the bass sent to the front stereo pair. The center and surround speakers still have to produce a full range. There usually isn't a ton of LFE in the surrounds but there is a good amound in the center.

With the line in the receiver is splitting the signal for you and theoretically doing no harm. The same signal is still sent to both sub and speaks, just part goes one way and part the other. Also it is usually easier to set the xover on the receiver to match the speakers capabilities rather than the subs xover.

Either way the sub's amp is still being utilized. You are just asking your receiver to pull double duty and once again IMO degrading the sound quality the receiver is capable of.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-22-06, 05:11 PM
Shackster
kingkip

Quote:
Steve Williamson wrote:
This way, the receiver does not mess with any signals and the amps crossover will smooth the transition from mains to sub.

Also remeber that the receiver's job is to mess with the signal. They usually do a pretty good job.
post #8 of 23 Old 05-22-06, 05:56 PM
Brian Bunge

Send a message via AIM to Brian Bunge Send a message via Yahoo to Brian Bunge

Unless you have something like the REL subs (which is what it sounds like Fincave might have) then you really should use the low level input(s) on the subwoofer. The sub's amp is being utilized regardless of which inputs you are using but you need to use the receiver's internal crossover so that your speakers are not having to reproduce the bass frequencies that the sub is already reproducing. At least that is what is normally the best route to take for a multi-channel system. This is a more efficient use of amplifier power for your speakers and therefore keeps the receiver's amps from having to work as hard.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-22-06, 06:08 PM
Senior Shackster

I agree with everything mentioned above. Before owning a receiver with a dedicated LFE pre-out I found myself using the High level inputs on my Velodyne. It worked alright until I found out it didnt have the 80hz highlevel crossover I thought it had. This meant that the speakers I connected to the sub wouldn't be crossed over at all, since my main 2 channel stereo receiver at the time had no type of bass managment. Stick with using the LFE pre-out.

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
post #10 of 23 Old 05-22-06, 06:33 PM
Senior Shackster

Fincave

Quote:
Brian Bunge wrote:
Unless you have something like the REL subs (which is what it sounds like Fincave might have)
Maybe I should have mentioned my sub, it is a BK Electronics Monolith, if I remember correctly they supply parts to REL. Not trying to hijack this thread but what is the best connection type if one has a REL/BK Electronics sub. I just use the low level input connection though still have the Neutrik connector packed away somewhere.

My apologies to Steve Williamson for using this thread!