sub dilemma - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 04-29-12, 09:01 PM
Elite Shackster
 
tesseract's Avatar
2 channel view
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 3,697
My System
Re: sub dilemma

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
I have to disagree, I would rather have 2 Outlaw LFM-1 subs over 2 Lava subs but if the choice is 1 Outlaw over 2 Lava's then I would go with the 2 subs every day.
The Lava is being pushed to it's limit. Since park41 can return the Lava, why not get a more capable sub and save for another?

Quote:
While I agree that a sub that goes low is preferable your not going to get a bottom dweller at under $500 unless you go DIY. I don't see were the specs of the Outlaw demolish the Lava and if there are comparison reviews then please point them out.
Not a comparison, but should make the point.

LSP12:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...sp12-subwoofer

LFM-1 Plus:
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...utlaw_lfm1.htm


Quote:
The truth is you are going to get more even response at the MLP with multiple subs 9 times out of 10 than with a single sub.
Not necessarily, a single sub can be EQ'ed flat at the MLP, too. Dual subs that are not properly integrated can exacerbate problems.

The OP wants to smooth the response across several listening positions, which is the main benefit of multiple subs. It sounds like he needs more output down low, too.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
tesseract is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 17 Old 04-29-12, 09:50 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 1,633
My System
Re: sub dilemma

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
The Lava is being pushed to it's limit. Since park41 can return the Lava, why not get a more capable sub and save for another?
I actually have a Lava, I did win it in the contest but can honestly say that it is a capable sub for it's price of under $340. Sure it doesn't compare to my 18" Mael-X or the 21" either but those drivers cost more than Lava by-itself. I honestly am impressed by the Lava and I am not just saying that because I won one.


Quote:
No direct comparison reviews, but plenty demonstrating the large difference in low frequency output. Here are but two.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...sp12-subwoofer
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...fm-1-ex-review
But that is the EX which is $649, not the plus version which the OP is interested in on sale for $499.


Quote:
Not necessarily, a single sub can be EQ'ed flat at the MLP, too. Dual subs that are not properly integrated can exacerbate problems.
You can't get rid of a null with EQ, you can try but your actually causing more problems by trying to boost a null. A null is room associated and if your sitting in the null then you must find a new location in either the MLP or the sub it-self to properly get rid of a null.

Quote:
The OP wants to smooth the response across several listening positions, which is the main benefit of multiple subs. It sounds like he needs more output down low, too.
If he wants to spend the extra money then by all means I think the Outlaw would be a better solution. I just think for his particular problem that adding an second sub would help fix the problem at hand than just replacing a single sub with a more powerful one. His problem is that he has a null at his MLP and a more powerful sub will not alleviate that unless he experiment's with different locations for the sub. If the OP's budget is only about $600 I still contend that a second Lava would be better than a single Outlaw. If he can stretch his budget to $1000 then I agree with you the Outlaw would be the better choice. , if he can stretch his budget to $3000 + some DIY labor than a pair of LMS Ultra 18" and a clone amp will demolish nearly any sub out there.

I don't want to seem like I am being stubborn, the OP just mentioned getting rid of nulls in his room and the solution to that is not a more powerful sub in the same location.
sub_crazy is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 04-29-12, 09:56 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 1,633
My System
Re: sub dilemma

Now that I think about it there is no reason the OP can't add a Outlaw LFM-1 to his Lava sub, they don't necessarily have to be the same sub to work together. The best solution is always the same subs but I have been able to integrate different subs with no problem. Actually one of the best sub demo's I had was right after I moved the only 2 subs I could get up and running right away was the Mael-X 21" sealed and the Lava LSP12 since it was the only commercial sub I had on hand at the time. Sure the 21" is what shook the floor but the Lava did add some nice mid-bass to the mix in my big 28' X 14' room.

The OP would be saving $210 by mixing subs and would have better integration with the room and a lower overall response. If he has the extra $210 than by all means, send back the Lava and get a pair of Outlaw subs.
sub_crazy is offline  
 
post #14 of 17 Old 04-29-12, 10:44 PM
Elite Shackster
 
tesseract's Avatar
2 channel view
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 3,697
My System
Re: sub dilemma

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
But that is the EX which is $649, not the plus version which the OP is interested in on sale for $499.
Thanks, I caught that and edited, must have been while you were typing your response.

Quote:
You can't get rid of a null with EQ, you can try but your actually causing more problems by trying to boost a null. A null is room associated and if your sitting in the null then you must find a new location in either the MLP or the sub it-self to properly get rid of a null.
The OP reports good response at the MLP, depending upon where he placed the sub. Agreed, EQ'ing a sharp null is futile.

Quote:
I don't want to seem like I am being stubborn, the OP just mentioned getting rid of nulls in his room and the solution to that is not a more powerful sub in the same location.
No problem, we are just discussing different points of view. Ideally, I am suggesting two identical subs. I just feel that if you are going to go this far into the hobby, by adding multiple subs, go for the gusto and get a solid LF foundation.

Quote:
Now that I think about it there is no reason the OP can't add a Outlaw LFM-1 to his Lava sub, they don't necessarily have to be the same sub to work together. The best solution is always the same subs but I have been able to integrate different subs with no problem. Actually one of the best sub demo's I had was right after I moved the only 2 subs I could get up and running right away was the Mael-X 21" sealed and the Lava LSP12 since it was the only commercial sub I had on hand at the time. Sure the 21" is what shook the floor but the Lava did add some nice mid-bass to the mix in my big 28' X 14' room.

The OP would be saving $210 by mixing subs and would have better integration with the room and a lower overall response. If he has the extra $210 than by all means, send back the Lava and get a pair of Outlaw subs.
This might be feasible, but I think we agree that dual Outlaws would be best. If the OP is happy with the sound of the single Lava, and money is a consideration, adding another LSP12 would save the most and be the way to go.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
tesseract is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 04-30-12, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 67
Thanks for info, you've given me alot to think about and taught me some things. Also , the lava I have tends to vibrate things pretty well, including pictures air return vent and metal over fireplace. Would something like a subdude or any other isolator help in reducing these vibrations?
park41 is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 04-30-12, 08:50 PM
Elite Shackster
 
tesseract's Avatar
2 channel view
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 3,697
My System
Re: sub dilemma

My listening room is over suspended flooring, vibrations travel through the floor, into the walls and throughout the house. SubDudes under my subs helped reduce this greatly.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
tesseract is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 05-09-12, 08:40 PM
Shackster
DK
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Posts: 43
My System
Re: sub dilemma

Isolating and raising a subwoofer off the ground is one of the most underestimated tweaks you may do to improve the overall performance of the subwoofer. Quite frankly, if you're still at odds between dual vs one sub, I personally would recommend dual subwoofers first. It wouldn't be horrible to consider, once you save the money to buy a better subwoofer (or two) to replace the dual subs you have. Dual subs, when appropriately integrated, can easily provide a greater improvement over a single subwoofer's improved bass extension, in most cases, when nulls are playing into the issue.
Driver_King is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
dilemma

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome