sub dilemma - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 04-28-12, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

sub dilemma

Hey guys needs some advice on what to do. I purchased a lava lsp 12 for 288. I like the sub, but I was wanting a little more punch. I was thinking about getting another one to maybe help balance out the room because it sounds better at different listening locations(I am limited to it facing me). I see that outlaw has the lfm 1 plus on sale for 499 with free shipping. So my question is should I return the lava and get the outlaw or get another lava to balance out room response? My room is 17x15 with vaulted ceiling that opens into a 15x11x8 kitchen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-28-12, 11:47 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Re: sub dilemma

With only one sub you will have nulls at various spots in the room. My suggestion would be to grab another sub and do some testing/positioning at different spots in the room to find out what works best.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-29-12, 02:22 AM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

I would return the Lava. Subs are meant to dig low, something the Outlaw does better. Then save up for a second LFM 1, wouldn't you rather have two of those instead?

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks

post #4 of 17 Old 04-29-12, 07:05 AM
Senior Shackster

My System
I've got to agree with tesseract. Return the Lava and grab the lfm plus. It has more output and digs a lot deeper with more quality bass. My buddy has the Lava and while it's a good budget sub, the lfm plus is much better and of you can afford to get it, go for it.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-29-12, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks guys for the input. Would a second lava do more to deal with nulls in the room. Or would the outlaw, because of the increased output, eliminate alot of them?
post #6 of 17 Old 04-29-12, 12:42 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

park41 - You have a pretty big space to fill. Given a choice, I wouldn't even try to fill that space with two Lava's. The Outlaw will give you at least twice as much output below 30 Hz, probably more. I recommend getting one now and save for a second one next time the sale hits.

Have you measured your room response? If so, where do the problem nulls lie?

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #7 of 17 Old 04-29-12, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I haven't done any measurements. I have the sub too the right of my av stand, which is also at the lowest point of my ceiling. The bass is good there, I also tried the sub to the left of my stand, which is toward the tallest part of my ceiling and the bass decreases, which I guess makes sense. I also have the sub gain at the 1o clock position in order to get any thump out of it. Is the this running the sub hot?
post #8 of 17 Old 04-29-12, 05:01 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

1 o'clock is at the edge, but as long as the sub driver isn't making untoward noises and the amp remains a reasonable temperature I think it will be fine.

You may be pushing the gain in an attempt to get bass that isn't there, the Lava rolls off pretty heavily below 30 Hz. The Lava sub is decent for the price, but an Outlaw it is not. I would rather have one LFM-1 than two LSP12's.

post #9 of 17 Old 04-29-12, 07:33 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I have to disagree, I would rather have 2 Outlaw LFM-1 subs over 2 Lava subs but if the choice is 1 Outlaw over 2 Lava's then I would go with the 2 subs every day.

While I agree that a sub that goes low is preferable your not going to get a bottom dweller at under $500 unless you go DIY. I don't see were the specs of the Outlaw demolish the Lava and if there are comparison reviews then please point them out.

The truth is you are going to get more even response at the MLP with multiple subs 9 times out of 10 than with a single sub.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-29-12, 07:39 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
park41 wrote: View Post
Thanks guys for the input. Would a second lava do more to deal with nulls in the room. Or would the outlaw, because of the increased output, eliminate alot of them?
Increasing the output at a single location does not deal with room nulls. A 6db dip at 40hz will still be there regardless of what sub you use. There may be a location in your room that has a better response, only moving it around the room and testing will tell you that. Multiple subs usually help a lot but placement is still key to get good room response.