Subwoofer Tests - Fall 2007 - Page 14 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #131 of 475 Old 10-15-07, 08:48 AM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr
Re: Subwoofer Tests - Fall 2007

Quote:
Exocer wrote: View Post
Sorry to take this thread off topic...but bob, have you noticed any subjective differences between the two drivers?
Other than no extra unwanted noises? No. The SDX15 just disappears normally, like a well integrated/calibrated sub should. Extra deep LFE from movies or low bass from organ music is "there" like it should be. So I feel that not noticing (rattling, buzzes, port chuffing) the subwoofer is good.

So for me a subjective good criteria, is not noticing the speakers or the subwoofer. If I crank up the sub level above calibration -- then I notice the sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 475 Old 10-15-07, 09:27 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
bobgpsr wrote: View Post
Other than no extra unwanted noises? No. The SDX15 just disappears normally, like a well integrated/calibrated sub should. Extra deep LFE from movies or low bass from organ music is "there" like it should be. So I feel that not noticing (rattling, buzzes, port chuffing) the subwoofer is good.

So for me a subjective good criteria, is not noticing the speakers or the subwoofer. If I crank up the sub level above calibration -- then I notice the sub.
Well that sounds brilliant! I had given some thought to sending my Tumult to Robot Underground for a re-cone, but am having a hard time deciding if i should trade-in the Tumult and go with an SDX-15 or get my Tumult fixed for $110 to complete my subjective SQ thread.

Honestly I may go the re-cone route, since theres already so much objective information about the SDX-15 at this point. Thanks again Ilkka

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
post #133 of 475 Old 10-15-07, 11:06 AM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Quote:
Ilkka wrote: View Post

The peak spec for the LMS-5400 is 8000 watts, but I'm guessing that's way way underrated.
I have yet to push my own LMS to it's limits. I'm hesitant (more careful) using my Crown XTi 4000 since I HAVE already fried a 400 watt VC accidentally switching the wires from the LMS to a Cadence 18" with the 400 watt rating without first shutting down the amp. Everyone makes mistakes in the heat of excitement
A fried VC is hard to see unless you remove the damaged parts. I'm leaving the the Cadence speaker as is while I decide whether or not to have it reconed.
The Cadence voice coil of course had bottomed out and then blew the dust cap off just before the VC separated from the cone and tore off almost all of the suspension spider. The VC remains attached to the wire leads and the surround was not torn from the basket or damaged.
I checked the VC for electrical continuity and of course there was none.

post #134 of 475 Old 10-15-07, 12:16 PM
Shackster
Chris

I would strongly recommend against using Robot underground for reconing your Tumult. I've met Patrick before and he seems like a nice guy and everything. However, he's using the wrong coil design. XBL^2 design are sensitivity to using the right coil length and he's not even close. This totally screws up the BL curve (creating a huge BL peak in the center 5 mm or so of travel).

I'd definitely talk to Scott at www.ficaraudio.com (or in his forum here). I believe that he still stocks that coil. If not, he could use the REXXX aluminum coil (but with a single soft spider).
post #135 of 475 Old 10-15-07, 12:24 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Chris Brunhaver wrote: View Post
I would strongly recommend against using Robot underground for reconing your Tumult. I've met Patrick before and he seems like a nice guy and everything. However, he's using the wrong coil design. XBL^2 design are sensitivity to using the right coil length and he's not even close. This totally screws up the BL curve (creating a huge BL peak in the center 5 mm or so of travel).

I'd definitely talk to Scott at www.ficaraudio.com (or in his forum here). I believe that he still stocks that coil. If not, he could use the REXXX aluminum coil (but with a single soft spider).
Very glad my post caught your attention...Thanks a lot.

I'll wait to hear back from Fi.

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
post #136 of 475 Old 10-16-07, 12:46 AM
Shackster
mojomike

Hi Ilkka. How are the prospects for that 13Ultra test? Do you think you will get a chance any time soon?
post #137 of 475 Old 10-16-07, 07:03 AM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
mojomike wrote: View Post
Hi Ilkka. How are the prospects for that 13Ultra test? Do you think you will get a chance any time soon?
Ditto.

Your test are highly respected and others including myself are very interested in how it objectively test out. Especially in the distortion area.
post #138 of 475 Old 10-16-07, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
mojomike wrote: View Post
Does this answer to your question?

post #139 of 475 Old 10-16-07, 12:46 PM
Shackster
mojomike

Yes indeedy! That's what I'm talkin' about.
post #140 of 475 Old 10-16-07, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

The lists below now contain these new entries:

SVS PB12-NSD new
SVS PB13-Ultra 10 Hz
SVS PB13-Ultra 15 Hz
SVS PB13-Ultra 20 Hz
SVS PB13-Ultra sealed

I believe Ultra's four tuning frequencies/settings go without saying. The "PB12-NSD new" is the latest revision of this model. Performance of the new PB13-Ultra in all settings, but especially in 20 Hz and 15 Hz, is very convincing. From all the subwoofers I have tested thus far (using the CEA-2010 test), in addition to the JL Audio Fathom f113, the new Ultra is the only commercial subwoofer that can even slightly tremble the "top 10" ruled by the all mighty DIY subwoofers.

Pictures from today (starting from #93)

Yes, I was able to blow the internal main fuse of the PB13-Ultra - twice. It didn't seem to like my 30 second long sine sweeps at extreme levels (I was expecting this based on AV Talk's measurements though). More dynamic signals like the CEA-2010 bursts didn't cause any troubles, even at extreme levels. It shouldn't be possible to blow the fuse using regular program material. This "problem" doesn't have anything to do with the other PB13-Ultra amp problem (shut-down due to bad batch of components combined with sagging 110 V voltage). There are no reports of shutting down 230 V versions of the new Ultra.

Alphabetical list:

"Low-bass Avg. 40 Hz - 63 Hz" list:

"Ultra low-bass Avg. 20 Hz - 31.5 Hz" list:

"Avg. 20 Hz - 80 Hz" list (operating range of a normal/good subwoofer):