KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 45
Re: KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread

Some pictures of my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread-1.jpg  

KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread-2.jpg  

Darkmatter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 03:47 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London UK
Posts: 4,015
Re: KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread

Quote:
Darkmatter wrote: View Post
"The side of the DXD cabinet with the side driver is designed to be optimally placed 2-4" from the wall, preferably in a good solid corner of the room. For most rooms, I usually recommend first locating the DXD in the closest solid corner to your primary listening position. So, if the closest solid corner (no nearby openings like an open door) is in the back of the room, try it there first. "

It just states the site driver is designed to be placed 2-4" from a wall, i find this interesting as the majority of the articles i've ever read on subwoofer placement state that bass frequencies are omni directional, so if i had a forward firing sub and rotated it. It would still sound the same, its why downwarrd firing or forward firing also makes little difference. So with that i fully understand why the sub should be place in a "good solid corner" to improve its coupling with the room, but what difference will it make rotating it 90 degrees? So the driver is firing ino the room instead of into a wall.
That will depend on a multitude of things, like the size of the room / construction type / furnishings / all of these with have there own attenuation on the performance of the sub woofer, but as Ken has already stated his designs are meant for corner placement or near it which is its optimal placement.
recruit is offline  
post #93 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 03:49 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London UK
Posts: 4,015
Re: KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread

Quote:
Darkmatter wrote: View Post
Some pictures of my setup.
WOW - That is a brilliant set up you have there Darkmatter and the sub woofer looks really cool located there, very nice indeed
recruit is offline  
 
post #94 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 03:49 AM
Senior Shackster
 
Audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 110
Re: KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread

Quote:
Darkmatter wrote: View Post
"The side of the DXD cabinet with the side driver is designed to be optimally placed 2-4" from the wall, preferably in a good solid corner of the room. For most rooms, I usually recommend first locating the DXD in the closest solid corner to your primary listening position. So, if the closest solid corner (no nearby openings like an open door) is in the back of the room, try it there first. "

It just states the site driver is designed to be placed 2-4" from a wall, i find this interesting as the majority of the articles i've ever read on subwoofer placement state that bass frequencies are omni directional, so if i had a forward firing sub and rotated it. It would still sound the same, its why downwarrd firing or forward firing also makes little difference. So with that i fully understand why the sub should be place in a "good solid corner" to improve its coupling with the room, but what difference will it make rotating it 90 degrees? So the driver is firing ino the room instead of into a wall.
And that my friend is the million dollar question and I suspect time domain and group delay ??
Audiofan1 is offline  
post #95 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 03:52 AM
Senior Shackster
 
Audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 110
Re: KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread

Quote:
recruit wrote: View Post
WOW - That is a brilliant set up you have there Darkmatter and the sub woofer looks really cool located there, very nice indeed
+1 sweet setup!
Audiofan1 is offline  
post #96 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 03:57 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London UK
Posts: 4,015
Re: KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread

Quote:
Audiofan1 wrote: View Post
And that my friend is the million dollar question and I suspect time domain and group delay ??
The time domain and group delay response times will be affected when placed in different locations, usually with the flattest response I would suggest that the group delay and impulse response times are at there best.
recruit is offline  
post #97 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 04:03 AM
Senior Shackster
 
Audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 110
Re: KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread

Quote:
recruit wrote: View Post
The time domain and group delay response times will be affected when placed in different locations, usually with the flattest response I would suggest that the group delay and impulse response times are at there best.
Helps with room modes as well right ?
Audiofan1 is offline  
post #98 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 04:12 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London UK
Posts: 4,015
Re: KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread

Quote:
Audiofan1 wrote: View Post
Helps with room modes as well right ?
No, room modes are something that is created by the boundaries of the room with the multiples of sign waves forming at certain frequencies which create a room mode, this is why trying to achieve the best location to the nearest corner is recommended to try and achieve the flattest response, your ears are the best measuring device and usually tells you when something does not sound right, and moving the sub can usually make all the difference away from the corner usually helps but still facing the wall.
recruit is offline  
post #99 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 45
Re: KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread

Thanks for the compliments. In regards to the rotating 90 degrees i think the real answer is only known to ken himself. It makes no difference to the frequency response or time delay.

I have a simulated response for the room. Originally i had the sub in the front right corner under the right speaker, i found it intergrates better in the front left. The simulated response is also much better.
Attached Thumbnails
KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread-3.jpg  

Darkmatter is offline  
post #100 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 04:33 AM
Senior Shackster
 
Audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 110
Re: KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread

Quote:
recruit wrote: View Post
No, room modes are something that is created by the boundaries of the room with the multiples of sign waves forming at certain frequencies which create a room mode, this is why trying to achieve the best location to the nearest corner is recommended to try and achieve the flattest response, your ears are the best measuring device and usually tells you when something does not sound right, and moving the sub can usually make all the difference away from the corner usually helps but still facing the wall.
Tell me about it I spent the better part of an afternoon fine tuning my DXD down to approximately 6 I/3" from the rear of the wall and 2 3/4 of an inch from the side as I used music to determine the best overall balance, with the M&K MX150 Mk2 it replaced this was not so and it benefited at almost 11" all around in the same corner which I determined many years ago as the best for subs, I hope to get some pics up soon .
Audiofan1 is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
dxd , kk , owners , thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome