KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #91 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread

Some pictures of my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread-1.jpg  

KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread-2.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 03:47 AM
Banned!

Quote:
Darkmatter wrote: View Post
"The side of the DXD cabinet with the side driver is designed to be optimally placed 2-4" from the wall, preferably in a good solid corner of the room. For most rooms, I usually recommend first locating the DXD in the closest solid corner to your primary listening position. So, if the closest solid corner (no nearby openings like an open door) is in the back of the room, try it there first. "

It just states the site driver is designed to be placed 2-4" from a wall, i find this interesting as the majority of the articles i've ever read on subwoofer placement state that bass frequencies are omni directional, so if i had a forward firing sub and rotated it. It would still sound the same, its why downwarrd firing or forward firing also makes little difference. So with that i fully understand why the sub should be place in a "good solid corner" to improve its coupling with the room, but what difference will it make rotating it 90 degrees? So the driver is firing ino the room instead of into a wall.
That will depend on a multitude of things, like the size of the room / construction type / furnishings / all of these with have there own attenuation on the performance of the sub woofer, but as Ken has already stated his designs are meant for corner placement or near it which is its optimal placement.
post #93 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 03:49 AM
Banned!

Quote:
Some pictures of my setup.
WOW - That is a brilliant set up you have there Darkmatter and the sub woofer looks really cool located there, very nice indeed

post #94 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 03:49 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
"The side of the DXD cabinet with the side driver is designed to be optimally placed 2-4" from the wall, preferably in a good solid corner of the room. For most rooms, I usually recommend first locating the DXD in the closest solid corner to your primary listening position. So, if the closest solid corner (no nearby openings like an open door) is in the back of the room, try it there first. "

It just states the site driver is designed to be placed 2-4" from a wall, i find this interesting as the majority of the articles i've ever read on subwoofer placement state that bass frequencies are omni directional, so if i had a forward firing sub and rotated it. It would still sound the same, its why downwarrd firing or forward firing also makes little difference. So with that i fully understand why the sub should be place in a "good solid corner" to improve its coupling with the room, but what difference will it make rotating it 90 degrees? So the driver is firing ino the room instead of into a wall.
And that my friend is the million dollar question and I suspect time domain and group delay ??
post #95 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 03:52 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
recruit wrote: View Post
WOW - That is a brilliant set up you have there Darkmatter and the sub woofer looks really cool located there, very nice indeed
+1 sweet setup!
post #96 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 03:57 AM
Banned!

Quote:
Audiofan1 wrote: View Post
And that my friend is the million dollar question and I suspect time domain and group delay ??
The time domain and group delay response times will be affected when placed in different locations, usually with the flattest response I would suggest that the group delay and impulse response times are at there best.
post #97 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 04:03 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
The time domain and group delay response times will be affected when placed in different locations, usually with the flattest response I would suggest that the group delay and impulse response times are at there best.
Helps with room modes as well right ?
post #98 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 04:12 AM
Banned!

Quote:
Audiofan1 wrote: View Post
Helps with room modes as well right ?
No, room modes are something that is created by the boundaries of the room with the multiples of sign waves forming at certain frequencies which create a room mode, this is why trying to achieve the best location to the nearest corner is recommended to try and achieve the flattest response, your ears are the best measuring device and usually tells you when something does not sound right, and moving the sub can usually make all the difference away from the corner usually helps but still facing the wall.
post #99 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the compliments. In regards to the rotating 90 degrees i think the real answer is only known to ken himself. It makes no difference to the frequency response or time delay.

I have a simulated response for the room. Originally i had the sub in the front right corner under the right speaker, i found it intergrates better in the front left. The simulated response is also much better.
Attached Thumbnails
KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread-3.jpg  

post #100 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 04:33 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
No, room modes are something that is created by the boundaries of the room with the multiples of sign waves forming at certain frequencies which create a room mode, this is why trying to achieve the best location to the nearest corner is recommended to try and achieve the flattest response, your ears are the best measuring device and usually tells you when something does not sound right, and moving the sub can usually make all the difference away from the corner usually helps but still facing the wall.
Tell me about it I spent the better part of an afternoon fine tuning my DXD down to approximately 6 I/3" from the rear of the wall and 2 3/4 of an inch from the side as I used music to determine the best overall balance, with the M&K MX150 Mk2 it replaced this was not so and it benefited at almost 11" all around in the same corner which I determined many years ago as the best for subs, I hope to get some pics up soon .