KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread - Page 17 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #161 of 365 Old 09-04-13, 02:36 PM
Shackster

Re: KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread

Greetings all! I'm new here to the forum, and I just wanted to share some thoughts on my DXD-12012. I have owned this sub since January, and it has been an exemplary performer in my sound system. My previous sub was the M&K MX-350 MKII, which I traded in towards the DXD-12012. Honestly I can't share much more new insight beyond what has already been said about this product. The 12012 is a clean, powerful, accurate subwoofer. My room is a little unusual, in that it has no back wall. The home theater opens into the dining room, and because of this, I don't feel I can take full advantage of the corner-loading. Measurements I have taken with XTZ seem to confirm this. Despite this, the 12012 has been able to energize my home theater with some pretty impressive bass. I'll continue my impressions a little later and add a few pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 365 Old 09-04-13, 02:41 PM
Banned!

Welcome Thedus and great to see you on the forum look forward to some pictures
post #163 of 365 Old 09-04-13, 04:54 PM
Senior Shackster
lesmor

Quote:
Thedus wrote: View Post
Greetings all! I'm new here to the forum, and I just wanted to share some thoughts on my DXD-12012. I have owned this sub since January, and it has been an exemplary performer in my sound system. My previous sub was the M&K MX-350 MKII, which I traded in towards the DXD-12012. Honestly I can't share much more new insight beyond what has already been said about this product. The 12012 is a clean, powerful, accurate subwoofer. My room is a little unusual, in that it has no back wall. The home theater opens into the dining room, and because of this, I don't feel I can take full advantage of the corner-loading. Measurements I have taken with XTZ seem to confirm this. Despite this, the 12012 has been able to energize my home theater with some pretty impressive bass. I'll continue my impressions a little later and add a few pics!
Hi Thedus
Looking forward to the pics
If I get my MK Sound-350's sold a couple of DXD 2012's are on my shortlist
I'd be interested in seeing any graphs you might have using the XTZ ( Which I also have ) as its off thread perhaps you could PM them?

post #164 of 365 Old 09-05-13, 12:53 AM
Shackster

Thank you for the greetings! Lesmor, if you can swing it, grab a 12012. You wont be disappointed. Do you live in the States? If so, take advantage of Kens trade-in program! Here are some of those pics I promised. I'm considering trying the front right corner position for the sub again, behind the speaker. Perhaps this weekend if I'm free I'll measure the changes and post my results...
Attached Thumbnails
KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread-100_1801.jpg  

KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread-100_1802.jpg  

KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread-100_1800.jpg  

post #165 of 365 Old 09-05-13, 01:23 AM
Banned!

Looks fantastic Thedus, and with the solid ST1/S150 stands it looks the business, one serious set up indeed

Last edited by recruit; 09-05-13 at 01:39 AM. Reason: correction
post #166 of 365 Old 09-05-13, 03:07 AM
Senior Shackster
lesmor

Hi Thedus
Great pics
Yes I'm from the UK so trade in is not an option you guys are spoiled in that regard
I also love the stands have never seen these in the UK

One question that has always puzzled me and I have looked at many pictures to try and find a definitive answer is

How do you properly orientate S-150 speakers?

It would appear that you have yours all in the same plane
It would also appear from THX images that I have seen that the tweeters should be on the inside meaning that one of the outside speakers should be inverted
I have also looked a photos of studios that use S-150's but there seems no consistency i.e tweeters on the inside tweeters on the outside
I would have thought that because of the design there has to be a correct way to have these speakers aligned?
For what its worth I have my S-150's with the tweeters on the inside as I was fed up swapping them trying to emulate photos I had seen
All this might seem pointless but I just want to get things right

Last edited by lesmor; 09-05-13 at 04:15 AM.
post #167 of 365 Old 09-05-13, 03:42 AM
Banned!

Lesmor - IIRC when I had the S150 with ST1 stands there where at the time an updated version of the S150 where the tweeter arrangement was changed from facing inwards to the outside of the L/R versions of the S150's I cannot remember what the reason for the change was but maybe Ken could enlighten us?
post #168 of 365 Old 09-05-13, 04:14 AM
Senior Shackster
lesmor

Quote:
recruit wrote: View Post
Lesmor - IIRC when I had the S150 with ST1 stands there where at the time an updated version of the S150 where the tweeter arrangement was changed from facing inwards to the outside of the L/R versions of the S150's I cannot remember what the reason for the change was but maybe Ken could enlighten us?
Hi Recruit
Thanks for the reply
I did not think there was a Left and Right S-150 ( Other than the angled version )
I should have perhaps clarified that that it is the MK Sound S-150's that I have, and they perhaps bear no resemblance to the originals ( Although MK Sound advertising would have you think otherwise, I also notice in this months HCC review they have even gone back to the name M&K?)
post #169 of 365 Old 09-05-13, 04:15 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Thedus wrote: View Post
Thank you for the greetings! Lesmor, if you can swing it, grab a 12012. You wont be disappointed. Do you live in the States? If so, take advantage of Kens trade-in program! Here are some of those pics I promised. I'm considering trying the front right corner position for the sub again, behind the speaker. Perhaps this weekend if I'm free I'll measure the changes and post my results...
Nice setup!
post #170 of 365 Old 09-05-13, 04:46 AM
Banned!

Quote:
lesmor wrote: View Post
Hi Recruit
Thanks for the reply
I did not think there was a Left and Right S-150 ( Other than the angled version )
I should have perhaps clarified that that it is the MK Sound S-150's that I have, and they perhaps bear no resemblance to the originals ( Although MK Sound advertising would have you think otherwise, I also notice in this months HCC review they have even gone back to the name M&K?)
Ah I see Lesmor, I thought you had the original M&K's not the copies Lol !