KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #11 of 365 Old 08-15-13, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread

As i have only been into home cinema kit for about 4-5 years. I have only recently been introduced to M&K and now KK stuff, but from my experience of my KK sub i am perfectly willing to put my trust in if KK tells me the DUO is awesome then he is right!

I live right near FrankHarvey so its a shame that they stopped selling KK as i would imagine i could have borrowed a 808 for a few days to test it vs my 12012.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 365 Old 08-15-13, 05:27 AM
Banned!

Quote:
Darkmatter wrote: View Post
As i have only been into home cinema kit for about 4-5 years. I have only recently been introduced to M&K and now KK stuff, but from my experience of my KK sub i am perfectly willing to put my trust in if KK tells me the DUO is awesome then he is right!

I live right near FrankHarvey so its a shame that they stopped selling KK as i would imagine i could have borrowed a 808 for a few days to test it vs my 12012.
Yes, I feel exactly the same about the Frankharvey situation, but I believe that it was out of Ken's hands as L Sound are the one's that took that decision to make them a direct sell product
post #13 of 365 Old 08-15-13, 05:32 AM
Banned!

I have been using Ken's speakers and subs for about 10 years and will continue to use them as they are considered to be some if not the best for studio's and film makers, but once you get to listen to a full Ken Kreisel speaker and sub package then you are hooked for life

post #14 of 365 Old 08-15-13, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Oh well. At least from my experience Jan at L - Sound seems a good person to deal with and always gets back to you quickly and is helpful with answering questions.

I am not sure if i asked you recruit but i still am none the wiser. When i connect

RCA(AVR)-RCA(808) the AVR trims the so to -12 (green dot position)
RCA(AVR)-XLR(808) the avr trims the sub to -2 (green dot position)

Is it part of the design? Its good news for if i got a DUO 808 as there will still be enough trim left on the subwoofer channel to set them both to the green dot position. I just wondered if there was anything wrong with the XLR or RCA connection to get such a big disparity between the two.
post #15 of 365 Old 08-15-13, 05:40 AM
Banned!

XLR is a balanced connection and therefore the noise floor level is brought down dramatically and this could be why you are getting such better results using the XLR connections over the RCA ones.
post #16 of 365 Old 08-15-13, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Yeah i originally got the RCA-XLR connection as i much prefer XLR connections due to how snugly they fit together. It also seemed to reduce the slight hum the sub gave out when the AVR is not turned on. So i have been very pleased with it for that.

Maybe the reduced volume is because the if it was a XLR-XLR cable there would be two "hot" pins as such which would give the subs input more voltage which would generate a higher output. These are all wild guesses.

EDIT

An RCA-XLR is still unbalanced due to it only having a single hot pin.
post #17 of 365 Old 08-15-13, 06:59 AM
Banned!

Quote:
Darkmatter wrote: View Post
Yeah i originally got the RCA-XLR connection as i much prefer XLR connections due to how snugly they fit together. It also seemed to reduce the slight hum the sub gave out when the AVR is not turned on. So i have been very pleased with it for that.

Maybe the reduced volume is because the if it was a XLR-XLR cable there would be two "hot" pins as such which would give the subs input more voltage which would generate a higher output. These are all wild guesses.

EDIT

An RCA-XLR is still unbalanced due to it only having a single hot pin.
Obviously it is having some benefit, when I get the other DXD808 then I will have to use XLR cables to pass through, so I will see for myself what results they yield when I get round to connecting up
post #18 of 365 Old 08-15-13, 09:26 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Proud owner of a single dxd 12012. Thanks to this wonderful forum and thanks to Ken for amazing product.
post #19 of 365 Old 08-15-13, 09:30 AM
Banned!

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
Proud owner of a single dxd 12012. Thanks to this wonderful forum and thanks to Ken for amazing product.
Yes, you won the KK sub didn't you asere on the forum?
post #20 of 365 Old 08-15-13, 09:38 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
recruit wrote: View Post

Yes, you won the KK sub didn't you asere on the forum?
Yes I did. I couldn't believe it when I was notified.