KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #51 of 365 Old 08-18-13, 01:50 AM
Sound & Design

Re: KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread

Quote:
Darkmatter wrote: View Post
Something I was thinking about yesterday, I wonder what the same maximum volume level is for the follow combinations,

Single 808
Single 12012
Duo 808 etc etc

From the sub some measurements it seems its outdoor 2m value is 105db, so indoors corner loaded you get +12db, but then younlose -3 to -6db from listening like 3-4m away. So that makes its limit at about 114db. Which with the combined lfe channel and satellites 0 is at Max 123db, its save to use a single 808 or 12012 up to -10 without damaging it?

Then a duo would be 6db higher so approximately -5 then you would need a trio or quattro for reference or higher bass?

I am not sure if I am miles off or not, what do you guys think?
First let me say that you don't have to worry about damaging a DXD-808 or DXD-12012, they can take just about anything you can throw at them. They are built for continuous, year in and year out, heavy duty studio use where you cannot imagine what is both deliberately and unintentionally sent to the subwoofer during major blockbuster film sound design sessions, I assure you it is far beyond your wildest sonic imagination. Also realize that the DXD's can take all of this even though they do not have the usual high-pass protection filter (which ruins the transients and impact) used by most subwoofer manufacturers (out of fear of damage to their amp and/or driver with high level subsonic signals).

The only caveat is if you have line voltage in excess of 240 volts and do heavy duty subsonic testing with test tones or accidently or deliberately do a high level auto calibration sweep (usually below 10Hz), there is a remote possibility you might fatigue the AC power fuse which is there to protect the amp from abuse or from large power surges from lightning storms or extreme power line surges, and the fatigued fuse might blow when the DXD is turned on due to an excess power surge on turn-on, again usually only if your line voltage is in excess of 240 volts (I have only seen this issue with a handful of owners in the UK and Singapore where they have all measured their line voltage in excess of 240 volts). A new line fuse takes care of it.

Also worth noting as I previously posted:

The DXD's performance secret (please don't tell my competition this secret) is they are very specifically and deliberately and scientifically designed to give optimum bass performance in a real room or studio with real walls, not in a parking lot outdoors where a lot of review measurements are made for subwoofer comparison purposes. The same holds true for close-up type measurements where only part of a DXD's output is actually measured.

The DXD's put out a sound pressure wave in multiple directions and cannot be properly measured outdoors or close-up, this is a big mistake some reviewers are making. It is somewhat analogous to trying to measure the horsepower on the ground of an ALL WHEEL DRIVE vehicle with a dynamometer, but only measuring the horsepower at one wheel.

I actually get a big kick at the outdoor and close-up review measurements which show the DXD's appearing to have unusual output levels and response, and then when a reviewer listens and measures in a room they usually comment they cannot believe how much pants flapping energy and impact is heard and felt in their real listening room with real walls and how low the DXD's measure in the room. Remember (another top secret not to tell my competitors), I don't use high pass protection filters in my subs (they ruin the bass impact) so they will go all the way down in a real room with real walls.

My mentor, Dr. Lester M. Field, used to say "the device is the perfect analog of itself!"

Please forgive my reposting part of a previous post...KEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 365 Old 08-18-13, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
KEN KREISEL wrote: View Post
First let me say that you don't have to worry about damaging a DXD-808 or DXD-12012, they can take just about anything you can throw at them. They are built for continuous, year in and year out, heavy duty studio use where you cannot imagine what is both deliberately and unintentionally sent to the subwoofer during major blockbuster film sound design sessions, I assure you it is far beyond your wildest sonic imagination. Also realize that the DXD's can take all of this even though they do not have the usual high-pass protection filter (which ruins the transients and impact) used by most subwoofer manufacturers (out of fear of damage to their amp and/or driver with high level subsonic signals).

The only caveat is if you have line voltage in excess of 240 volts and do heavy duty subsonic testing with test tones or accidently or deliberately do a high level auto calibration sweep (usually below 10Hz), there is a remote possibility you might fatigue the AC power fuse which is there to protect the amp from abuse or from large power surges from lightning storms or extreme power line surges, and the fatigued fuse might blow when the DXD is turned on due to an excess power surge on turn-on, again usually only if your line voltage is in excess of 240 volts (I have only seen this issue with a handful of owners in the UK and Singapore where they have all measured their line voltage in excess of 240 volts). A new line fuse takes care of it.
Thanks for the reply ken, its good to know I have need not to worry about blowing up the sub! It was producing some serious bass during the pod race scene at -10! I know in comparison to the max output tests and using test tones for hours on end, music and film use is absolutely nothing in terms of load on the driver and amp!

I will add your response to the first page, be good to keep it up to date with all the answers incase any new owners stumble across this thread.
post #53 of 365 Old 08-18-13, 02:46 AM
Banned!

Quote:
lol +5 for the sub is a bit beyond what I would listen to.

It was more I was watching star wars episode 1 pod race scene at -10 wondering what the same max volume I could turn it up before I broke it! (Like recruit the 808 is my baby so I am very protective about it!)
I would not worry to much about the levels, the subs will be more than able to handle 0db, I was listening to DVD-Audio's at around -2db and it was loud but not at all hard to listen to at all, it is whether the rest of your system is happy running at those levels ie your other, speakers, power amp, or AVR's, which will show signs of stress well before the KK subs will, but I bet the rest of your kit will be fine Darkmatter

post #54 of 365 Old 08-18-13, 02:50 AM
Shackster

Quote:
recruit wrote: View Post

I would love a dedicated room but I do not think that will be possible now, but I'll have to slum it for the time being with it being in the lounge, tbh I do not have room to put mine right up in the corner as my ProAc's take up so much room but if it sounded off then I would certainly of tried different positions in the room but where it is, sounds very very good indeed, even if I'm getting 90% it is a bloody good 90 of it's performance

Not too sure tbh when I am going to get another, when I can afford to I suppose Lol! but for now I am enjoying what I have got, watched Pain & Gain last night and I must say the bass in that film was brilliant, real punch to it, just made me chuckle every time, and with a huge grin on my face, it's bass presented the Ken Kreisel way
Yeh watched that the other night too, crazy awesome bass throughout! if you're after awesome powerful detailed bass and only way is the KK way mate!
post #55 of 365 Old 08-18-13, 03:03 AM
Banned!

Quote:
Audiofan1 wrote: View Post
On more than one occasion I've watched movies at 0 with an additional + 5db hot on the sub output, in fact it was tonite watching Wrath of the Titans and the 12012 just got louder and louder as the room and chair shook . I really don't know how hard it can be driven and to be honest that's as high as I'm willing to go as its a terrifying experience and don't know what i'll do when I stack the second I just love its clean, clean output.
Hey, Audiofan1 good to see you on here, I have read some of your posts, and you are well and truly in the KK club for sure

Quote:
kenny powers wrote: View Post
Yeh watched that the other night too, crazy awesome bass throughout! if you're after awesome powerful detailed bass and only way is the KK way mate!
Yeah, great film Andrew, and a good one to flex the DXD muscles
post #56 of 365 Old 08-18-13, 03:39 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Hey, Audiofan1 good to see you on here, I have read some of your posts, and you are well and truly in the KK club for sure

Yeah, great film Andrew, and a good one to flex the DXD muscles
Hey! recruit yeah I finally took the plunge and signed on, you guys seemed to be having a good time and I couldn't hold out any longer. I'll try to get some pics up as soon as I figure it out.
post #57 of 365 Old 08-18-13, 03:47 AM
Banned!

Quote:
Audiofan1 wrote: View Post
Hey! recruit yeah I finally took the plunge and signed on, you guys seemed to be having a good time and I couldn't hold out any longer. I'll try to get some pics up as soon as I figure it out.
Yep, it is good to see you on here, I have been reading some of your posts on AVForums, with some interest, cannot wait to see to some pic's of your set up matey
post #58 of 365 Old 08-18-13, 04:01 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
lol +5 for the sub is a bit beyond what I would listen to.

It was more I was watching star wars episode 1 pod race scene at -10 wondering what the same max volume I could turn it up before I broke it! (Like recruit the 808 is my baby so I am very protective about it!)
Just knowing what's on tap and going through a great deal to get the foundation of my setup as best I could , playing a movie back at reference in the past would indeed be loud with various peaks due to some area's being out of proportion to those that where up to the task! After leveling the playing field (DXD being one of the upgrades) its like taking sports car with 200mph capabilities to the autobahn to cut lose after being confined to day to day driving. I only go reference on a first run of a release I've wanted to see as I may visit the local cinema at best twice a year. Most movies I watch at around -13-17 depending on content. My primary listening is late nights with classical or jazz at around -35 to -29. so when the weekend comes its time for fun.

As a side note not all movies are recorded the same and some absolutely shine at reference and the current on the top of that list is "Oblivion" .
post #59 of 365 Old 08-18-13, 04:03 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Yep, it is good to see you on here, I have been reading some of your posts on AVForums, with some interest, cannot wait to see to some pic's of your set up matey
Speaking of pics and setups , nice job ! simply a thing of beauty.
post #60 of 365 Old 08-18-13, 04:27 AM
13T
Shackster
Ben

Another new shack member here, Quattro 12012 owner checking in from the UK nearly 15 months of ownership and loving every minute spent with them. Originally started with a duo setup but wasn't long before I'd added another 2. Eagerly awaiting more details on the new / next range of speakers…

BT