KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #81 of 365 Old 08-18-13, 10:04 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Check out our very detailed and comprehensive Audyssey FAQ and Setup Guide. We spent months creating it and it is rock solid.
Thank you Sonnie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 365 Old 08-19-13, 02:12 AM
Shackster

Quote:
recruit wrote: View Post
A single one here, hoping to make it a Duo at some point in the future and that will be my bass nirvana for me

Demo List

DVD-Audio & SACD's

Herbie Hancock - Gershwins World SACD 5.1
The Band - The Last Waltz DVD-Audio 5.1
Train my Private Nation - SACD 5.1
Steely Dan - Two Against Nature DVD-Audio 5.1
Steely Dan - Gaucho DVD-Audio 5.1
Jean Michelle Jarre Areo - DVD-Audio 5.1
Organ Spectular - DVD-Audio 5.1
Yes - Close to the Edge SACD 5.1
Spyro Gyra - Wrapped in a Dream SACD 5.1
Spyro Gyra - Original Cinema SACD 5.1
Steve Wilson - Grace for Drowning DVD-Audio 5.1
Yello - Touch DVD-Audio 5.1
Yello - Stella DVD-Audio 5.1
Horizon & Friends Late Night Chill out Lounge - SACD 5.1
Randy Newman Little Criminals - DVD-Audio 5.1

Blu Ray Demo

Dolby - The sound of High Definition II BD - Dolby True HD
Dolby - The sound of High Definition 3 BD - Dolby True HD
The Police - Live in Concert - the infamous disc that you all must have by now and one that I have been using when I had the MX5100SF and it sounds even better with the new DXD subs.

This is just a few of my music DVD-Audio's and SACD's which are a few of my favourite since getting the DXD808 but don't forget you can also listen to them in 2 channel as well
Thanks for the list mate, will try to check some of them out.
post #83 of 365 Old 08-19-13, 02:16 AM
Banned!

Re: KK DXD 808/12012 Owners Thread

No problem Andrew, one of my favorites recently has been Steve Wilson - Grace for Drowning DVD-Audio 5.1, it sounds especially good and the bass has so much energy to it, very good one indeed

post #84 of 365 Old 08-20-13, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Sigh taking a while to find the funds for a second 808! I think i am settled on a second 808 rather than the upgrade to a 12012, just taking a while to get there! Decided to veto the upgrade for my Onkyo 818 to a emotiva umc200+XPA5 in favor of upgrading the subs.
post #85 of 365 Old 08-20-13, 06:26 AM
Banned!

Quote:
Darkmatter wrote: View Post
Sigh taking a while to find the funds for a second 808! I think i am settled on a second 808 rather than the upgrade to a 12012, just taking a while to get there! Decided to veto the upgrade for my Onkyo 818 to a emotiva umc200+XPA5 in favor of upgrading the subs.
Yes, the upgrade of the sub I think will reap you the most satisfaction tbh, I am the same just need to count those pennies again Lol!
post #86 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 12:53 AM
Banned!

So any more pictures of KK subs in there set ups guys?
post #87 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I do, but do i have to host it on an external site as it used for a url when i tried to attach it on here? Also what do you think are the benefits of the side driver facing a surface? I know it was designed that way, but why? Does it use the wall as a diafram to bounce the sound off?
post #88 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 02:18 AM
Banned!

Quote:
Darkmatter wrote: View Post
I do, but do i have to host it on an external site as it used for a url when i tried to attach it on here? Also what do you think are the benefits of the side driver facing a surface? I know it was designed that way, but why? Does it use the wall as a diafram to bounce the sound off?
You do not need to host the pictures on another site, if you scroll down you will see a button that says "Upload and Manage Files and Images" just click on that and upload your picture, it will then be attached to your post.

I think Ken has already made it pretty clear what it does when placing the sub close to the wall, it couples the subwoofer to the room better.
post #89 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 02:48 AM
Shackster

Quote:
So any more pictures of KK subs in there set ups guys?
Yes, get em posted up here chaps! Don't upload them using tinypic via an ipad though or you'll get upside down pictures like I did!
post #90 of 365 Old 08-21-13, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
I think Ken has already made it pretty clear what it does when placing the sub close to the wall, it couples the subwoofer to the room better.

"The side of the DXD cabinet with the side driver is designed to be optimally placed 2-4" from the wall, preferably in a good solid corner of the room. For most rooms, I usually recommend first locating the DXD in the closest solid corner to your primary listening position. So, if the closest solid corner (no nearby openings like an open door) is in the back of the room, try it there first. "

It just states the site driver is designed to be placed 2-4" from a wall, i find this interesting as the majority of the articles i've ever read on subwoofer placement state that bass frequencies are omni directional, so if i had a forward firing sub and rotated it. It would still sound the same, its why downwarrd firing or forward firing also makes little difference. So with that i fully understand why the sub should be place in a "good solid corner" to improve its coupling with the room, but what difference will it make rotating it 90 degrees? So the driver is firing ino the room instead of into a wall.