Stand Alone Subwoofer vs In Wall Subwoofer - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 19 Old 09-25-13, 10:21 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System
Re: Stand Alone Subwoofer vs In Wall Subwoofer

Quote:
tripplej wrote: View Post
Just a general question while researching subwoofers.

I noticed that in addition to stand alone subwoofers, some manufacturers are selling in wall subwoofers.

Is there a quality difference between in wall and stand alone? I am assuming, stand alone is best? Any thoughts?
Of course, the biggest compromise by far would be the inability to move the sub around to help prevent peaks and nulls.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 09-26-13, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
Of course, the biggest compromise by far would be the inability to move the sub around to help prevent peaks and nulls.
yes, I figure that since in wall is fixed whereas the stand alone can be moved anytime. Of course, the WAF is the one area that the in walls have in favor of. lol.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-26-13, 07:58 AM
Senior Shackster

I don't think I would ever consider one as you have one placement option and that is it. Also upgrading would be difficult!

Wives would probably love them though!

post #14 of 19 Old 09-26-13, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
raynist wrote: View Post
Wives would probably love them though!
And this is the critical area that we always hit. We want to upgrade but the wife wants to keep the house looking clean and presentable (no wires, no big black boxes in the middle of no where). lol

compromise is there but then quality goes with in-wall units. It is a give and take of course.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-04-15, 07:57 PM
Senior Shackster
Mark Anderson

I know this an old thread, but thought i'd chime in. I have a polk audio CSW155 (in wall) and in-ceiling RC80i's. The sound is great. Now I wouldn't want something like this in my HomeTheater (unless I was VERY tight on space), but given that my motto is a "subwoofer in every room" and there's usually nowhere in a kitchen to put a sub, it's a great solution. I have many friends are not that into audio (but have a "HT system") and most of them are blown away and say it sounds better than their home theater. As much as I love audio, I don't want a big box in the kitchen, dining room, etc. unless i can be hidden (and provding the alternative isn't dreadful)
post #16 of 19 Old 05-09-15, 03:39 PM
Shackster

Quote:
mark_anderson_us wrote: View Post
I know this an old thread, but thought i'd chime in. I have a polk audio CSW155 (in wall) and in-ceiling RC80i's. The sound is great. Now I wouldn't want something like this in my HomeTheater (unless I was VERY tight on space), but given that my motto is a "subwoofer in every room" and there's usually nowhere in a kitchen to put a sub, it's a great solution. I have many friends are not that into audio (but have a "HT system") and most of them are blown away and say it sounds better than their home theater. As much as I love audio, I don't want a big box in the kitchen, dining room, etc. unless i can be hidden (and provding the alternative isn't dreadful)
I like Your Motto...

We use a combination of both inwall and free standing subs and get a lot of positive feedback.

We can play loud or soft and the sound is always great.
post #17 of 19 Old 05-09-15, 04:29 PM
Senior Shackster
Mark Anderson

Quote:
Hookedonc4 wrote: View Post
I like Your Motto...

We use a combination of both inwall and free standing subs and get a lot of positive feedback.

We can play loud or soft and the sound is always great.

What brand of in-walls do you use? I'm moving house soon and it would be easier to use in-floor/in-wall in the new place that I've put an offer one. Looking at the Artison RCC 320 at moment (thinking of a pair of them in a 24 x 12 foot space)
post #18 of 19 Old 05-09-15, 05:06 PM
Shackster

Quote:
mark_anderson_us wrote: View Post
What brand of in-walls do you use? I'm moving house soon and it would be easier to use in-floor/in-wall in the new place that I've put an offer one. Looking at the Artison RCC 320 at moment (thinking of a pair of them in a 24 x 12 foot space)
We use James Loudspeakers inwall speakers and Subs.

I listed them in your other post.
post #19 of 19 Old 07-16-15, 01:15 PM
Senior Shackster
Kyle

Quote:
informel wrote: View Post
Unless you install IB (infinite baffle) sub, IB can be seen as an "in-wall" or "in-celeing" subwoofer and no compromise has to be made (appart from shaking the whole house)
How do these IB subs compare to traditional ones?