Stand Alone Subwoofer vs In Wall Subwoofer - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 19 Old 09-25-13, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Stand Alone Subwoofer vs In Wall Subwoofer

Just a general question while researching subwoofers.

I noticed that in addition to stand alone subwoofers, some manufacturers are selling in wall subwoofers.

Is there a quality difference between in wall and stand alone? I am assuming, stand alone is best? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-25-13, 10:34 AM
fmw
Senior Shackster

Re: Stand Alone Subwoofer vs In Wall Subwoofer

Yes, stand alone is generally better. The in-wall models compromise some performance in order to cater to aesthetics.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-25-13, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
fmw wrote: View Post
Yes, stand alone is generally better. The in-wall models compromise some performance in order to cater to aesthetics.
Thanks for the details. I was thinking that in wall would have some "sacrifice" to help ensure it performs aesthetically. Perhaps for someone who wants a low powered sub, the in-wall is a good compromise if they want an in-wall system?

post #4 of 19 Old 09-25-13, 10:58 AM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

I think the compromise (unless your spending ALOT to adjust the sub to the available wall cavity) is to great. Imho in-walls are aesthetics and WAF problem solvers most of the time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_acceptance_factor
post #5 of 19 Old 09-25-13, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

lol. That is so true about the wife acceptance factor. You want some equipment but it doesn't look pleasing (big black box) sitting somewhere on the floor so the wife says yes, you can upgrade but I don't want to see it! So, in wall is an option but then the quality of the unit is compromised. Kind of defeats the purpose to improve you unit! lol. But as they say, a happy wife is a happy home!
post #6 of 19 Old 09-25-13, 11:27 AM
Senior Shackster
informel

My System

Unless you install IB (infinite baffle) sub, IB can be seen as an "in-wall" or "in-celeing" subwoofer and no compromise has to be made (appart from shaking the whole house)
post #7 of 19 Old 09-25-13, 12:05 PM
Shackster

Personally unless you absolutely have to I would stay away from inwall, dollar for dollar an inwall would get blown into next year if you were to spend the same amount of money on an in room sub.

Secondly you're pretty much stuck with that sub long term, have fun upgrading unless you feel like ripping your wall open to get it out.

A good buddy of mine has two Velodyne SC-IW in-wall subs and amps and it wasn't a cheap setup, I have dual PSA XS30's. One of my XS30's will destroy his dual in-walls.
post #8 of 19 Old 09-25-13, 12:12 PM
fmw
Senior Shackster

Sometimes wives can surprise you. I recently finished a DIY sealed sub and I invited my wife to come along with me and help choose some nice veneer to make the thing look more like a piece of furniture. She said that's silly. Just paint it black and put it in the corner. That's what I did. WAF with less work and cost.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-25-13, 12:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

To help with WAF and not need to go with In Wall I find this tactic to work.

1. find 3 subs with a real wood finish that will fit your room requirements. AND they have a wireless option (this is a must as running wires visiably down the side of the room with set of WAF DEFCON 5 alarms)
2. explain to the wife that you are "compromising" (make sure you use that work) and have found some "Furniture" grade subs that can be used as an end table...etc
3. Have HER choose 1 of the three. i.e. SHE made the final decision (at least in her own mind). You don't care, you liked all three.

This also works for building a house I built mine using this princple and had Zero arguments.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-25-13, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
To help with WAF and not need to go with In Wall I find this tactic to work.

1. find 3 subs with a real wood finish that will fit your room requirements. AND they have a wireless option (this is a must as running wires visiably down the side of the room with set of WAF DEFCON 5 alarms)
2. explain to the wife that you are "compromising" (make sure you use that work) and have found some "Furniture" grade subs that can be used as an end table...etc
3. Have HER choose 1 of the three. i.e. SHE made the final decision (at least in her own mind). You don't care, you liked all three.

This also works for building a house I built mine using this princple and had Zero arguments.
lol. This is the best thing I have read in regards to WAF. (good thing she doesn't look in this forum otherwise I would be dead!)..

Yes, I think your suggestions will help and ensure I don't get an in wall sub. Thanks to you and everybody who answered my questions. Much appreciated. Now, have to put the above into play. Wish me well.