Dayton Audio SUB-1200 Subwoofer Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 69 Old 12-19-13, 03:23 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: Dayton Audio SUB-1200 Subwoofer Discussion Thread

Great review, Jim. Thanks for all the in-depth information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 69 Old 12-20-13, 11:37 AM
Shackster

I own 2 of these as well and have them stacked, and i love them for what they cost. i mainly use them just for movies, most of the time i listen to music with just the mains.

I've had a $1500 sub from Paradigm, tho these arent as good overall i have no complaints.

I have a wall that when the sub its that walls resonance frequency it louder than the sub, very irritating...been meaning do something to fix that... i live in a double wide so the drywall is like 1/4 in thick, and the place itself probably is not that good for sound period...
post #13 of 69 Old 12-20-13, 12:00 PM
Senior Shackster

Ray

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to cavchameleon

Jim,

Thanks again for a great review! One of my first subs was a kit from Dayton Audio (Parts Express). It was more expensive then this one and couldn't hit as low (only had a 10" Titanic driver). That was a long time ago and one of my brothers is actually using it in one of his rooms now, still working great! I think it's amazing they can come out with a very decent sub for cheaper than you can actually build one. Kudos to them!!!

Ray

Happy Listening!!! Listen with an open mind and heart!!!

post #14 of 69 Old 12-20-13, 12:01 PM
Shackster

One more thing the plastic feet on these leaves a lot to be desired...

what I did is order some rubber ones from parts express. now on my hard floor they are coupled better and dont slide around and the rubber feet are only a couple bucks.

PS-- my 2 also have a ding on the corner just like the review sample... if i read it right... just read it again and says on the foot so not the same but i found it odd that my 2 had the same ding on the right top corner.

Last edited by mark62; 12-20-13 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added content
post #15 of 69 Old 12-21-13, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
mark62 wrote: View Post
OPS-- my 2 also have a ding on the corner just like the review sample... if i read it right... just read it again and says on the foot so not the same but i found it odd that my 2 had the same ding on the right top corner.
The mark on the review unit is actually a slight indentation in the cabinet itself, not the foot. It's on the side, at the intersection of the bottom and side panels. It's near the front foot.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #16 of 69 Old 12-22-13, 09:31 AM
Shackster

Thanks for the review. I love PE for my enabling DIY fetish, but hadnt seriously considered these subs due to the Price point (and the price concerns you mentioned), so I was pleasantly surprised! Im always looking to get my adult kids & step kids into better quality audio(the MP3 Generation), and this sub will give me one more option to get them the gift of good sound w/o breaking the bank!

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #17 of 69 Old 12-27-13, 04:03 PM
Senior Shackster

Tony

I've been out of the HT phase of my life for a couple of years and I'm looking to go with a budget powered sub to get back into it. I was considering the PL-200 or the F-12 from Bic until I stumbled upon this jewel (sub-1200) and his review. My intentions were going to be to go with a single powered sub, but at this price point, I'm considering going with (2) of these, a PL-200, or an F12. My living room is just under 3000 cuft and the listening position is against a wall 8ft from the TV. I have open doorways on each side of my listening position being 4ft and 3 ft wide. There is about 2ft of space between each end of the couch and the open doorways. I want this for good acceptable hometheater sound but I REALLY love my music. What would the members here suggest?

-Samsung 46" 120 hz LCD LN46c650
-XBOX One
-Onkyo TX-NR509
-BIC America Venturi DV84 (Mains)
-BIC America DV-62CLRS Center
-Insignia NS-B2111 (surrounds) to be replaced soon
post #18 of 69 Old 12-27-13, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

In the context of a subwoofer the words 'budget' and 'musical' are generally considered antonyms, so while I do believe the SUB-1200 did better than its prices suggests it's still not musical in the purest sense. Having said that... it might surprise you with what it can do.

The BIC subwoofers are often considered to be good values, but mostly from people using them for HT applications. I'm not certain too many of those folks would call them musical though, so the Dayton may be the better alternative given your circumstances.

I would suggest you'll need a pair of subs to adequately fill 3000 ft^3, so whatever you ultimately decide to buy you should strongly consider getting two of them.

-Jim

post #19 of 69 Old 12-27-13, 05:08 PM
Senior Shackster

Tony

Thanks for the reply. I'm almost certain I'm going to go with (2) Dayton Sub-1200's. It has got to be better than my Samsung flat screen's speakers while my Onkyo receiver gets worked on. Once I get the receiver back, I should have both the Daytons set up and ready to go. I've listened to a couple of soundbar/ sub combos recently in much bigger rooms, and if the Dayton's sound as good or better I will be ecstatic. I've been without my 5.1 for six months now and have been relying on my flat screen speakers for my listening pleasure, lol. I think I will be happy with this. Btw, once my receiver gets back from repair, I will have my Bic DV DV84 fronts, and DV-62CLRS center channel operating. While what I have is nothing extravagant, I'm excited to get back in this.

-Samsung 46" 120 hz LCD LN46c650
-XBOX One
-Onkyo TX-NR509
-BIC America Venturi DV84 (Mains)
-BIC America DV-62CLRS Center
-Insignia NS-B2111 (surrounds) to be replaced soon
post #20 of 69 Old 12-27-13, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

If you do ultimately get the SUB-1200's be sure to come back and post your impressions. It's always valuable to others when actual owners provide their insight.

-Jim