Dayton Audio SUB-1200 Subwoofer Discussion Thread - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #31 of 69 Old 01-16-14, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: Dayton Audio SUB-1200 Subwoofer Discussion Thread

Quote:
mark62 wrote: View Post
looks like it has a relatively flat response to me from 100 to 25hz give or take.

i must not know how to read graphs or hear multiple notes from one....

it is not the greatest sub but does pretty good set up properly.
Nope, you can read a graph; there's nothing about the measurements that suggest the SUB-1200 is a one note wonder. AAMOF, the spectrographs tell a surprisingly good story, with virtually no stored energy detected. Quite often that's a good indicator of a musical subwoofer because that type of response generally translates into sounds which start and stop 'quickly'.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 Old 01-16-14, 10:54 PM
Senior Shackster
Joe

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Nope, you can read a graph; there's nothing about the measurements that suggest the SUB-1200 is a one note wonder. AAMOF, the spectrographs tell a surprisingly good story, with virtually no stored energy detected. Quite often that's a good indicator of a musical subwoofer because that type of response generally translates into sounds which start and stop 'quickly'.
I think I am going to start purchasing these subs to use with our touch tunes jukeboxes. I have always used the inexpensive polk subs in the past(psw202,psw10, psw505) and they are ok, but if I can get better performance for the same or even less coin, then its a no brainer.
post #33 of 69 Old 01-17-14, 12:25 AM
Shackster

Quote:
i dont know how to interpret the spectrographs, could you or someone give me a little 101 on that?

post #34 of 69 Old 01-17-14, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Basshead81 wrote: View Post
I think I am going to start purchasing these subs to use with our touch tunes jukeboxes. I have always used the inexpensive polk subs in the past(psw202,psw10, psw505) and they are ok, but if I can get better performance for the same or even less coin, then its a no brainer.
Depending upon how big a space you have, and the volume to listen at, you might want to consider the SUB-1500 instead. That will have greater output and can play lower.

-Jim

post #35 of 69 Old 01-17-14, 03:04 PM
Senior Shackster
Joe

Quote:
Depending upon how big a space you have, and the volume to listen at, you might want to consider the SUB-1500 instead. That will have greater output and can play lower.
Were only dealing with music so depth should not be a issue. However I was eyeing the 15" but I think its a tad too big to sit under our wall mount juke boxes. We have the polk psw505, psw202, psw10, paradigm pdr10, and jbl es250....they all have done a fairly decent job. In a bar atmosphere accuracy is not a huge issue, just need some reliable thump to fill in the bottom end. We normally use bose 301 and polk rti bookshelfs mounted up high on the walls for main speakers.
post #36 of 69 Old 01-21-14, 08:56 AM
Senior Shackster

steve

Quote:
Bass In a bar atmosphere accuracy is not a huge issue, just need some reliable thump to fill in the bottom end.
Lol, this is true.
post #37 of 69 Old 01-21-14, 09:12 PM
Senior Shackster
Joe

Quote:
steve nn wrote: View Post
Lol, this is true.
Lol

Just recieved a sub 1200 today...I must say this thing is really good for the price...better then any budget sub I have herd to date. My only gripe is that the feet are not level but that can be fixed easily enough. I bet the sub 1500 is a real brute for 200.00. Dayton hit a home run on these budget performers!!
post #38 of 69 Old 01-21-14, 10:03 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Basshead81 wrote: View Post
Lol

Just recieved a sub 1200 today...I must say this thing is really good for the price...better then any budget sub I have herd to date. My only gripe is that the feet are not level but that can be fixed easily enough. I bet the sub 1500 is a real brute for 200.00. Dayton hit a home run on these budget performers!!
i bought rubber feet from parts express.
post #39 of 69 Old 01-22-14, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
mark62 wrote: View Post
i dont know how to interpret the spectrographs, could you or someone give me a little 101 on that?
Think of a spectrograph as a measurement that depicts how much "stored energy" there is in the output. The faster this energy dissipates the quicker your subwoofer has recovered and is ready to produce the next sound. It's relative to the time associated to starting and stopping the output, measured in ms (milliseconds). Lower numbers are better.

If you look at the graphs you'll see various colors; red indicates the most intense output, blue the least, yellow is in between. The left axis is the frequency that was measured, while the bottom is time in ms. There is a vertical line denoting 50ms, which I put in there. It's somewhat arbitrary on my part, but anything below 100ms for these frequencies is probably not audible for most people anyway (except for the quickest of transients perhaps). I went with 50ms because I'm a huge fan of subwoofers that have excellent transient response; basically, fast "recovery" times.

The best way to interpret the graph is to look at how much of the energy shows up to the right of the 50ms line. The width of those splashes, their color and intensity determine how much was stored for that particular frequency. The distance they travel to the right relates to how long that energy lasted.

The long thin splash on the driver graph is centered around 95Hz, virtually irrelevant for anyone who uses an 80Hz crossover, so you can almost ignore that one. The next frequency with anything notable beyond 50ms occurs around 57Hz, and it's wider with greater intensity than the previous one. However, its duration is shorter so the driver was completely 'ready' to produce the next signal sooner than what you see at 95Hz.

The biggest take-away from these graphs is what you don't see though; much of anything to the right of the 50ms line. For a budget subwoofer that's an extraordinary response, because there's almost nothing to speak of. Even when you look at the port itself -- which is often 'noisier' than the driver -- there's hardly anything. That means it's properly tuned and matched to the driver quite well. All in all, a very good showing for such an inexpensive subwoofer.

-Jim

post #40 of 69 Old 01-22-14, 08:51 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Think of a spectrograph as a measurement that depicts how much "stored energy" there is in the output. The faster this energy dissipates the quicker your subwoofer has recovered and is ready to produce the next sound. It's relative to the time associated to starting and stopping the output, measured in ms (milliseconds). Lower numbers are better.

If you look at the graphs you'll see various colors; red indicates the most intense output, blue the least, yellow is in between. The left axis is the frequency that was measured, while the bottom is time in ms. There is a vertical line denoting 50ms, which I put in there. It's somewhat arbitrary on my part, but anything below 100ms for these frequencies is probably not audible for most people anyway (except for the quickest of transients perhaps). I went with 50ms because I'm a huge fan of subwoofers that have excellent transient response; basically, fast "recovery" times.

The best way to interpret the graph is to look at how much of the energy shows up to the right of the 50ms line. The width of those splashes, their color and intensity determine how much was stored for that particular frequency. The distance they travel to the right relates to how long that energy lasted.

The long thin splash on the driver graph is centered around 95Hz, virtually irrelevant for anyone who uses an 80Hz crossover, so you can almost ignore that one. The next frequency with anything notable beyond 50ms occurs around 57Hz, and it's wider with greater intensity than the previous one. However, its duration is shorter so the driver was completely 'ready' to produce the next signal sooner than what you see at 95Hz.

The biggest take-away from these graphs is what you don't see though; much of anything to the right of the 50ms line. For a budget subwoofer that's an extraordinary response, because there's almost nothing to speak of. Even when you look at the port itself -- which is often 'noisier' than the driver -- there's hardly anything. That means it's properly tuned and matched to the driver quite well. All in all, a very good showing for such an inexpensive subwoofer.
Thanks a lot Jim for explaining that.