Help Understanding MartinLogan Depth i Controls - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 15 Old 02-09-14, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Paul

My System
Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I am thinking Audyssey on is going to be closer to what the studio would be like, since it is going to be flatter.
Quote:
I had the same experience as you. I kept turning Audyssey Off because I thought it sounded better...but only because there was a hump in the midbass. Turning Audyssey On took that out, so it sounded like I was missing something.
Quote:
What I later figured out is that if I could raise the entire low frequency range with a shelf filter, I had the bass I wanted and everything else also flattened out like it should be... with a gradual roll off at the top.
You were right. I had not sampled enough music when I posted my joy with Audyssey Off. One minute into Blues Travelers' Run-Around I realized the bongos were muffled. I switched on Audyssey XT32, then Audyssey Flat, which brought back the missing frequencies at the expense of Bass loss. Befuddled but not discouraged, I copied the Flat curve to ManualEQ and made adjustments to my preference. It will do for now. I'm configuring my laptop and USB mic for REW. My next post will be the measurements. -Paul

Waiting for Jerry Jones to fire himself.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 02-13-14, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Paul

My System
Re: Help Understanding MartinLogan Depth i Controls

I measured my subs and L/R speakers I use for music. This was my first time using REW. I pointed the mic up and measured each sub's SPL.

I took a before and after measurement of SW1. I adjusted the volume level as well as the 25Hz knob from 0 to -10dB (range is -10/+10dB). The SW1 adjustment showed the 25Hz knob does not really affect that frequency. I set the volume at 4 and Phase at 0 deg as always.

SW2 is where it got interesting. This sub is all over the place. The following graph has the original SW2 measurement. Moving the sub around to various locations did not change the response. I did my best to calm down SW2, but it refused. SW2 is louder than SW1 so I set Volume at 3 and Phase to 0 deg.

Once I measured the subs together, the problems I am having started to make sense. The 25Hz setting and volume was not the problem - PHASE was the problem. I measured every Phase combination available: 0/90/180/270 and it turned out SW1 at 270 worked best with SW2 at zero. Here is the result. *note the red and blue lines are mislabeled.The the Phase both subs were located at 1/3 the wall on either side.

There was nothing I could do to remove the 20Hz hump. The only way to fix 30Hz dip was volume leveling which affected 43Hz. The 50Hz dip explains the lack of kick drum in the music, but 60Hz is tough. I had to be careful in raising SW2 volume to make up for the 80Hz dive caused by SW1. Based on my initial sub measurements, I can only surmise that Audyssey XT32 helped level the SW volume, but apparently it cannot determine Phase problems with multiple subs. I suppose a bass equalizer/filter is in my future.

I measured my ML Source L/R speakers with and without the subs to see how things would shape up. The graph is an A/B comparison of 2.0 vs 2.2 FR. This graph was before I ran Audyssey XT32. The hour was getting late, so I could not do another REW sweep to get an after measurement.

However, I was able to listen to the same music mentioned in previous posts. The kick drum was audible and balanced with the music. The floor toms did not overpower the music. The clarity and imaging of the guitar riff trading between Joe Walsh and Don Felder in Life in the Fast Lane was...astounding - I don't know how else to say it.

Overall, lead singers were center stage while backing vocals were spacious/broad. The bass guitar sounded like it was played: smooth, plucked, picked, or slapped. Another surprise came from a live album. Whistles, hoots, and callouts were not only audible, but locatable. That has never been the case. I cannot explain why each track had depth and realism. It does not make sense that a 2 dimensional recording can produce an all encompassing result.

Even though music sounds better than ever, this is still an 85% Home Theater. I have yet to audition my reference movies. Maybe someone can point out additional things I can try or offer better measurement methods. I did my best to follow the help instructions, but I struggled with sound card and SPL calibration, sweep volume, and mic placement/configuration. It doesn't matter. I will keep at it until I master it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-24-14, 09:28 AM
Banned!

My System

Quote:
bigdogaxis wrote: View Post
4) I did buy a UMM-6 USB mic from Amazon, not knowing I should have bought from Cross-Spectrum. I have yet to use REW, fearing incorrect measurements. It's too late to return the mic to Amazon, do I have an option other than calling it a futuristic Harry Potter wand?
My recommendation, get a copy of REW up and running so you can see how the room acoustics are interacting with the output of the subs.

post #14 of 15 Old 02-24-14, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Paul

My System

See post 12 for REW plots.

post #15 of 15 Old 02-24-14, 01:10 PM
Banned!

My System

Maybe somebody will do you guys a favor and buy out Jason's contract. Don't know who, but stranger things have happened....

Do you have both subs on the same side of the room or on opposite sides of the room. One on the LRC side and one behind the MLP?

Not trying to me mean. That 20Hz to 60Hz suckout, will kill your kick drum.

With XT32 and the Depth i's I would be expecting much better graphing and from my position, you can do it.

Last edited by BeeMan458; 02-24-14 at 01:19 PM.