Single Rythmik F12 vs Two SVS SB-1000 - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 20 Old 02-26-14, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Chucka

My System
Re: Single Rythmik F12 vs Two SVS SB-1000

Quote:
TheLaw612 wrote: View Post
Going to throw something out here...

I don't know how comfortable you are with DIY or AIY (assemble it yourself) but you could get the Dual Driver CI Kit with the 800w servo amp and two drivers shown at the bottom of this page.

Then grab two of these from DIY Sound Group and build a separate small box for the amp and you've got a dual Rythmik setup for a little over $1K.

Just a thought...
While being a great idea, not having any of the tools needed to take on such a project would cause the overall cost to be higher than buying completed units. Plus one has to have the time to take on such a project which I have very little of. Manufactured units are my only reasonable option for any of my system design projects. But thanks for the idea :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 03-12-14, 11:56 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

This got me thinking about my "future" setup as I'm looking at getting 2 Rythmik F12G's but 4 SB1000's would fit the budget nicely. My setup as 2 channel only with 1 listening position. I do not care about SPL as I will run my system flat and my mains will run full range so they will run out of steam well before the subs. I do care about extension as I want 16hz for organ stuff. My room is 13' x 16' x 10' to 12' high sealed.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-12-14, 12:18 PM
Banned!

My System

Quote:
Blacklightning wrote: View Post
This got me thinking about my "future" setup as I'm looking at getting 2 Rythmik F12G's but 4 SB1000's would fit the budget nicely. My setup as 2 channel only with 1 listening position. I do not care about SPL as I will run my system flat and my mains will run full range so they will run out of steam well before the subs. I do care about extension as I want 16hz for organ stuff. My room is 13' x 16' x 10' to 12' high sealed.
In my opinion, buying more subwoofers is not a good idea. Yes, the ideal placement is four subwoofers but that's without room correction software.

Do you have room correction software?

The benefit of the Rythmik line is three fold, first the "Direct Servo Technology" which gives immediate feedback to the subwoofer; better for music. The second, the amplifier has PEQ so you can pick a troubling area and the subwoofer can help correct. Lastly, the Rythmik F12G digs deeper and will do a better job of reproducing those low organ notes.

post #14 of 20 Old 03-12-14, 12:47 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
BeeMan458 wrote: View Post
In my opinion, buying more subwoofers is not a good idea. Yes, the ideal placement is four subwoofers but that's without room correction software.

Do you have room correction software?

The benefit of the Rythmik line is three fold, first the "Direct Servo Technology" which gives immediate feedback to the subwoofer; better for music. The second, the amplifier has PEQ so you can pick a troubling area and the subwoofer can help correct. Lastly, the Rythmik F12G digs deeper and will do a better job of reproducing those low organ notes.
No room correction software for me, but I will be inviting a fellow board member over to run REW.

I want to run the subs in the front and in stereo. I believe my xover will be set between 40hz - 60 hz but this may be higher as I will now be running my speakers well out into the room.

Room will have treatment and is built just for playing music so I can do ANYTHING a want. I can hang the towers from the ceiling if I want... the wife will not step foot in the room.

I'm a big classical music fan and I hate the sound of 99% of the subwoofers I hear. My towers have very nice bass and the only subs I have heard and liked was a Paradigm Servo 15 version 1 (too much money at the time) and a Rel R328 (did not play deep).
post #15 of 20 Old 03-12-14, 01:43 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Frankly, if hitting 16Hz is one of your requirements then neither the F12G or the SB1000 is really going to satisfy your needs. You would be better served with the E15HP or SB13U. Either of those would be more likely to achieve your goals.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #16 of 20 Old 03-12-14, 02:10 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Two... in my small sealed room???

Last edited by Blacklightning; 03-12-14 at 02:32 PM.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-12-14, 08:08 PM
Banned!

My System

Quote:
Two... in my small sealed room???
Forgive me as I'm not sure of what you're trying to share. I see the first graph is an open plane graph by Ilkka Rissanen.

If you don't know already, expectedly, a second subwoofer will reinforce (raise) the left side of the graph.

(and I'm pretty much clueless how to read your second graph regarding harmonic distortion)

Last edited by BeeMan458; 03-12-14 at 08:22 PM.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-13-14, 11:22 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Specifications
Driver 12" high excursion with custom sensing coil
Driver materials Treated paper with foam surround
Cast aluminum basket
Amplifier 370w RMS class A/B patented servo controlled
Dimensions 15-3/4"(W) x 15-3/4" (H )x 17"(D) - (18-1/2" D with grille)
Shipping Weight 75 lbs
Frequency Response 14 - 100 Hz (-2 dB @ 14 Hz)
Crossover slope Selectable 12 or 24 dB / octave (PEQ and XLR versions)
Crossover range (Low pass) 25 - 120 Hz
Rumble Filter (High pass ) 20Hz 18 dB / octave
Phase response 90 degrees phase shift at 20 Hz
Phase adjustment 0 - 180 degrees continuously variable
Bass damping factor settings high (Q=0.5), med (Q=0.7), and low (Q=1.1)
I can't really explain the above charts as they are not mine but I was under the impression that the Rythmik sealed subs can all play to 14Hz at least at 85db, the only different is the max volume. So two small subs in my small 2000 cube sealed room should play 32-16hz organ notes at the same volume that my mains can play 64-32hz notes...

At least I hope.

The SB1000 is not designed to have 16hz performance so I think that is not an option for me.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-13-14, 12:41 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
I can't really explain the above charts as they are not mine but I was under the impression that the Rythmik sealed subs can all play to 14Hz at least at 85db, the only different is the max volume. So two small subs in my small 2000 cube sealed room should play 32-16hz organ notes at the same volume that my mains can play 64-32hz notes...

At least I hope.

The SB1000 is not designed to have 16hz performance so I think that is not an option for me.
Without knowing how far away the mic was when those readings were taken it's not really possible to derive a great deal from the charts. If it was CEA 2010 distance - 2 meters - those output numbers wouldn't be bad for a single 12" driver in a sealed enclosure. However, if those are 'close mic', which is usually within and inch or two of the driver cone, they aren't very strong.

Usable output in the mid-teens requires a lot of smaller drivers or a few large ones. There's simply no way around the physics of an acoustic suspension alignment, which is what prompted my suggestion of subwoofers with larger drivers. You won't necessarily need a pair of SB13's or E15's to get decent output down that low, but spare headroom would be at a premium with a single unit so you might find yourself in the position of having to raise the gain to a point were the output could begin to have some audible distortion artifacts. For HT that might not be so bad -- because people like to hear things go boom -- but for music it's a very bad thing.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #20 of 20 Old 03-13-14, 12:59 PM
Banned!

My System

From what I read, they're measured at 4m and the readings are adjusted to 2m.