Single Rythmik F12 vs Two SVS SB-1000 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 02-26-14, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Chucka

My System
Single Rythmik F12 vs Two SVS SB-1000

I am considering either a single Rythmik F12 or two SVS SB01000 subs for a small 5.1 Condo system with 5 KEF LS-50 loudspeakers. The cost of either sub option is approx $1,000. I am more interestred in the musical quality possible at this cost rather than low end extension or high output (which is why I am now leaning towards sealed designs). Any opinion on either of these two options would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-26-14, 12:30 PM
Banned!

My System
Re: Single Rythmik F12 vs Two SVS SB-1000

The two subs will give you better smoothing of room modes which will show itself in overall better sound quality. A small condo system will benefit greatly via two SB-1000s vs a single F12.

Disclosure: owner of two Rythmik subs.

Last edited by BeeMan458; 02-26-14 at 12:38 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-26-14, 01:27 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Yes, I agree. A pair of sb-1000s would be great for what your after (though I personally don't believe they need to be sealed to be musical) The pair will definitely help tame the peaks and valleys, and offer a nice smooth presentation. Plus, you will gain a few Db's, while improving headroom. ...ya never know when you'll want to stretch their legs out!

post #4 of 20 Old 02-26-14, 01:53 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Chucka wrote: View Post
I am more interestred in the musical quality possible at this cost rather than low end extension or high output
If this is the case then the Rythmik will probably give you better quality bass because of the servo design. How much better is subjective. However, the dual sb1000's will have better headroom and a smoother response than a single sub.

You can always order the sb1000's and audition them for free. Return shipping on the Rythmik is probably around $100.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-26-14, 02:01 PM
Banned!

My System

Quote:
TheLaw612 wrote: View Post
If this is the case then the Rythmik will probably give you better quality bass because of the servo design. How much better is subjective. However, the dual sb1000's will have better headroom and a smoother response than a single sub.
I hate these kinds of dilemmas. The short version, in the end, it's all about the Benjamins and how many of them one has to throw at this type of conundrum.

The difference between a one sub system vs a two subwoofer system is very noticeable but yes, based on anecdotal evidence, the "Direct Servo Technology" gives better musical qualities but without the second subwoofer, the individual loses out on the benefit of room smoothing. It's like a bad version of Abbott and Costello's "Who's On First."

Money or quality. Quality or money. What to do?......first base!
post #6 of 20 Old 02-26-14, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Chucka

My System

Quote:
BeeMan458 wrote: View Post
I hate these kinds of dilemmas. The short version, in the end, it's all about the Benjamins and how many of them one has to throw at this type of conundrum.

The difference between a one sub system vs a two subwoofer system is very noticeable but yes, based on anecdotal evidence, the "Direct Servo Technology" gives better musical qualities but without the second subwoofer, the individual loses out on the benefit of room smoothing. It's like a bad version of Abbott and Costello's "Who's On First."

Money or quality. Quality or money. What to do?......first base!
This is much of what I am feeling. Because of this economy I do not have to make a final decision yet (and it may determine the solution) and in the meantime I hope to find a little more money to put into this system. So I am also looking at a view of diminishing return. I have always worked with dual subs and have experienced thier benefit. Of what I am reading in most reviews, the Rythmik F12's are excellent for music and I know the benefit of dual subs. So yes, it is a "Who's On First" decision that may have its only solution by throwing more money at the problem.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-26-14, 02:32 PM
Banned!

My System

Quote:
Chucka wrote: View Post
So yes, it is a "Who's On First" decision that may have its only solution by throwing more money at the problem.
Maybe a compromise....a pair of Rythmik LV12Rs? Then there's the old creep up on it routine, buy one now, add one later?

Bear123, do you have a LV12R you can comment on?
post #8 of 20 Old 02-26-14, 03:28 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

If you opt to go the duals route then the SB1000's would work quite well. SVS also has the SB2000, which would be more the direct competitor to the F12, so if you opt for a single you should probably look into that model as well. As you've already found though, it's hard to beat a Rythmik for precision and accuracy.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #9 of 20 Old 02-26-14, 04:32 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Going to throw something out here...

I don't know how comfortable you are with DIY or AIY (assemble it yourself) but you could get the Dual Driver CI Kit with the 800w servo amp and two drivers shown at the bottom of this page.

Then grab two of these from DIY Sound Group and build a separate small box for the amp and you've got a dual Rythmik setup for a little over $1K.

Just a thought...
post #10 of 20 Old 02-26-14, 05:27 PM
Senior Shackster

Alex

Or commenting on the DIY route, I believe the SI (stereo integrity) 15" are still available. They go for around 200 with shipping.. 2 of those, some supplies for boxes and a Ep 2500 or inuke 3000 would work well and stay around your budget.