Slaughter House Cinemas (Project Thread) - Page 35 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #341 of 345 Old 06-04-11, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Re: Slaughter House Cinemas (Project Thread)

Well to begin with the first firmware they sent down (they send these down across the iPone/iPod/iPad App) bricked the device and I had to order a replacement, they sent another out and didn't ask for the other one back. Since I was using it in my rack I had to mod it to begin with to add some external emitters, so that in itself was a pain the second time around.

Programing it is also a nuisance as you do all the configuration from the IOS device, at this time you can't program it from the web interface.

If you have a Apple Airport/Express/Extreme then getting it to connect to your wireless LAN is problematic as well but possible. You have to assign a reserved IP for the MAC address of the device in the Airport before it will connect, not a deal breaker but unless you figure it out on your own or closely read their documentation then you will be frustrated real fast.

Their device database is not real intuitive. You may find the manufacturer of the device relatively easily and perhaps the device itself (make and model) but then they present you with a list of code groups that are given numerical designations that you just have to "try" each set until you find one that works. BUT WAIT, you may find a code set that works but perhaps is not complete as many manufacturers use similar codes for different devices so again frustration.

Once you have it programed though it seems to work well, you need to be connected to either your local wireless LAN or the devices (RedEye) network to communicate with it, and if you are on the edge of your own WiFi like I was I had to buy an additional Airport Express and connect it in the Theater Room so I would have a good signal.

Once you have it program I recommend that you backup the device using the built in WEB access tool, if you don;t and you brick the device with an update (of I found out that if the device looses power a number of consecutive time lets say to a brown out our unplugging and plugging in too quickly) then you have to go through the entire process again!

This was the point I decided to go back to using my Harmony 890+ All the programing is kept on Logitech's server across the web, so it is always there! I had my existing equipment and NEW equipment programed back to current on the 890+ is minuets and I was flying again.

OH one last thing, I have an XTreamer Pro, and although the RedEye had codes for it, doubled almost every time, when I programed the Harmony I had the same issue BUT the Harmony software has a trouble shooting section and asked you the issue then provided a "sensitivity" setting that eliminated this issue on the device.

Since the Harmony had a wireless "extender" (not Wifi) and it had outputs for external IR emitters (and includes them), although a but more pricey it works much better, and with physical buttons it just makes better sense to use it than the IOS device. And keep in mind I am a dedicated Apple user and I love my IOS devices and if they could fix may of these functionality and reliability/compatibility issues I would not hesitate to use it again. As it is it sits in the equipment rack disconnected and powered down.

Sorry ThinkFlood.

Hope this helps Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #342 of 345 Old 06-04-11, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Bryan, what happend to the "edit" feature on the topics, I was going to update my thread and can't seem to locate the edit open
post #343 of 345 Old 06-04-11, 11:39 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Not sure Carl. I can see the edit buttons. I know there is a time limit but you've certainly not gone past it.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions

post #344 of 345 Old 12-07-17, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Greetings, sorry to resurrect this OLD thread. I am alive and well, still enjoying my theater. Not much has changed. Just beginning the planning stages of an upgrade.

New screen, new projector new sound system. The room itself still serves the purpose, just want to upgrade the important stuff. We still have new years eve movie night and all 10 seats are usually filled ;-)

Hope to see more of all of you soon. I may with the forum moderators blessing I will start a new thread, Slaughter House Cinemas Take II soon ;-)

Carl
post #345 of 345 Old 12-07-17, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Link to the original build video: