Slaughter House Cinemas (Project Thread) - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 345 Old 07-19-08, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Re: New basement HT Posting progress photos

Quote:
salvasol wrote: View Post
Just be prepared because after you finish the room ... you'll keep upgrading/changing everything again ... this is a non-stop hobby
My wife is going to kill me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 345 Old 07-19-08, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Well the pipe is moved, but I forgot you have to have some room to get the fittings on so I was able to finagle 1/2" less than what I hoped for, the wall will now be 6 1/2" from the concrete wall, so I am only 1/2" off from what I wanted ;-)

I have to get rid of the old electrical boxes on the south wall now so the contractor can start framing on Monday.

I hope to set up the projector tonight and see where I stand in regard to a mount point. And just to see how it it works ;-)
post #43 of 345 Old 07-20-08, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I took some more photos last night of the room and equipment, HERE (page 4) is where O moved the drain pipe, so I am bout 3/4" from the wall now so the contractor can build the wall in front of it about 6 1/2" finished out. This will allow me to be withing the sweat spot for the projector at about 15'6" and to clear the I-Beam and duct work (in between).

I also took some photos of the "gear" and the Panasonic 200U Projector. HERE Also I was able to take a few shots of the images produced by the 200U, I placed a all white Studio backdrop made of some sort of flat opaque material, not ideal for projector screen use, with that said I think the picture looked great! Then I realized I was watching 480p resolution! Then I turned it to 1080i output (From a DishTV HD Receiver) and I was blown away! I have a Samsung 1080p 50,000:1 52" TV in the living room, and I have to say Even on this imperfect screen I had made I was very impressed, no pixilation, crystal clear even at about 3 foot away! I can't wait to get the screen and see what it looks like then.

I think everything is read for the contractor to come in Monday and start framing. I will have some more photos tomorrow!

post #44 of 345 Old 07-20-08, 02:31 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Congratulations ...

Those pictures look nice ... by the way: What size was the picture??? ... same size that you're planning on using??? ... I think that you can play with your equipment to find the best size
post #45 of 345 Old 07-20-08, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Congratulations ...

Those pictures look nice ... by the way: What size was the picture??? ... same size that you're planning on using??? ... I think that you can play with your equipment to find the best size
140" bigger than my screen so I didn't watch it long so I didn't get spoiled

I think I am going to be alright with my projector position based on what I saw, As I have a good amount of zoom (both directions) from that position. I am somewhat Limited with my seating option using couches but it is all I have right now

I will keep the pictures coming!
post #46 of 345 Old 07-21-08, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Did you already purchased the Polk 6750??? ... they're okay to start, but if you can get something with a better frequency response it will be better (speakers go from 135Hz to 24KHz, you need at least 60Hz-20Khz for the front so you don't have to upgrade to soon )

I did the same (I got Infinity TSS750 120Hz-20Khz) and in less than a year I started changing speakers ... specially the front L +R + C
I am not sure they will let me return the Polk's because it has been about 3+ weeks but maybe, what do you recommend. or anyone recommend that I can get in the $500 price range or less. I paid only $275 for the Polk system. But I knew to begin with that those would only be temporary. I found a set of F+C DCM speakers at a resale shop, but was not for sure if they would be any better? They are the DCM-16S and DCM16C (Center Chanel) and a DCM TB1 I can get the whole set (look like new) for about $200 or less. I listen to them all and they all seem to be in good shape.
post #47 of 345 Old 07-21-08, 12:54 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
carls64 wrote: View Post
I am not sure they will let me return the Polk's because it has been about 3+ weeks but maybe, what do you recommend. or anyone recommend that I can get in the $500 price range or less. I paid only $275 for the Polk system. But I knew to begin with that those would only be temporary. I found a set of F+C DCM speakers at a resale shop, but was not for sure if they would be any better? They are the DCM-16S and DCM16C (Center Chanel) and a DCM TB1 I can get the whole set (look like new) for about $200 or less. I listen to them all and they all seem to be in good shape.
Most companies have a 30 day return policy, try that ... or you can sell it online or to somebody interested in them and maybe profit a little

I saw the DCM specifications ... compared to Polk, they're better (55Hz to 20KHz), subwoofer is the weakest link (42Hz-160Hz); but you can start with that and later upgrade to a better sub (SVS, HSU ) ... specially with a killer price like that
post #48 of 345 Old 07-21-08, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I swung by there on my lunch hour and looked at them and the 16S's were in perfect shape same for the 16C Center channel. The sub looked like it had been used but they guaranteed it worked fine the sub surround is rubber and it was perfect. I got them both (2x16S, 1x16C, TB1) for $200. I have purchased stuff from this place before and never have been unsatisfied. Internet price for the Speakers are $120 for the 16S's and $90 for the 16C and $150 for the TB1 so looks like I got a decent deal for $200 I should be able to get $150 out of them when I am ready to upgrade. ;-) I will use these for my Front and Center / Sub (maybe I could use both the Polk Powered Sub and the TB1 ;-)) and the Polk's for the Surround and rears! I was going to need two more speakers for to complete the 7.1 anyhow ;-)
post #49 of 345 Old 07-21-08, 04:45 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Congratulations!!!!

Yes you can start with that set up and upgrade little by little

Wait a minute ... How will you be able to upgrade??? ... What about this???

Quote:
Carls64 wrote:

My wife is going to kill me ...

There's a lot of member using at least two subs in their HT ... including me
post #50 of 345 Old 07-21-08, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

She has to catch me first!

I have to say she is being very supportive in this venture.

The contractor has been at the house all day today, I went home for lunch and he had over 1/2 of the framing done, he ran out of 2x4's and had to go get more. I am hoping he will have it almost completely framed when I get home tonight so I can start running wires.

I will have some more pictures posted later tonight of the progress.