Slaughter House Cinemas (Project Thread) - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 345 Old 07-23-08, 05:00 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape
Re: New basement HT Posting progress photos

It'll all be worth it soon enough. Hang in there.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 345 Old 07-23-08, 06:15 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
titch-- wrote: View Post
You can sleep next month.
Just don't do it during movies
post #63 of 345 Old 07-23-08, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ok now that the wiring is done there is not much more for me to do other than wait for the contractor to lay the dry wall and finish it. He starts tomorrow on the Drywall at 8am.

Here are the photos from Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Monday - Begin Framing
Tuesday - Finish framing and begin wiring
Wednesday - Completed wiring and insulation

More to come tomorrow!

post #64 of 345 Old 07-25-08, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Well the dry wall in mostly complete, he should start taping and muddling later this afternoon. I asked him hypothetically how much he would charge to pain the room, and he will now be painting the room for me, as I can't touch it for $125, I have to buy the paint obviously ;-)

I told my wife I was going to paint the ceiling black, and she said why not pain the whole room black ;-) Not sure I will like that but who knows it would save me from having to decide on a color LOL

Now I am deciding if I want to paint the walls a dark blue or dark red (black cherry). I am going to be putting in some new carpet as well. Currently it has a charcoal gray felt carpet, that was good for Min-Z RC cars ;-) and I had planned on just using that for now, but after the framing was done it was obvious that the carpet we going to be a pain to clean up, I should have taken it up before he started ;-)

We picked up the doors last night as well, I have a 32" steel entry door that has full insulation and full weatherstripping. I had budgeted $120 for a door, and I found this one for $88 at Home Depot, however it has holes for both a door knob and deadbolt, I wanted only a single home. So I bought a cheep deadbolt/door know set for it. We are installing it so the door opens outward from the room and thus is inset.

I am still not sure what to do about a stage and a rear seating riser. I don;t really have the funds right now not the seating so for now I suppose I will just wait for those. I do not have any real idea on what I want up front yet so I can add those later. As I have been told this is a never ending project so I guess I will just take my time once the main part is complete and I have a functioning HT.
post #65 of 345 Old 07-25-08, 03:01 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
carls64 wrote: View Post

I told my wife I was going to paint the ceiling black, and she said why not pain the whole room black ;-) Not sure I will like that but who knows it would save me from having to decide on a color LOL
You're lucky ... most of the time they don't want to even hear "dark color"

I suggest you to take her and choose a color; or you can sit down and scroll through the forum for pictures and show her; it doesn't have to be black ... just a dark color to avoid the light reflection

I've seen blue, gray, green and of course my color burgandy

Will you be using fiberglass to cover the whole front wall??? ... if you are, you don't need to paint it, just use speaker cloth or any transparent fabric to cover the fiberglass and you'll be fine.

Quote:
I am still not sure what to do about a stage and a rear seating riser. I don;t really have the funds right now not the seating so for now I suppose I will just wait for those. I do not have any real idea on what I want up front yet so I can add those later. As I have been told this is a never ending project so I guess I will just take my time once the main part is complete and I have a functioning HT.
If you have plans for a riser, maybe is a good idea to don't carpet the whole room (to me it will be a waste of money), it will look odd ... but Why you want to install carpet and then cut it and throw it away??? ... maybe is better to get some 2"x4"'s instead and start building the raiser little by little
post #66 of 345 Old 07-28-08, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Its been a couple days now and the drywall is prepped for painting, the contractor comes back this evening to put in the doors and spray the primer. The finished texture on the walls "orange peal" looks great and thus it required little to no sanding in most areas (he is a good mudder ;-)).

I have been running the dehumidifier in the room constantly so the area is kept very dry during this period so things dry evenly and quickly.

I have decided on my colors, please comment or recommend any thing that should be changed?

The ceiling and screen wall will be flat black. The side walls and rear of the room will be a dark Burgundy I think its called ruby quartz. It looks black when the lights are turned down low. It is flat as well.

For now I am going to pick up a piece of black "felt" carpet with no backing (it is similar to what had been down there at the start of the project, but in black) It has little to no reflectivity. I will have about 37'x12' of it so I could cover the entire floor with it but I am going to stop short of the back at 24' that should bring it from the screen wall to the equipment rack wall and leave me with severla feet left over. I am going to use carpet tape to tape the edges so I can pull it up later to build the stage and riser later on.

So in short, black ceiling, screen wall, and floor. dark Burgundy walls. I hope it looks nice ;-) more photos to follow soon.
post #67 of 345 Old 07-28-08, 02:18 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
carls64 wrote: View Post

So in short, black ceiling, screen wall, and floor. dark Burgundy walls. I hope it looks nice ;-) more photos to follow soon.
I'm sure it will look good ...

Are you planning to kill the front wall with fiberglass??? ... that will help with accoustics too, and instead of painting the wall; you can use speaker fabric or any transparent fabric (black)

Edit: I know is not the same as using fiberglass, but I'm sure it helps (I did it on my HT) ... you can use ceiling accoustic tiles (http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na...itemId=45147.0 ) just paint them black ...

Last edited by salvasol; 07-28-08 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Add text
post #68 of 345 Old 07-28-08, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
salvasol wrote: View Post
Are you planning to kill the front wall with fiberglass??? ... that will help with acoustics too, and instead of painting the wall; you can use speaker fabric or any transparent fabric (black) :huh
Reading back through the posts I think you asked that before but I was rude and never answered , sorry.

All the walls are pinked and t hen dry wall is that what you mean?

I am sure I will need some acoustical treatments throughout, and maybe a base tube?

I am planning a stage (small/short) and a riser in the future. Also have been toying with the idea of making pillars on either side of the screen and bottom to hid the speakers and subs.
post #69 of 345 Old 07-28-08, 02:58 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Generally, in a multi-channel environment, the front wall is absorbtive for a couple of different reasons:

- Deal with bass response anomolies if the speakers are relatively close and avoid issues with SBIR

- Absorb reflections from the surround speakers so they don't reflect and mix with the front soundstage and blur the imaging.

You're also going to want a reasonable amount of broadband bass control as well as some way to deal with the side wall reflections.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #70 of 345 Old 07-28-08, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
Generally, in a multi-channel environment, the front wall is absorbtive for a couple of different reasons
Based on what I have what would you recommend keeping in mind I have little to no budget left