Slaughter House Cinemas (Project Thread) - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 345 Old 07-29-08, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Re: New basement HT Posting progress photos

Looks like I can get it from them! It comes in the 4" 3 sheets 24x48 and 2" 6 sheets 24x48.

Now you think a 1' square cut diagonal will be a big enough triangle/wedge to put in the front corners? I can make two columns to the ceiling with 3 sheets with a 1'x2' piece left ;-)

The 2" section I can use to make wall treatments? What kind of inexpensive cloth to cover, burlap maybe?

I do not have any type of analyzer program, but I do have the calibration tool/mic that comes with my new Yamaha receiver.

I own a MacBook Pro laptop if there is anything I can use with that.

Thanks so much for your help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 345 Old 07-29-08, 10:53 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

You can do the corners at 12x12x17" if you need to. Normally, we use 17x17x24" or 24x24x34" triangles The bigger they are, the more surface area and also the deeper into the bass they'll reach effectively. 99% of the people use the 17x17x24". You'll get 8 triangles of that size out of a 2'x4' sheet - or - 32" of vertical height per piece - 96" per 3 pc bundle.

2" will be fine for wall and reflection point duties. Burlap will work. If you want something a little less coarse, you can also use Muslin. Cheap at JoAnn Fabrics. You can also dye it with RIT dye to whatever color you want.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #83 of 345 Old 07-29-08, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
You'll get 8 triangles of that size out of a 2'x4' sheet - or - 32" of vertical height per piece - 96" per 3 pc bundle.
Do you need to go all the way up to the ceiling with them?

I think I will build a frame outset from the wall to conceal the subs and left and right channel speakers and cover that with fabric?

post #84 of 345 Old 07-29-08, 12:04 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Preferably yes.

As for the covering, that's your call - just an aesthetic thing. If you do, keep the frame as minimal as possible and you'll have to use something like Guilford of Maine FR701-2100 fabric that's acoustically transparent if you're putting speakers behind it.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #85 of 345 Old 07-29-08, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I went home at lunch today and the painting is done and WOW its dark in there

Now I have to start connecting the electrical and installing the screen and projector and audio video equipment.

I will post more picture tonight.
post #86 of 345 Old 07-29-08, 08:10 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post

... you'll have to use something like Guilford of Maine FR701-2100 fabric that's acoustically transparent if you're putting speakers behind it.

Bryan
What about speaker cloth??? ... Do you think is a good idea for him to remove the speaker grills???
post #87 of 345 Old 07-29-08, 08:54 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Grille cloth is in theory, designed to be transparent - or - the speakers SHOULD be designed to work with the grilles on. That said, many aren't and the grille frames can cause diffraction issues. I personally always remove my grilles when I listen.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #88 of 345 Old 07-30-08, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Well the painting is done, or at least I thought it was until I looked more closely at the job, looks like it is going to need another coat ****!

But over all it looks good I think. Boy its dark in there with the lights down load the walls are or look black for sure!

I spent the evening putting in the recepticals, light switches and door knobs, HVAC vents.

Tomorrow I am going to clean up and maybe go get the carpet that will help for sure. If the walls don;t look any better tomorrow morning the contractor told me to call him and he will come back out and roll the walls again to cover up the light spots. I have to get another can of paint though.

Here are the photos from today:

http://www.itsallbutstraw.com/galler...g2_itemId=6297
post #89 of 345 Old 07-30-08, 02:20 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
carls64 wrote: View Post
Well the painting is done, or at least I thought it was until I looked more closely at the job, looks like it is going to need another coat ****! ...
Most of the time you need at least two coats ... specially with new walls or from light to dark colors

Quote:
...I spent the evening putting in the recepticals, light switches and door knobs, HVAC vents.
Don't forget to paint them too ...

Quote:
Here are the photos from today:
Everything looks nice
post #90 of 345 Old 08-01-08, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Carpet is in, its BLACK but its going to be fun keeping it clean! Now I need some baseboards I suppose, it looks funny without them

Progress so far has been mounting the projector, finishing the electrical outlets, doing something with the light switches, the box is recessed a little to far so I have to shim the mounts for the 3 switches so they look and work better.

I installed and cut my shelf's for the equipment rack (Thanks YW84U, I used your idea from HERE)

Found some $7 plug in LED lights to serve as walkway lighting until I build my Riser for the second row seating.

I hope to clean up the carpet a bit and set up the screen and get the surround speakers on the walls. I am using the THX guide so the rears will be 60 deg, and fronts will be 45 deg from center of the first row.

More pictures to come.