Slaughter House Cinemas (Project Thread) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 345 Old 07-15-08, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Lightbulb Slaughter House Cinemas (Project Thread)

Since the project is mostly done (Updated 07-07-2010)

Attachment 22633

Attachment 22643

Attachment 22644

Attachment 10903

Attachment 10904

I have been wanting a HT for about 20 years now. Now I have one!

My area began with and unfinished room about 13x30.

I had a local contractor finish the room all for under $2000 including materials and labor!

Current Equipment:
Panasonic PTAX-200U Projector
ezFrames 120" 16:9 Fixed Frame Cinegray screen
Yamaha RX-V663 AV Receiver
Emotiva LPA-1 7 Channel Amplifier
Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP-1124P
Elemental Designs A6-6T6 - Tower Pair front left/right
Elemental Designs A6-6T6 - MTM Single Center channel
Emotiva Dipole-1 Surround Speakers
Elemental Designs A3-5TC - Rear Surrounds
2 x Elemental Designs A2-300 Subwoofers
Play Station 3 (For Blu ray)
Used Theater seating (Marquee) from www.seatsandchairs.com x 8
Misc Lighting control from X10 for Ambient Lighting
Logitech Harmony 890 Pro Remote with RF Repeater

The finish on the walls and ceiling are an orange peal texture, the ceiling is flat black, the walls are dark burgundy.

Screen wall is a false wall 2' deep. It includes corner base traps using 2" OC703 superchunks (Cut into triangles filling the corners from floor to ceiling) the wall is then framed and covered with black GOM 701.

The floor is concrete covered with black felt type of carpet.

The walls are 2x4 studs and a single layer of Sheetrock, fiberglass insulated. The ceiling is single layer Sheetrock with R19 insulation.

For the entry door, I settled with a steal insulated entry door.

Inside there is 4 foot storage area that doubles as a AV rack (in wall), this has a 28" luane door. The storage area is insulated as there is a expulsion sump there with a pump, that runs when it rains heavy. Its a submersible pump so it is very quiet already in the area.

I used 14 gauge for all the speakers and a RCA cables for the sub.

I have 6 - 6" recessed lights for the main lighting, and for cleaning. I also have 4 plaster type wall sconces for the ambient lighting that many have used here from Home Depot, they were about $22 each.

The lighting is controlled by 2-3 X10 Light modules / switches that have dimmers. This is connected using the X-10 IR transmitter unit, and a iconRemote for AV control and lighting.

I purchased an IR repeater kit from PI Manufacturing (I purchase many item from this place and have never been disappointed): pimfg dot com, item number TTA-1148. This allows me to IR connect all the devices. Although for some reason the X-10 IR unit will not work with this so I have to place it up front concealing it somewhere.

I want to thank everyone here at the shack for all their help and support!

+Peace be with you+
Carl Slaughter

Last edited by akakillroy; 08-06-11 at 09:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 345 Old 07-15-08, 09:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: New basement HT Posting progress photos

Welcome Carl! Looking forward to seeing your pics.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 345 Old 07-15-08, 10:36 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Welcome aboard Carl..

It all sounds very good..
Keep us up to date and looking forward to seeing some pics also..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #4 of 345 Old 07-15-08, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I will have to make a few more posts before I can post links but the photos are available in my profile, in my gallery site. They are currently only before shots.
post #5 of 345 Old 07-15-08, 11:51 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Welcome Carl

Looking forward to seeing the plans. We'll be happy to help however we can in working through the design to get you the best space for the budget you have to work with.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #6 of 345 Old 07-16-08, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

While I am waiting to get my contracted started, I need to know where to place my boxes for the speaker placement. With a 120" screen that is 104" wide, and 54" tall. The ceiling in there will be about 6'8" with an 8" soffit to cover the pvc drain. 8-10" across the width (13') and about 10" out from the wall. Will make a nice overhand above the screen.

I may place some recessed lights there to accent the screen when it is not being used. So with that said, that will give me only about 20" from the floor I would like to make a small stage but that will bring the bottom of the screen down to 14" from the floor. I will make a 2x4 stage.

I plan on 6" recessed lights in the whole room for main lighting, and wall sconces for ambient lighting. So where is the best place to place the recessed lights (distance from the wall, etc) and where to place the sconces, I think I only need four, two on each side. I think I would want them further back from the scree and closer to the seating.

My camera to screen settings look like about 16' and my first row seating is 9' and second row at 12' or a little less.

Speaker placement is the next thing, I have a 104" wide screen, that gives me about 25" on either side, probably closer to 2'. Center channel is going to be either right below the screen at about 15" or right above in the soffet if I can make room there, however it will be further out than it would be below. I am going to do some more measuring tonight and get exact figures to post, and some pictures. Any help on placement would be greatly appreciated.

Next comes the side surround speakers, where to mount/place those. Then the back channel. I will also try to post a diagram of what I had planned on and help there would be appreciated as well. I need to know height as well, but from what I understand the front and center should be as close to ear lever while seated as possible, the surround and back channel can be 5-7 feet?

Thanks for your input

Room dimensions again are 13' wide (Screen width) and 25' deep after the storage room is installed. There is a post in the middle of the room offset about 16" from the right side wall :-( that I can't move. I also have a soffet to cover the heating cooling return ducts that gets about 1/4 of the ceiling toward the rear.
post #7 of 345 Old 07-16-08, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Attached is a pdf of the room, I have not added in the ceiling obstructions and the general over all celing height is going to about 7'5" shorter around where the projector is going to be. I will complete the drawing a little more and send it again for better perspectives.

Last edited by akakillroy; 08-06-11 at 09:53 PM.
post #8 of 345 Old 07-16-08, 05:28 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Welcome to the forum

Quote:
carls64 wrote: View Post
... I need to know where to place my boxes for the speaker placement...
Why you need boxes??? ... are you trying to hide them??? or boxes for the wire connectors???
Did you already purchased the Polk 6750??? ... they're okay to start, but if you can get something with a better frequency response it will be better (speakers go from 135Hz to 24KHz, you need at least 60Hz-20Khz for the front so you don't have to upgrade to soon )

I did the same (I got Infinity TSS750 120Hz-20Khz) and in less than a year I started changing speakers ... specailly the front L +R + C

Quote:
... With a 120" screen that is 104" wide, and 54" tall... My camera to screen settings look like about 16' and my first row seating is 9' and second row at 12' or a little less....
I think that screen will be to big for your viewing distance ... here is a calculator to get the recommended size http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

Quote:
... I am going to do some more measuring tonight and get exact figures to post, and some pictures...
A sketch of your plan will also be helpful

Quote:
... but from what I understand the front and center should be as close to ear lever while seated as possible, the surround and back channel can be 5-7 feet? ...
That's correct ... after you post pictures, sketch, etc. you'll get some suggestion to get the best out of your HT
post #9 of 345 Old 07-16-08, 05:38 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
carls64 wrote: View Post
Attached is a pdf of the room, I have not added in the ceiling obstructions and the general over all celing height is going to about 7'5" shorter around where the projector is going to be. I will complete the drawing a little more and send it again for better perspectives.
i hope you don't mind a pasted a link to your photos here ... http://www.itsallbutstraw.com/galler...g2_itemId=5341
post #10 of 345 Old 07-16-08, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
salvasol wrote: View Post
Why you need boxes??? ... are you trying to hide them??? or boxes for the wire connectors???
Sorry low voltage boxes for the speaker wire to come out of the wall, or something where the sire comes out so I know where they will go ;-)

Quote:
Did you already purchased the Polk 6750??? ... they're okay to start, but if you can get something with a better frequency response it will be better (speakers go from 135Hz to 24KHz, you need at least 60Hz-20Khz for the front so you don't have to upgrade to soon )
Yes I already purchased I got them for $275 so I don;t think that was bad. I have the following other speakers that may be able to be used for front channel:
Pair of Optimus Pro LX5 with Linaeum Tweeters
Pair of Optimus Pro 7 Small bookshelf, not sure if they would be better than the Polk's
I have had the Polk's for about 3 4 weeks now, I got a deal at a local shop and figured they would be good to start with. My budget will not allow for any further equipment purchases right now.

Quote:
I think that screen will be to big for your viewing distance ... here is a calculator to get the recommended size
Sorry but I quoted wrong distances, I used the distance calculator from Projector Central, and it shows the recommended seating at 11-17' with the projector at 14'8" at 1.64x zoom or 12-19' at 14'3" throw, and a zoom of 1.70x, both for 120" screen (59"x120"

Quote:
A sketch of your plan will also be helpful
Already attached a couple messages back.

After dinner I will make some more measurements of the ceiling and post a new sketch, and the photos link you so kindly posted for me, thank you!