3+ tvs setup need HT Receiver help - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 04-14-16, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

3+ tvs setup need HT Receiver help

so hello everyone, my first post here. I'm renovating my basement with a plan to have a serious multi tv screen setup. i plan on having a one 80inch tv in the middle, two 50's on top of each other on on side and a 60inch alone on the other side. also i will add a drop down 106inch projector screen infront of all that. so where i'm stuck is finding the right home theatre receiver to hook up all these to. i have 4 dish boxes to connect which will operate all four tvs and can switch manually between one of them to the projector when need be. i would like to be able to flip sound between the four tvs with a press of a button and still stay on the surround sound speakers please help.

i am not very tech saavy in this field in terms of new technology, so take it easy on me. thanks much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-14-16, 04:11 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: 3+ tvs setup need HT Receiver help

It is not difficult at all. You can connect each TV & projector via HDMI to your AVR. Depending on which one you want to hear, just select that HDMI input. For continuous picture on all displays, I would run a video cable (the kind will depend on the available outputs) from each box to the display. I often listen to music and leave the picture on the TV. works because I run a separate video cable from my STB to the TV.

Last edited by Tonto; 04-14-16 at 10:35 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-14-16, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

so connect all boxes to a normal one output receiver via hdmi inputs, AND run cables from the dish boxes via video outputs directly to the tvs? will that work? so i dont have to use the main hdmi output on the AVR? thanks for your help

post #4 of 20 Old 04-14-16, 08:30 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

You will need an AVR with enough inputs, one for each source. For the one output, you'll need an HDMI splitter that will accommodate a cable to each display. I don't know of a remote controlled switch, but there should be one. I'll look around the net. And somebody may chime in as well with a better way.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-14-16, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Maybe I don't understand how those "switches" work but wouldn't using such a switch using the one output from the AVR cause all the tvs to be on same channel/source at all times? So I won't be able to watch diff sources on diff tvs
post #6 of 20 Old 04-14-16, 10:38 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

You will get a picture on each TV from the video cable from each STB. The AVR will send a signal (sound & video) from which ever input you select. With the switch, you will choose which display this is sent to. There may be better ways to do it that I'm not aware of. I'll keep researching.

Edit: Found this, it will handle 3 TV's & the projector! No remote control however.

https://sewelldirect.com/sewell-1x4-...x2k-resolution

Last edited by Tonto; 04-14-16 at 11:01 PM.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-17-16, 01:59 PM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

You'll need a few things here.

An HDMI video matrix with HDBaseT would be ideal.

If you plan on having more than two audio zones I'd suggest you really consider getting an audio matrix and distribution amp.

DACs for any source that doesn't have analog audio out.

Extender receivers for your displays.

And a real good control system.

Also be sure to build out a very stable wired network for device communications.

With this much gear a rack is a best bet.

----
The video matrix will become the hub of your system; handling source routing and EDID.

You'll be able to select and combinations of inputs and outputs for your HDMI sources.

The audio matrix would do the same for audio.

A control system will handle all the logic for switching.

You're not looking at an inexpensive solution but it is one you'll be able to grow and it will be stable.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-17-16, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thank your for your help, this sounds like the Bentley of entertainment systems, I'm looking for more like a ford or Chrysler lol.

I am not familiar with all those switches n receivers, so my first question is does a video switch send audio too thru hdmi too

All my tv units are going to be very close to the system so do I need the HDBaseT?

Do I need a PC to control the matrix?

Will this work, 2 output home theatre receiver, plug all the sources into the receiver and then plug the two outs into a 2x4 switch which connect to the tvs. Use the Receiver and switch combination to control what comes up where.

Any good value matrix u recommend, seems like there are all kinds with prices vary greatly.

Again thank you so much.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-17-16, 05:59 PM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

You are honestly around 10K in parts not counting TVs, Projector, and speakers.

-edit-
Assuming you're going for 4K HDCP2.2 hdmi2.0a

Extenders are good for a few reasons, not the least of which is that as standards change the cat cables can be repurposed or extenders replaced

It's not an über system by any means, but you still need the right equipment to make everything come together right.

You could use a PC based system for control but there are other options. I like Savant for a system like this but if you're a DIY guy look into iRule or Roomie as options.

Last edited by rab-byte; 04-17-16 at 06:05 PM.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-17-16, 06:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

As for brands...
Atlona and Leaf are very good!