Hi, new home theatre in planning stages, lots of ?? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 12-21-08, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
mach

Hi, new home theatre in planning stages, lots of ??

hey guys, just joined this great forum. I just finished building our dream home, so now it's time to build our home cinema room. The room is carpeted & heavily insulated, and has painted sheet rock walls. ceiling is 8 ft high, room is 17' x 15'6". I plan on mounting the lcd tv / projector screen on the 15'6' wall. This allows me to use the 17' width for extra seating. I may start with 2 large couches in a "V" shape pattern facing the screen. I'm leaning towards using a 52" lcd tv. but a projector mounted in the ceiling might work better. I've seen many viewing range calculators, but it seems each of them gives me a different viewing distance. I figure my average viewing range will be about 10' from the screen. I've been told a 52" is as large as i can go, with a 10' viewing distance. I will be viewing in hdtv. Does a 52" LCD screen @ 10' away seem about right to you guys?

Also, I am thinking about recessing a mini-snack bar into one of the back walls. I have a section of my back wall, that has a 4' x 4' area behind this wall that could be used to build my snack bar. I'd like to layout a this area to hold a mini-fridge, microwave, and some cabinets & counter tops, to give this room a real cinema feeling, Any idea, where i could get some idea's to build/layout my snack bar?

Thanks, I'm sure, i will have many more questions in the weeks and months ahead. thanks guys,
Mach

Last edited by mach; 12-21-08 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-22-08, 06:05 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape
Re: Hi, new home theatre in planning stages, lots of ??

Welcome Mach

Pish posh on 52" at 10'. I run 92" at 10' with no problem and could go bigger. General recommended minimum THX viewing cone is 36 degrees included angle.

I'd seriously rethink doing 2 couches side by side. You'll be putting several seats way off to the side which will give poor viewing angles, poor stereo/surround imaging, and poor bass response by being very close to a wall. 2 rows of seating with 1 raised would be a far superior solution if you can swing it.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #3 of 7 Old 12-22-08, 08:00 AM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

I'm also running 92" at 10' or so and it looks great. I could maybe go up to 100" in my room, but I'd have to buy shorter speakers

A quick trick a friend taught me from film school (he was there, not me): Sit in the desired seating position (usually determined by acoustics). Extend your arms all the way out in front of you and open up your hands wide. Touch your thumbs together.

The width pinky to pinky is pretty close to the ideal screen size. Obviously some people will have massive hands with short arms or vice versa, but for most people this works as a ballpark. In film school they actually taught this as light balance -- i.e. you want a certain percentage of your viewing area lit up to reduce eye strain, but not so large that you have to turn your head to see everything on screen.

Good luck, and Welcome to the Shack!

post #4 of 7 Old 12-22-08, 12:28 PM
Elite Shackster

David

I'm using a Samsung 67" DLP, my first row is just 9' from TV and it looks good.

I agree with Anthony and Bryan, place the seats first and then determine the screen size, and if you can accomodate two rows of seats instead of the V shape; it will work better .
post #5 of 7 Old 12-22-08, 12:50 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I have a 15' wide room just as you do but longer and currently have the dreaded "V" shape sofa layout and it does not work very well sound wise my screen is 96" and my seating distance is about 14' back.
As soon as I have the budget I will be building a riser and going two rows as well.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 7 Old 12-28-08, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
mach

if i go 2 rows, using a riser for the back couch, the people on the front couch will only be about 8' from the tv. i was planning on using an lcd, but i have the option of recessing a dlp set, into my wall, because i have access to the back side of that wall. i could save some money going with a 65" dlp set. mitsubishi has a new on out that has a 120hz refresh rate, for about $2000.00 bucks, but if i'm only 8' from the tv, a 65' may be too big. what do you guys think?
post #7 of 7 Old 12-28-08, 01:23 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
mach wrote: View Post

...if i'm only 8' from the tv, a 65' may be too big. what do you guys think?
I think is not a problem, I have a 67" DLP and the first row is just about 9' ...

But a prefer to seat in the back row .