Lake Martin Theater - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 89 Old 01-25-09, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rickp

Lake Martin Theater

My wife and I started to remodel our house in December of 07, part of the remodel is a dedicated HT room with a small equipment room next door. The HT room slab is 13x23. The house is progressing nicely which now gives me some time to finally work on the HT. Did I mention we are building this place almost single handed? I have more time than money and with a full time job I don't have much time either.

Our goals are;
1) To have a place to experiance music and movies that defies description!
2) Just because!
3) To improve the value of our home.

Note #3 came about recently when we found that a move is in our near future.

As The room stands now it has 2x4 walls 9' tall with spray foam insulation. the roof is a small 4 on 12 pitch built with 2x6's and also spray foam insulation. The attic area is sealed between the HT room and equipment room and closet with plywood and spray foam.

The only common wall with the rest of the house is the equipment room and a closet both of which are built with double sheetrock internally.

We then built 2x4 x20ga metal stud walls isolated from the floor with 1/2 recycled rubber used for concrete driveway seams. Next is 2x6 20ga metal for the ceiling, 8 1/2' tall, there is a 2" air gap between the exterior walls and interior walls.

The conduit for wiring was next we used 1" Carlon flex for all the speaker runs and 2" for the run to the projector and console. (that 2" is hard to work with!)

The metal stud walls are then insulated with R13 and the ceiling has R19.

The next part was fun, (NOT!) 1/2 plywood liqued nailed and screwed to the metal studs and then all seams, recepticals and ducts were Siliconed with the 50 year flexible stuff.

This room is completely decoupled from the rest of the house, no part of this room touching any house structure except for the rubber between the walls and concrete slab, and of course some concrete screws keeping the room from walking when the LFE kicks in.

We will be using a 4x18" IB sub woofer that is a horizontal line array Unfortunatly I had to anchor it to the slab to keep it from ejecting itself into our neighbors yard, yikes.

And that is where we are today.

I will now attempt to load some Pics.

Maybe not, I will try again later, Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 01-25-09, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rickp

Re: Lake Martin Theater

post #3 of 89 Old 01-25-09, 09:46 PM
Shackster

mitchok

Welcome to the club... been working on my HT since last year. Look forward to seeing progress on your HT.

MitchOK

MitchOK Construction Thread

MitchOK

post #4 of 89 Old 01-25-09, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rickp

As the room sits today.

post #5 of 89 Old 01-25-09, 11:08 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Uh-oh... and my room is 18' x 24' x 8.5'... so I suppose I am looking for a lot of fun plywooding my room.

Check out the Green Glue... that stuff looks like it is the ticket.

Nice work...
post #6 of 89 Old 01-26-09, 07:26 AM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

Looking good!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #7 of 89 Old 02-27-09, 11:21 AM
Shackster
scott

Keep up the work....Over a year and I am still working on mine
post #8 of 89 Old 03-02-09, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rickp

I have done some more work. All the plywood has been covered with Bituthane a 60 mil rubber product, that stuff is so stickey it will rip your fingerprints right off your fingers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exterior shot of the 4 18" FiCars

Finished off nicely

And now we have 5/8 drywall

Woofer OB boxs for my mains each housing 2 15" Daytons

Rear side

Finally some progress
post #9 of 89 Old 03-02-09, 11:41 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

You know I am envying you right about now.... I have plywood and sheetrock sitting on the floor in our HT room now, but I cannot seem to get past the wiring and little piddly things that I have to get done.

I can't wait to hear about that IB setup. It should really be killer in that room.

The room looks very solid too! Of course it is solid, so it should look that way.

I wanted the foam insulation, but I could not afford it, not with all the other stuff we are doing, but I am getting the blown cellulose, which is supposedly better than regular insulation for sound isolation.

So tell us about the rubber Bituthane... what made you decide to go with that and how effective is it supposed to be?

Also the OB mains... those look interesting.
post #10 of 89 Old 03-03-09, 04:47 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
rickp wrote: View Post
I have done some more work. All the plywood has been covered with Bituthane a 60 mil rubber product, that stuff is so stickey it will rip your fingerprints right off your fingers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exterior shot of the 4 18" FiCars

Finished off nicely

Most impressive..
I do hope you have some fly screen wire on the other side of that vent, otherwise you're going to have all sorts of crawlies making their home in there..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!