Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 in an 11x14 dedicated HT - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
 9Likes

post #11 of 33 Old 01-07-17, 06:31 PM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System
Re: Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 in an 11x14 dedicated HT

Just another option.. look at the emotiva BASX line of products... would be nice ... good price as well.
willis7469 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 Old 01-07-17, 07:52 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Hi zakk. You mentioned moving the screen up and putting the speakers under the screen. My personal feeling is that mains need to be to the sides of the screen so that off screen pans can follow the horizontal line off to the sides. Everyone's mileage may differ but I thought that was worth noting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 33 Old 01-07-17, 08:39 PM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

Get an ATS screen!

We will spend your money here...
ellisr63 likes this.

post #14 of 33 Old 01-08-17, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks again to everyone for taking their time to give me feedback on this. I am really not open to changing the seating configuration and I am not looking for a different screen or to move the screen. I will add sound absorbing panels and bass traps. I am open to using more or less speakers, but nothing in the room is being put there just for show (or "ego").

To get back to my original inquiry, I am trying to simply determine if there is a way to make Atmos work in this space or if I am better off sticking with 5.1 or 7.1 surround. I have various surround speakers and two sets of mains to choose from, but I am willing to get other speakers (like dipoles), if they would make more sense for the space. The only thing I will not do is eliminate a row of seats so the seating layout I showed is what we have to work with here. Based on this, I am trying to determine the best speaker position and configuration.

I do not mean to come off as combative about the feedback, it is just that all the suggestions are not working within the parameters of the project. Ideally my room would be 5 feet wider and 10 feet deeper, but it is simply not possible so I am trying to make the most out of the space I have and the number of seats I am getting.
post #15 of 33 Old 01-08-17, 04:18 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
I think you could still make Atmos work with 2 ceiling speakers in the middle of the room. Forget trying 2 back speakers with the current seating arrangement. 2 side speakers is doable although not ideal if anyone is sitting in the outside seats of the rear.
post #16 of 33 Old 01-08-17, 07:23 PM
Elite Shackster

Ron

My System

Quote:
Zakk wrote: View Post
Thanks again to everyone for taking their time to give me feedback on this. I am really not open to changing the seating configuration and I am not looking for a different screen or to move the screen. I will add sound absorbing panels and bass traps. I am open to using more or less speakers, but nothing in the room is being put there just for show (or "ego").

To get back to my original inquiry, I am trying to simply determine if there is a way to make Atmos work in this space or if I am better off sticking with 5.1 or 7.1 surround. I have various surround speakers and two sets of mains to choose from, but I am willing to get other speakers (like dipoles), if they would make more sense for the space. The only thing I will not do is eliminate a row of seats so the seating layout I showed is what we have to work with here. Based on this, I am trying to determine the best speaker position and configuration.

I do not mean to come off as combative about the feedback, it is just that all the suggestions are not working within the parameters of the project. Ideally my room would be 5 feet wider and 10 feet deeper, but it is simply not possible so I am trying to make the most out of the space I have and the number of seats I am getting.
I don't think anyone was saying that your setup was for show or ego, but i can tell you that my listening area is about 20' long and 19' wide, and I removed my seating in the 2nd row as it is just to close to the rear wall.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #17 of 33 Old 01-08-17, 07:28 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Quote:
Zakk wrote: View Post

I don't think anyone was saying that your setup was for show or ego, but i can tell you that my listening area is about 20' long and 19' wide, and I removed my seating in the 2nd row as it is just to close to the rear wall.
Mine is 30' X 20' and I feel it is too small.
post #18 of 33 Old 01-08-17, 08:27 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

My bad. The ego point was made by me, but was my fault for not making it clear I wasn't talking about the OP. What I meant by that was I've seen it before where people just HAVE to have every box checked. Since zakk came here looking for advice I didn't think that was the case so I didn't think I needed to clarify.
So after all that, I say go 5.2 with dipoles. Maybe go for 5.2.2 but don't waste any money on 7ch.

post #19 of 33 Old 01-08-17, 08:51 PM
Elite Shackster

Ron

My System

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
My bad. The ego point was made by me, but was my fault for not making it clear I wasn't talking about the OP. What I meant by that was I've seen it before where people just HAVE to have every box checked. Since zakk came here looking for advice I didn't think that was the case so I didn't think I needed to clarify.
So after all that, I say go 5.2 with dipoles. Maybe go for 5.2.2 but don't waste any money on 7ch.

I would def go for at least 2 subs.
willis7469 likes this.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #20 of 33 Old 01-08-17, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Hi zakk. You mentioned moving the screen up and putting the speakers under the screen. My personal feeling is that mains need to be to the sides of the screen so that off screen pans can follow the horizontal line off to the sides. Everyone's mileage may differ but I thought that was worth noting.
To be accurate, I did not say anything about moving the screen at all, but I have speakers that will fit beneath the screen if there is an advantage to that. My current main speakers are Polk LS90s (L-C-R) which I love the sound of, but I also have a pair of Klipsch that are shorter. Both are probably fine for theater purposes, but the Polk blow away the Klipsch for music listening. I mentioned this in response to Bryan Pape's comment "The screen is definitely pushing and forcing front speakers into corners - which also precludes bass control in the room"

Quote:
Since 5.2.2 is 7 channels (as far as I understand the nomenclature), I assume you mean not to waste the money on the 7.2.4, correct? So, would your suggestion be to use the dipoles for the height effects? I am not clear on which speakers you are suggesting to eliminate. Let's assume, for a moment that my receiver will have 9 channel capability and I already have the speakers (I am testing SVS surrounds and effects right now, but I really love my B&W Rock Solid Monitors and have enough for either configuration), would you still suggest 5.2.2 over 7.2.4? I am wondering if there is actually an advantage to the 5.2.2 in my situation (taking money out of the equation). Any dipoles you like?

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
Mine is 30' X 20' and I feel it is too small.
I have space envy! Your space is nearly 4 times the size of mine! You know the famous quote "I cried because I only had a 600 sq ft theater until I met the man who only had a 150 sq ft theater"? They were talking about you!

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
I think you could still make Atmos work with 2 ceiling speakers in the middle of the room. Forget trying 2 back speakers with the current seating arrangement. 2 side speakers is doable although not ideal if anyone is sitting in the outside seats of the rear.
Do you think the rear ceiling speakers would make it sound worse or just no big advantage? I assume you would recommend the ceiling speakers over wall mounting the height effects, correct? Would you recommend dipoles for the side effects?

Quote:
fschris wrote: View Post
Get an ATS screen!

We will spend your money here...
Why? I love my Silver Ticket screen

Quote:
fschris wrote: View Post
Just another option.. look at the emotiva BASX line of products... would be nice ... good price as well.
I am not familiar with their equipment beyond what I have read on their site? Do you feel these are better than the Yamaha RXA2060 and 3060 receivers?