Star Ceilings - Painted vs Fiber optic - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 16 Old 08-17-19, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jeff

Re: Star Ceilings - Painted vs Fiber optic

Thanks! He's very talented... and I wish I could get him to make more for me!

Quote:
toothybugs wrote: View Post
Yup, nailed it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 09-04-19, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jeff

Here's something to think about if you've decided to paint, or have painted, a star ceiling.

post #13 of 16 Old 09-05-19, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jeff

A star mural on a Tray ceiling

Have a "Tray" ceiling and thinking about painting a star ceiling? Sweet... they are the best!!!

post #14 of 16 Old 09-06-19, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jeff

So you just paid a lot of money to have a star ceiling painted, or you spent a lot of time painting it yourself... and now it's time to charge that mural up and enjoy it. You look at the price of regular tube black lights, or the UV blacklight LED strips... and have some sticker shock. But then you find some blacklight rope lights that say that they are UV also... at a fraction of the cost of the other lights. So, you are about to pull the trigger and pay the $15 for enough lights to string around your room 3 or 4 times... when you see this video. Does this video validate your purchase, or discourage it?

post #15 of 16 Old 09-11-19, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jeff

If you are planning to paint a star ceiling and you are going to put in a soffit for the charging lights... then here's a little diagram of a suggestion that I've given people over the years.

Besides coming down as far from the ceiling as possible (so the lights will hit the paint all the way out in the center of the room)... I always suggest a couple of circuits up there (one for the Charging lights and one for other rope lights for mood lighting). Sure, the blacklights are nice to look at, but sometimes you want a different color coming out of the soffit... thus the two circuits.

Also, if you have a fairly large ceiling, then I usually suggest an outlet (for the charging lights) to go in one corner, and then another to go in an opposite corner. The reason is that LED lights that are closest to the tube blacklights and give off the least amount of visible lights come in 12v... and can only run for 16.4' before needing more power. So, with two outlets, in opposite corners, you can usually cover most ceilings. Just plug in two 16' strips of lights into one outlet and then run the lights in opposite directions down the walls inside the soffit. Then, from the outlet that is in the opposite corner, run two more strips in opposite directions down the walls. By doing it that way, you can run 64' of lights without any extension cords. If your ceiling is bigger than 64', then you can add more outlets in different places.

The other circuit can then be used to power RGB rope lights, or whatever lights you'd like in there for mood lighting... and then run them independent of each other.

So, here is a graphic that I made for a customer to help explain things. Hope this helps someone.

Print
post #16 of 16 Old 09-16-19, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jeff

Isn't Glow paint and Fluorescent paint the same thing? I get this question frequently so I wanted to answer it in a video.