Acoustic ceiling tiles worth the extra $? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Fester

Re: Acoustic ceiling tiles worth the extra $?

My concern with using drywall is that I won't have access to the wiring going from my receiver to my projector. What happens should I want to change wires when a new technology comes around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 01:17 PM
Senior Shackster

Ted White

Quote:
Captain Rex wrote: View Post
My concern with using drywall is that I won't have access to the wiring going from my receiver to my projector. What happens should I want to change wires when a new technology comes around?
We've all been there. The fact is that the rest of your house has buried pipes and wires also.

Ted White

The Soundproofing Company
post #13 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Fester

Quote:
Ted White wrote: View Post
We've all been there. The fact is that the rest of your house has buried pipes and wires also.
OK, this is not meant to be sarcastic at all, but what do you do when you need to replace/change something?

post #14 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 01:28 PM
Senior Shackster

Ted White

Well if there's a leak in the bathroom, you cut a hole in the drywall, fix the problem, and patch the drywall. Same in the basement.

If there's a valve that you need seasonal access to, you can install a hatch.

Ted White

The Soundproofing Company
post #15 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 01:37 PM
Senior Shackster
Steve

Quote:
Captain Rex wrote: View Post
Run a conduit

Quote:
dradius wrote: View Post
I would do R-19 or nothing at all. There are tons of water lines, pipes, etc. and I don't want to cover it all up with drywall. I'm probably selling the house in 5 years or so, so it isn't my 'forever' theater. Or else I'd go double drywall, gg, etc.
As to getting access to plumbing and such .... I have owned several houses and been in this one for over 5 years and never had a issue with anything in the ceiling of my basement that I had to go fix after the fact ... just plan carefully ... if in doubt run 2" conduit from projector to equiptment room and smurf tube everywhere else ... test all connections before you drywall ... enjoy quiet bliss in the rest of the house even when someone has the theater cranked to reference levels in the basement

dont forget that sound isloation is not only about keeping sound from escaping the theater to the rest of the house but also to keep the sounds of the house ( footfalls on the floor above, water running in pipes, HVAC etc etc ) out of the theater so you can enjoy the movie ... when there is alot of outside noise to contend with the common reaction we have is to raise the volume level ... I had a good example when I came home a couple days ago and my youngest daughter was watching a TV show in the Great Room which is right beside the kitchen, my other 2 daughters were at the eating bar and my wife was cooking dinner ... the TV volume was WAY up there as she compensated for the sounds around her
post #16 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Fester

Quote:
ScruffyHT wrote: View Post
Run a conduit

As to getting access to plumbing and such .... I have owned several houses and been in this one for over 5 years and never had a issue with anything in the ceiling of my basement that I had to go fix after the fact ... just plan carefully ... if in doubt run 2" conduit from projector to equiptment room and smurf tube everywhere else ... test all connections before you drywall ... enjoy quiet bliss in the rest of the house even when someone has the theater cranked to reference levels in the basement

dont forget that sound isloation is not only about keeping sound from escaping the theater to the rest of the house but also to keep the sounds of the house ( footfalls on the floor above, water running in pipes, HVAC etc etc ) out of the theater so you can enjoy the movie ... when there is alot of outside noise to contend with the common reaction we have is to raise the volume level ... I had a good example when I came home a couple days ago and my youngest daughter was watching a TV show in the Great Room which is right beside the kitchen, my other 2 daughters were at the eating bar and my wife was cooking dinner ... the TV volume was WAY up there as she compensated for the sounds around her

OK, I may have to go this route. The conduit might look a little funky as it won't be inside the wall though......the walls are already mudded and almost finished. Oh well, I was going to have to figure something out anyways as the wall with the receiver and such was a half wall and I couldn't figure out a good way for the wiring to run from the top half wall under the shelf and then down the lower half wall. Hope that makes sense.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-24-18, 04:48 AM

My suggestion is perforated ceiling panels is one of the best option. It is widely used in churches, offices, office buildings, restaurant, multipurpose room, music rooms, restaurants & night clubs etc.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-24-18, 02:55 AM
Shackster

I am using decorative ceiling tiles, these mainly composed of polyester fiber material, which is also a strong sound absorption and noise reduction material. The reason why they absorb sound is mainly because of their own porosity and film resonance principle.