Acoustic ceiling tiles worth the extra $? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Fester

Acoustic ceiling tiles worth the extra $?

Hey everyone, I would love to hear some input on whether there would be a noticeable difference between putting up USG Cheyenne/Sandrift drop ceiling tiles versus regular old ceiling tiles. If someone has a different ceiling tile to recommend, I'm all hears as well.

In the end, my wife wants to not hear the noise from the theater room. It is in the basement under our kitchen and utilizes regular insulation and 5/8" drywall on the sides. No carpeting yet. Solid I-shaped joists in the ceiling. I was thinking of putting rolled insulation up there (R-19) and maybe even do it double thick.

Again any help would be appreciated. This will tie in with my other thread a little bit as I'llbe asking about color schemes in that one and wonder if I need to purchase a dark ceiling tile and rack or can just paint them myself (will this ruin the acoustic abilities of the tile???)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 11:20 AM
Senior Shackster

Ted White

Re: Acoustic ceiling tiles worth the extra $?

Hi Rex, Welcome. The tiles won't do much, if anything to keep noise in the theater. Sorry to say. No mass, not sealed, etc. The only real solution is drywall. Drywall is sealed and masive.

Ted White

The Soundproofing Company
post #3 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 11:42 AM
Senior Shackster

dradius

That's interesting Ted. I was reading about this stuff the other day because I'm going with a drop ceiling and was thinking about painting the tiles vs. buying black ones. The guys in the forum were saying drop ceilings are better with sound vs. drywall. Someone also posted a response from one of the tile manufacturers about painting them. Basically, they said you will lose a little of the acoustic properties if you paint them. I'll try to find the link again and post it. This was for normal tiles, nothing fancy.
I'll go ahead and say Ted is correct and the other post I read was wrong. This is unfortunate though because a drop ceiling is really my only choice.
Oh and I did see where some people who painted their tiles black, taped up the metal supports and then painted them. So if they sell the house, they can just peel the tape off the supports and flip the tiles over to easily go back to white.

post #4 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Fester

Quote:
dradius wrote: View Post
That's interesting Ted. I was reading about this stuff the other day because I'm going with a drop ceiling and was thinking about painting the tiles vs. buying black ones. The guys in the forum were saying drop ceilings are better with sound vs. drywall. Someone also posted a response from one of the tile manufacturers about painting them. Basically, they said you will lose a little of the acoustic properties if you paint them. I'll try to find the link again and post it. This was for normal tiles, nothing fancy.
I'll go ahead and say Ted is correct and the other post I read was wrong. This is unfortunate though because a drop ceiling is really my only choice.
Oh and I did see where some people who painted their tiles black, taped up the metal supports and then painted them. So if they sell the house, they can just peel the tape off the supports and flip the tiles over to easily go back to white.
Thanks for the input guys! I'd love to hear if someone else has opinions on this matter. Taped up the metal....never thought of doing that.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 11:52 AM
Senior Shackster

dradius

Another idea instead of painting the tiles, starting at post #8
post #6 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 11:57 AM
Senior Shackster

Ted White

Quote:
dradius wrote: View Post
The guys in the forum were saying drop ceilings are better with sound vs. drywall.
Likely the discussion was with respect to in-room absorption and echo rather than sound isolation.

Making the dropped ceiling heavy enough would require the suspended ceiling system was able to hold 5 lbs a square foot, and it's simply not rated for that. You would have to beef up the wire suspension system considerably.

And it still wouldn't be sealed. It can't be with all of the wires

Ted White

post #7 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 12:00 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Agreed. Drop ceilings and sound isolation just don't go together.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #8 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 12:01 PM
Senior Shackster

dradius

That makes perfect sense Ted. Not to hijack the thread, but like I said I'll have to use a drop ceiling in my new theater. From an isolation perspective, do you think it would make sense (worth the money) to put insulation above the tiles? Thanks
post #9 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 12:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Ted White

I wouldn't go beyond R19. Why can't you consider drywall?

Ted White

post #10 of 18 Old 08-31-09, 12:18 PM
Senior Shackster

dradius

I would do R-19 or nothing at all. There are tons of water lines, pipes, etc. and I don't want to cover it all up with drywall. I'm probably selling the house in 5 years or so, so it isn't my 'forever' theater. Or else I'd go double drywall, gg, etc.