Need comments of plan for Home Theatre - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 10-06-09, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
John Young

Need comments of plan for Home Theatre

I am in the design stages of my home theatre. It will be in my basement, with approximate inside diminsions of 8' tall, 13'-4" wide, and 19' long. Here is a sketch, approximately to scale. Please give me any ideas or point out any layout problems. Also, look in the room accoustics forum, as I would like to ask questions about a suggested accoustic treatment design, but don't want to de-rail this thread.

The couches will be 6' wide, the equipment rack will be 3' tall, so it will be about as tall as a couch. I will be using JBL speakers, about 14"*12"*24" on 2-3' tall stands in a 7.1 surround layout. There is fiberglass floor to ceiling behind each of the speakers. Layout wise, how does it look?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-06-09, 06:20 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System
Re: Need comments of plan for Home Theatre

Basically it looks alright, but you haven't mentioned anything about proposed screen size or projector..also your seating distances..
Do you plan to put any covering on the hardwood floor.?

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-06-09, 08:37 PM
Senior Shackster
Shawn

If I am reading this right, it looks to me as you plan to use waaaaaaayyyyy too much fiberglass. Also, you need to determine exactly were the seats are going, then determine where the subs are going to go. If you can put dimensions on there, that would be beneficial. Also, how do you plan on getting all the cabling from the equipment to the speakers as well as electrical power? Subfloor underneath the hardwood? I wouldn't use hardwood if you can help it. Ironically, I just designed a theater for a client with almost the exact same dimensions. Just a few inches different.

EDIT: Just saw your treatment plan in the other thread. Interesting. I think a bit convoluted for the goals you are aiming for. PM me if you want more info.

Architectual Acoustics & Cinema Designer
HAA Level III/THX Video Certified Calibrator
Audyssey Professional Installer/Technician

Last edited by SierraMikeBravo; 10-06-09 at 08:43 PM.

post #4 of 16 Old 10-06-09, 09:19 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

You will want to pull the front speakers and the rear speakers out of the corners to improve imaging.

@Shawn discussions should be kept to this thread so others can also learn from the information.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 16 Old 10-06-09, 10:43 PM

At a risk of sounding stupid, what is the purpose of the figerglass columns, is it for sound, visual effects?
post #6 of 16 Old 10-07-09, 06:29 AM
Senior Shackster
rickp

Bass traps are manditory, and depending on how good your subs are the more the better. I am assuming thats what your corner traps are. My room is 12'6x20x8'5" with 4 triangle 703 traps and I could use more. But I also have way to much subwoofage in some peoples opinion ie; like my wife.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...n-theater.html
post #7 of 16 Old 10-07-09, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
John Young

I will try to get some better pictures with dimensions up in a day or two.

The viewing distance to the projector will be roughly 7' from the front couch, and 10' from the back one. I was planning on making the screen 7-8' wide, so a roughly 100" diagonal screen.

I hadn't planned on covering any of the hardwood floor, but rugs are always an option. Am I going to need to put rugs to catch reflections, or just to soften up the floor a bit?

The columns in the corners are bass traps, about 16"*16". I thought that putting fiberglass behind the speakers would reduce the need to space them from the wall. The front/rear ones are spaced about 2' from the solid corners, or do I need to space them from the fiberglass.(I know the picture is terrible, I will get a better one soon.)

Do I have too much FG? what % room coverage is FG typically used?
post #8 of 16 Old 10-07-09, 07:19 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
aardvarcus wrote: View Post
The viewing distance to the projector will be roughly 7' from the front couch, and 10' from the back one. I was planning on making the screen 7-8' wide, so a roughly 100" diagonal screen.
That's really a bit close for a 100" screen...even with a 1080p projector..unless you're planning on sitting in the back row?

Quote:
I hadn't planned on covering any of the hardwood floor, but rugs are always an option. Am I going to need to put rugs to catch reflections, or just to soften up the floor a bit?
A large floor rug will help to deaden the room and reduce reflected waves..Normally it's a must on hard floors..

Quote:
The columns in the corners are bass traps, about 16"*16". I thought that putting fiberglass behind the speakers would reduce the need to space them from the wall. The front/rear ones are spaced about 2' from the solid corners, or do I need to space them from the fiberglass.(I know the picture is terrible, I will get a better one soon.)

Do I have too much FG? what % room coverage is FG typically used?
Generally, you can't have enough bass trapping or acoustic panels..
What you show in your plan is not excessive..

Prof..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-08-09, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
John Young

Here are some better pictures of what I am wanting to do.

This shows the layout of couches/screen/equipment with labels on everything.
The actual viewing distance to the screen from the front couch will be about 9'.

This shows the underfloor conduit I will run and the layout of the 7.1 system it will be feeding.

This shows the listening angles of the speakers from the good position.

This is what I am thinking for my equipment rack.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-08-09, 06:02 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Any particular reason for having the subs on the side wall?
Normally they would be either behind a screen wall, or in front of the screen..

Prof..