MrLoofer's Garage HT Build - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 177 Old 05-09-10, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Re: MrLoofer's Garage HT Build

Vent: well it seems like everything has been going wrong since last week. From the A/C being a pain to install and then losing the remote (had to order a new one online -- still isn't here so we're working with no A/C and it's 90deg outside!) to walls getting scratched, paint blistering and various parts of drywall falling off here and there. Very frustrating! For these reasons I'm taking a week off and not even going in the room at all. Seems like everytime I touch something it breaks! Ever had those days? /vent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 177 Old 05-09-10, 09:09 PM
Senior Shackster
the colors

The best thing is to walk away for a bit, let the ideas stew in your head and go back with a purpose and finish. It has been 6years for me thats cause I had to dig out the basement.
post #93 of 177 Old 05-09-10, 09:16 PM
Elite Shackster

mdrake

Quote:
the colors wrote: View Post
The best thing is to walk away for a bit, let the ideas stew in your head and go back with a purpose and finish. It has been 6years for me thats cause I had to dig out the basement.
Ya, I can relate to the home theater construction blues. : )
You guys are getting it done fast even with the set backs
and so far it looks great!

Matt
Posted via Mobile Device

post #94 of 177 Old 05-10-10, 12:54 AM
Senior Shackster
monkeyboy

ugggh. been there. I was in the final throws of my home theater.......

Working till 2am on a "school night". Ok, I'll just tack this screen holder block in place and call it a night.

Time to swap the short nails for the long ones in the nail gun......

Hold block of wood in place (pinching the block and the stud it was getting nailed to with one hand, firing with the other). BLAM! OUCH!!!

There was apparently two long nails left in the very front of the gun (they don't slide out real nice when there is only a few) so they were an inch too long for the application. Shot a nail right into the pad of left middle finger--soo far that it slammed the underside of my finger nail. Man that smarts.. I still have the black mark on my fingernail (its about half grown out) and my theater has been done since Feb.

Could always be worse, A guy I work with is missing a finger from a table saw.
post #95 of 177 Old 05-10-10, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Wow, got the call from Lowes today regarding the carpet - that $97 installation fee they advertise? Try more like $600! Looks like I'm either doing it myself or at least putting in the tack strips so it gets the installation price down a bit. Can't believe how much more the installation fee is. Is carpet installation that pricey for a HT?
post #96 of 177 Old 05-10-10, 09:38 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Quote:
mrloofer wrote: View Post
Vent: well it seems like everything has been going wrong since last week. From the A/C being a pain to install and then losing the remote (had to order a new one online -- still isn't here so we're working with no A/C and it's 90deg outside!) to walls getting scratched, paint blistering and various parts of drywall falling off here and there. Very frustrating! For these reasons I'm taking a week off and not even going in the room at all. Seems like everytime I touch something it breaks! Ever had those days? /vent
Yep just like everyone else we have all been there, it happens. I haven't done my theater room yet but i did gut and remodel (move walls, tear out walls, basically opened up the house) my entire house except for the room that will be my theater. But somtimes it seems in almost every project you take one step forward and two back. Best bet is just walk away for a bit and when you come back you'll be refreshed and respirited then things will just come together. Good luck and you've done an awesome job on the project with what i see is a well deserved break.
post #97 of 177 Old 05-11-10, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Thanks everyone for the kind and motivating words. I took the last few days off and went back in the room this morning to touch up some spackle so I could sand and paint later tonight. To think that because of a few stupid mistakes and rushing it created all this extra work. Oh well! Anyway tonight I at least intend to get the touch ups done and then off to HD tomorrow to get all the trim. Our intentions are to get the trim all done by this weekend. As a reward for my patience I went and picked up a new 7.2ch receiver and some surround speakers yesterday. So all is good!
post #98 of 177 Old 05-12-10, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Thought I'd update with some recent pics (note the red is actually a deep burgundy color and darker than in these pics -- it's called "Red Theatre" by Sherwin Williams, and I LOVE it!):

Entrance way looking into the HT. The plan is to put a poster on each side of the wall and the spot lights will illuminate them. I also have to put another dimmer switch on the wall because these are way too bright when turned on.

Insteon keypad:

Sconces:

Surround speaker (1 of 4):

A/C unit (note still have to touch up where I had to spackle over the scratches made when installing the unit):

Last night I discovered a major issue with the A/C unit, in that the drainage pipe got squished when we ran the pipes through the wall. The water was draining out of the front of the unit and down the wall, which is pretty bad. The problem is there is very little room for maneuver because the pipes have been sealed up so we're going to have to carefully take it off the bracket and jiggle it around until we can seat the drainage pipe correctly.

Will post more pics when trim goes up this weekend.
post #99 of 177 Old 05-12-10, 12:59 PM
Elite Shackster

mdrake

WOW, coming along really nice!!!

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Half of everything I know is wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know which half."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #100 of 177 Old 05-12-10, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Quote:
mdrake wrote: View Post
WOW, coming along really nice!!!

Matt
Thanks Matt! Things are slowly starting to take shape. I wish the carpet was in though as that'll be a huge transformation. Speaking of which I was shocked to learn from Lowes that they say I need 372 sq/ft of carpet for a 202 sq/ft room! I can understand the back riser and stage need a bit of cutting here and there but a 170sq/ft. difference!