MrLoofer's Garage HT Build - Page 13 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #121 of 177 Old 05-20-10, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Re: MrLoofer's Garage HT Build

Ok guys, let's talk about acoustic treatments. I walked into my local HVAC supplier and they had some mineral wool panels sitting around. They are 24" x 48" and 2" thick. Can I use these as acoustic panels in front of and behind my speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 177 Old 05-20-10, 10:59 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

They'll probably work just fine in that position. Do you know what the density is on them?

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #123 of 177 Old 05-20-10, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Hi Bryan. 2.5pcf? This is what it says on the specs:

Last edited by mrloofer; 05-20-10 at 11:12 AM.

post #124 of 177 Old 05-20-10, 11:25 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

That should be fine on the front wall.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #125 of 177 Old 05-20-10, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Thanks Bryan. I'm sure I'll be posting more questions when the time comes to install the panels.

Ok, onto seating. I'm deliberating over putting a row of 4 seats in the front or keep to just 3. 3 seats means I can center the row more with the screen whereas 4 puts the 4th right up against the wall (either way the 1st 3 seats will still be centered). There is room in the back for one seat as planned. So basically it's either a 5 seat total and occasionally some unlucky soul getting the one on the wall, or it's 4 total and someone always has to sit in the back. Note this is based on my family of 4 but I'm thinking if kids have friends over etc. the more seats the better. Acoustically that 4th seat will be the worst so should I even bother with it? What would you do, sacrifice max occupancy for acoustic reasons or vice versa?
post #126 of 177 Old 05-20-10, 03:34 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

No way to do 3 in the front and 2 in the rear? That would give you the 5 seats and keep everything pretty centered - rear row viewing between the seats in the front row, etc.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #127 of 177 Old 05-21-10, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Not sure, don't think so. Note there is a desk going in the back of the room and that eats the inches. I would love to put a full row of seats back there but the deal with the missus on getting this built was that I move my computers in there. So with the desk I have I can only fit one chair back there, which kinda sucks really. Maybe I need a smaller desk!

Apart from that things are now moving full steam ahead as I got the call from the carpet installers and now they are here! And I also now have my chairs so who knows, maybe I'll get this all connected up tonight! Pics to follow soon!
post #128 of 177 Old 05-27-10, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Just a quick update. The carpet is in, the screen is up, the chairs are in, the columns are done, the speakers are wired in. And we've watched about 5 or so movies the past few days. And it's awesome! In the end I went with 5 chairs and it works almost perfect if it weren't for the fact the person at the back doesn't get a full recline, but the times I've been in here by myself that's my favorite chair since it's a perfect distance from the screen.

All I have left now is acoustics, cover up of the panel on the wall (see pic below) and various paint touch ups. So I reckon it'll all be done over this long weekend, after which I'll take some better pics. Until then here's just a couple..

I also bought the Inteson PLM (Power Line Modem) and got all my scenes programmed as well as hooking up to my XBMC player, which is totally awesome. By using some 3rd party Insteon unix tools I was able to program it so that when I turn on XBMC it automatically dims the screen lights then when the movie starts the lights dim and when I pause or stop the movie the lights come up. I was able to do all this without the need of purchasing their IRLinc system (which saved me another $99). It works great and everyone loves it! I'll post a video of it in action soon..

Last edited by mrloofer; 05-27-10 at 09:03 PM.
post #129 of 177 Old 05-27-10, 11:50 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Looks like the theater turned out awesome!
post #130 of 177 Old 05-28-10, 12:01 AM
Elite Shackster

mdrake

WOW nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking really good. The colors really work well together!

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Half of everything I know is wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know which half."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.