MrLoofer's Garage HT Build - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 177 Old 04-09-10, 07:28 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape
Re: MrLoofer's Garage HT Build

Have a 'vent panel' at the bottom of the rack and another at the top. These are nothing more than simple plates with slots cut into them. Use a couple of low speed, low noise computer fans up top to push air out of the top plate and the natrural draw from the bottom and convection will take care of the rest.

Make sure that there is a reasonable amount of space behind the equipment to allow good air flow vertically.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 177 Old 04-09-10, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Hey Bryan - can you tell me where the vent panel would go on top/bottom? Would they go horizontal or vertical, like on the side right wall where it meets the cavity?

Cheers.
post #13 of 177 Old 04-09-10, 08:15 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Think of having a rack mount type of system. The very bottom plate across the bottom horizontally and the very top plate horizontally would just be slotted panels. They'll only need to be maybe 2U-3U high each most likely.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions

post #14 of 177 Old 04-09-10, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Thanks Bryan, that helped a lot.

Today was spent either at Lowes or discussing electrical with the electrician, so not much really achieved. We did however test out the Insteon dimmers and keypad, which was kinda cool. Tomorrow we hope to get some wiring done and A/C will now be installed Sunday.. hopefully.

Our target goal to complete the HT is April 22nd which is when Avatar on Blu Ray is released as I'm dying to see it in Blu Ray at home. Even though it's not 3D it should still be a pretty good demo disc and one to premier the HT with.
post #15 of 177 Old 04-10-10, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Hey guys -

I'm about to start wiring today and just wanted to check a couple of things first. I know that it's no problem running speaker wire (for passive speakers) and electrical in the same stud hole but what about the subwoofer cable? My existing sub has both low level inputs (RCA) and high level inputs (speaker wire) so I plan on running both just in case a future amp purchase does not have a dedicated subwoofer output (I'm assuming most do). For the RCA type I plan on running cat 5/6 rather than a really long RCA cable. To confirm this should NOT be run near the electrical cable, correct?

Cheers.
post #16 of 177 Old 04-10-10, 08:09 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

The sub cable is low level and should be kept away from electrical lines. In general, I'm not sure where ANY local code will allow more than 1 wire per hole - much less a mix of 110V and non-110V

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #17 of 177 Old 04-12-10, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Thanks Bryan. We ended up running the cables seperate to be sure. I opted for a 25' RCA cable for the sub woofer and this won't get installed until tomorrow or Wed due to delivery. Hopefully we'll be drywalling later that day. My plasterer is due to come Thursday so hopefully we'll stay on schedule. Over the weekend we got nearly all the electrical done and the only thing remaining is the power for the PJ.

I am trying to visualize a color scheme for the room and right now am leaning towards black ceiling, dark blue walls (almost the color of the HTS forums background page actually!) with either greyish or black trim and a very dark carpet. I have to remind myself I need to work in this room too so have to be careful picking colors that will make for a good work environment. Any tips/suggestions on this most welcome.

Cheers.
post #18 of 177 Old 04-12-10, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Made a fair bit of progress today. We got all electrical completed including the Insteon system. The bank of 3 Insteon dimmers were a pain to fit into the 3-gang box but we got there in the end. Tomorrow we hope to get the A/C installed which means fixing the compressor to the concrete slab behind my house and running the copper pipe to the inside unit. Apart from that drywall is Wednesday - can't wait to get to that stage!

Temporary black plate on the keypad, I have a nice brushed metal one for the final install.

post #19 of 177 Old 04-14-10, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

So I seem to have hit a brick wall with the Insteon devices and the way I have wired them. I have a Keypadlinc controller and 5 dimmer switches in the following configuration:

Keypadlinc - main load for sconces.
Dimmer 1 - Light in entrance.
Dimmer 2 - Rope light.
Dimmer 3 - Screen lights.
Dimmer 4 - Track lights.
Dimmer 5 - Riser lights.

The issue seems to be that you can't dim the main load (Main on the Insteon Keypad) from another scene, without that is purchasing the additional Powerlinc module so as to program via software. In other words, you can't tap-link the switches to control the main source (sconces). Since the sconces are used in every scene and at different levels I now have to move the load to the sconces onto either another dimmer or join two of the other lights to free up a dimmer switch. Alternatively I may have to move the entrance light onto a standard switch outside the Insteon network in order to free up a dimmer that way. Confused? I am! I think I've made this way too complicated than it needs to be!
post #20 of 177 Old 04-14-10, 10:37 AM
Elite Shackster

mdrake

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for rack ventilation? We're going to be building a complete enclosure that will be recessed into the 2nd half of the garage but we're not planning on putting any access door on the back.
I really think you will appreciate having access to the rack from the rear.

Great job so far!! This is a blast to watch someone else do all the work!!

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Half of everything I know is wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know which half."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.