MrLoofer's Garage HT Build - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 177 Old 04-16-10, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Re: MrLoofer's Garage HT Build

My buddy and I took the day off yesterday to recharge our brains after frying them with electric and lighting wiring all week. The electrical work took way longer than we expected, mostly due to wiring the Insteon system and moving lights around. We had to move the light that was in the middle of the garage to the other side of the garage, install lights in the riser and after everything was done and because of the Insteon issue with running the sconces off the main load on the keypad and the fact that you can't really control that load properly from other scenes, we had to re-think the lighting and re-wire accordingly. It set us back a good day or so.

Today though we picked up the drywall and insulation and off loaded the sheets into the garage I apologize for the bad pictures but we've been working with the doors closed so as to not attract attention to ourselves by our nosy neighbors.

I have a feeling we've ordered way to much drywall. We had about 44 5/8 sheets and 9 1/2 sheets (for the other side of the garage).

I also grossly underestimated the budget on insulation. If I went with 16" studs we could have got away with 4 bags of R13 which was reduced to $20/bag, but because I went with 24" studs each bag cost me $60 instead!

So apart from picking up the drywall we managed to get all the little jobs done such as completing the entrance, moving lights etc. We also installed duct seal around each of the outlets for extra sound proofing.

Taking the weekend off and on Monday we'll be insulating and then dry walling Tues/Wed (hopefully). Once we get past that stage it'll start looking like a real room. Can't wait...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 177 Old 04-16-10, 09:55 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Nosey neighbors huh? I've got a few of them. There great!
post #33 of 177 Old 04-18-10, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Yeah they're pretty nosy in these parts!

So I know paint is at least a week away but I've been researching various color schemes, trying to decide what I like and what will work in the room. I came across this youtube video of a HT with a two-tone neutral paint job and I fell in love with these two:

The only thing is I wouldn't mind a bit of color so wondering if this would work a dark blue, or maybe even burgundy. What do you think?

The other thing is I really would like to put a rope light in some crown molding around the ceiling perimeter (I have it all wired via Insteon) but am afraid that a flat black ceiling will give a less than desirable light spill on the ceiling. Is it THAT bad with rope lights and black ceilings? Should I go with something like the ceiling in the last youtube video?

Your thoughts appreciated!

Last edited by mrloofer; 04-18-10 at 04:54 PM.

post #34 of 177 Old 04-18-10, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Just getting some quotes on mudding & taping after drywall is complete. First quote was $600 for two guys for two days work. Is this reasonable? I am getting more quotes in the week but have no idea if that's good or not?
post #35 of 177 Old 04-18-10, 06:07 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

2 guys, 32 hours total - <$20 per hour if my math is right. Don't know about where you are but that's not bad here. Could do better but could do a LOT worse.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #36 of 177 Old 04-18-10, 06:46 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Quote:
mrloofer wrote: View Post
Just getting some quotes on mudding & taping after drywall is complete. First quote was $600 for two guys for two days work. Is this reasonable? I am getting more quotes in the week but have no idea if that's good or not?
I'd say not too bad if they are mudding tapeing and sanding and leaving the painting up to you, Thats not bad at all espespecially the sanding part thats such a yucky job ( i've been there) plus they probly have the tools to keep it less messy and dusty. But getting done in two days that seems pretty quick to me as i had to let each coat dry for 2 days before sanding inbetween coats of mud but then again they probly know what they are doing as i had no idea i just gave it a shot.
post #37 of 177 Old 04-19-10, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Does it really take two full days to mud and tape? I would expect them to come in do a coat then come back and sand, but two FULL days seemed a little much (especially when the contractor told me he would use quick mud!).

As an update the insulation is up, the riser is complete and stuffed with pink stuff. Tomorrow we drywall!
post #38 of 177 Old 04-19-10, 06:43 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

To do it right, they'll usually do 3 coats with varying width knives.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #39 of 177 Old 04-19-10, 07:56 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
To do it right, they'll usually do 3 coats with varying width knives.

Bryan
Bryan is right. to do it right there usally needs to be at least three coats spreading the mud wider as they go with different widths of kives and helping to feather it in so you end up with a smooth surface. I'd check with the guys doing the job to find out what there game plan is
post #40 of 177 Old 04-19-10, 09:48 PM
Senior Shackster
the colors

Well I can tell you due to just finishing my third coat of spackle, 1st 6" knife then 8" knife then finally 10" knife. Also you can let it dry as long as you want between coatings it will set up better another trick is put a fan in the room to set it quicker just make sure you dont lay the spackle to thick or it will crack when drying. Good luck and my arms are beat!