MrLoofer's Garage HT Build - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 177 Old 04-23-10, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Re: MrLoofer's Garage HT Build

Quick progress update:

Drywall is taking a lot longer than expected due to the double layers and green glue. We should hopefully get all walls completed Monday afternoon. The plasterers are due in Monday night to start mudding and taping.

Entrance way:

When the mudders have been and gone I'll take some higher res pics with my Canon 5D Mk2 DSLR and post them here.

I decided to go with a fixed 110" Elite screen instead of trying to convert my 106" retractable. Eventually I'll upgrade to a nice Carada or something but for now the Elite will do until then. We will be building out the screen and speaker columns hopefully on Tuesday and then will start painting later in the week. Still have to choose my color scheme though but right now I'm leaning towards a nice burgundy or blue with black trim..

Cheers.

Last edited by mrloofer; 04-23-10 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 177 Old 04-23-10, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

I need to start thinking about my screen and speaker columns and ordering some GOM. Questions:

1. Are there any other providers other than fabricmate.com?

2. Columns are going to be 6'(h) x 18"(w) which will house my speakers. I'm putting GOM on the entire fronts and so need to build a panel covered in GOM and attach using either magnets or grill guides. Any tips on doing this, not quite sure where to start..

Anything else I need to consider?

Edit: For reference this is the design I am replicating (this is Rob's HT over on AVS forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=897055):

Cheers.

Last edited by mrloofer; 04-23-10 at 04:03 PM.
post #53 of 177 Old 04-23-10, 03:40 PM
Elite Shackster

mdrake

Nice work You are really moving along on this project!!

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Half of everything I know is wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know which half."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #54 of 177 Old 04-23-10, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Quote:
mdrake wrote: View Post
Nice work You are really moving along on this project!!

Matt
Thanks Matt. This is end of week 3 (well tomorrow will be) so yeah not too bad. Once drywall is up that's the worst of it I think. Our plan is to get mudding, A/C, screen wall and paint next week. After that carpet and acoustic treatments. So I think we have at least two more weeks left. I haven't even thought about chairs yet! My first row is only 9' 6" wide and I'd like to put some kind of 4 seat configuration in there if I could. Any suggestions?
post #55 of 177 Old 04-23-10, 06:54 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
mrloofer wrote: View Post
I need to start thinking about my screen and speaker columns and ordering some GOM. Questions:

1. Are there any other providers other than fabricmate.com?

2. Columns are going to be 6'(h) x 18"(w) which will house my speakers. I'm putting GOM on the entire fronts and so need to build a panel covered in GOM and attach using either magnets or grill guides. Any tips on doing this, not quite sure where to start..

Anything else I need to consider?

Edit: For reference this is the design I am replicating (this is Rob's HT over on AVS forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=897055):

Cheers.
I'm afraid that is not a good design layout..for several reasons..

Enclosing speakers in columns like that with solid sides is going to present all sorts of problems..
For one, they are too close to the side walls, and they're fitted in a cavity..which will cause all sorts of resonances..
Also,there doesn't even seem to be enough room to angle the speakers..

If this is exactly what you plan on doing..particularly in reference to the speakers being so close to the side walls and in a solid enclosure, then I can only advise you to change your design..

To have columns at the side of the screen like that, the screen will need to be smaller and the columns wider, so you can move your speakers away from the side walls..
The other thing is the columns should not have solid sides, but be constructed as a frame with the GOM covering all sides..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #56 of 177 Old 04-23-10, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Hey Prof - the columns in the image above are, I believe, only 12" wide. I planned on having 18-20" columns which would allow me to move my speakers closer to the screen and also allow to angle them (my speakers are about 8" wide so that gives me 10-12" gap between the outer walls. Also in the sample image the owner drywalled the inside of each column and I was thinking GOM on both sides instead of just the front, but had not set this in stone. I was unsure what effect having GOM on both sides would have, although I sense better than drywall, but would this be needed if I was able to get away with a 10-12" gap from the wall?

Considering the above do you think it will be okay?
post #57 of 177 Old 04-23-10, 09:05 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Looks like it's gonna be a pretty nice theater i'm getting great ideas from your build. Can't wait untill i finally have the chance turn my room into a theater rather then just a room with a screen and speakers. Great job!
post #58 of 177 Old 04-23-10, 10:32 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
mrloofer wrote: View Post
Hey Prof - the columns in the image above are, I believe, only 12" wide. I planned on having 18-20" columns which would allow me to move my speakers closer to the screen and also allow to angle them (my speakers are about 8" wide so that gives me 10-12" gap between the outer walls. Also in the sample image the owner drywalled the inside of each column and I was thinking GOM on both sides instead of just the front, but had not set this in stone. I was unsure what effect having GOM on both sides would have, although I sense better than drywall, but would this be needed if I was able to get away with a 10-12" gap from the wall?

Considering the above do you think it will be okay?
That's better but still not ideal..The recognized space between speakers and side walls is about 2' minimum..
I would definitely have GOM on all three sides of the column..unless the columns are going to be right up against the side walls, in which case there's not much point of having GOM on the wall side..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #59 of 177 Old 04-24-10, 06:18 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

In addition, the hard sides are forming a cavity which will have a ton of resonances of it's own. If you can do it so it's more open, that would work much better - maybe just a frame with a shelf?

PM me on the GOM.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #60 of 177 Old 04-24-10, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mrloofer

Thanks guys. Is there perhaps some treatments I can put around the speakers to help limit any resonance there? I really want to go with this design and don't want my speakers in the open or free standing.