Pimp My Garage - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 213 Old 03-07-11, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System
Re: Pimp My Garage

With the lights on you can tell the difference; with the lights off, don't think so (at least with no PJ yet). Dark colors are hard to capture for me though, as far as digital photos and seeing on the PC what it looks like in person.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XBox Live ID: Atomic Hamper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 213 Old 03-07-11, 07:00 PM
Senior Shackster

Gregavi

Quote:
fitzwaddle wrote: View Post
I started with a Harbor Freight combo brad nailer / narrow crown (1/4") stapler that I borrowed from my neighbor, but after about 6' of soffit, it started jamming, and then lost pressure, couldn't figure out how to fix it. Looks like I owe him a new one.
Let this be a lesson to everyone. Never buy or borrow a tool from H***** F******. If you buy one, it will break before you finish the job. If you borrow one, you will most likely buy a new one for the borrowee. I'm a General Contractor and every tool we've ever used from HF has broken. China [email protected] Porter Cable was a solid choice.

Denon AVR 4311ci System Controller
Earthquake Cinenova® 5 Channel Power Amp (300 Watts X 5)
Panasonic PT-AE4000U FP
DirecTV Genie HR34 DVR
Samsung BD-C6900 Blu Ray Player
Klipsch La Scala & Tannoy Dual Concentric (Main) Klipsch Heresy (Center)
Snell OHT7 (Wide, Side and Rear)
Earthquake Supernova® MKV12 & Revel B15A Subwoofers
Popcorn Hour Media Server; Squeezebox Music Server
post #93 of 213 Old 03-07-11, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Hehe yeah, I learned my lesson a while ago with them - bought a drill press from them to save money - well, it still works, but the collar on the adjustable table is cracked, so it won't hold steady against any significant pressure, and the switch is permanently stuck "on", so to turn it off, I have to unplug it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #94 of 213 Old 03-07-11, 08:26 PM
Senior Shackster

Gregavi

Quote:
fitzwaddle wrote: View Post
Hehe yeah, I learned my lesson a while ago with them - bought a drill press from them to save money - well, it still works, but the collar on the adjustable table is cracked, so it won't hold steady against any significant pressure, and the switch is permanently stuck "on", so to turn it off, I have to unplug it.
You will not save money with them (unless you are going to use the tool once or twice) in the long run. Some of their hand tools are decent, but their power/pneumatic tools are junk. Stick with Bosch, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt, etc.

Denon AVR 4311ci System Controller
Earthquake Cinenova® 5 Channel Power Amp (300 Watts X 5)
Panasonic PT-AE4000U FP
DirecTV Genie HR34 DVR
Samsung BD-C6900 Blu Ray Player
Klipsch La Scala & Tannoy Dual Concentric (Main) Klipsch Heresy (Center)
Snell OHT7 (Wide, Side and Rear)
Earthquake Supernova® MKV12 & Revel B15A Subwoofers
Popcorn Hour Media Server; Squeezebox Music Server
post #95 of 213 Old 03-11-11, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Pics! Here's a few pics of the soffit as of night before last - still a couple places where I need to trim and tuck and such, but its getting close. The uneven shadows in the rope light are because there is still some fabric sticking up on the inside of the tray that I either need to trim off with a utility knife or glue down or both. I wonder if a glue stick would work, or maybe just a bead of white glue - don't want to do the contact cement back there, would be hard to work inside the tray.

I added the eyeball trims on the screen lights last night, but didn't shoot a picture of it.

post #96 of 213 Old 03-11-11, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System
upholstery time

Last night I had precut some of the vinyl I'm putting on the column sides, and couldn't wait to try it out - so I had at it on my lunch break, managed to get the sides of two of the columns done - the stapling for these sure goes quicker than the soffit, much easier to handle:

I stapled on the first side before I started taking any pics of the process:

From the start - cut a panel a bit oversize to allow for wrapping/stapling:

stapled the inside edge:

flipped it over and started pulling the material tight and stapling:

done stapling all around:

trimmed off excess, and used xacto knife to cut holes where the mounting screws on the sides go:

right side column done and test fitted:

left side column done and test fitted:

Not screwed down yet, because (a) they will need to be out of the way when the carpet is installed, and (b) I need to cut an inch or so off the bottoms to clear the carpet / pad. Shouldn't be too bad, add a piece of bracing a little higher, cut away the vinyl with xacto knife, and then saw off the bottom. Trim will be covering top and bottom.

Will also need to sand the face panels some, as I didn't leave quite enough clearance for the vinyl and speaker fabric in the nooks.

Fun!

post #97 of 213 Old 03-11-11, 05:15 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

I must have missed that..What type of vinyl did you use?
It looks to have come up a treat! Is this an alternative to staining?

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #98 of 213 Old 03-11-11, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
I must have missed that..What type of vinyl did you use?
It looks to have come up a treat! Is this an alternative to staining?
Its Amarillo Deadwood faux leather vinyl, from www.allvinylfabrics.com. I'm quite happy with how its coming out. Yeah, sort of an alternative to staining - I stick-built the columns, but still wanted a sort of rich wood look, hence the shade of vinyl and a little pattern to it. Should allow me to stuff the columns and get more bass trapping.

post #99 of 213 Old 03-11-11, 05:58 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Ah yes.. I see it's an upholstery vinyl..That's a natty idea..
I've never thought of using that sort of vinyl as an alternative to paint or stain!
Looking at my local supplier, there's a huge range of colours and patterns..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #100 of 213 Old 03-13-11, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System
more column upholstery, fabric behind screen

Finished up the rest of the column sides on Saturday - here are the front and side columns, with the face frames in place (spent a couple hours today belt sanding the edges to make them fit after the vinyl was added):

rear corner columns:

all of the right side columns:

Saturday afternoon, I got the black speaker fabric up over the OC 703 behind the screen wall - the speaker cloth is 102" width, so no seam, covers top to bottom (well except the part on the lower left where I accidentally ripped the fabric, and had to put a patch over it - oh well, its behind the screen wall, so I didn't care enough to do a pretty fix). Looks a bit smudgy, I need to go over it with a lint roller I picked up at Staples:

The LCRs sit on Rubbermaid adjustable shelving - the shelf support rails are attached to vertical 2x4s laid flat, with channels routed in them - allowed me to attach the fabric to the 2x4s after I cut out to expose the rails - edges of the fabric are glued to the inside of the channel with contact cement.

Closeup of channels that the adjustable shelf supports sit in (may need to touch the gold screw heads with a sharpie):

And I received the recessed fixture socket extensions I ordered, so I put the eyeball trims in:

Next step will be to paint the column face frames black, then cover them with speaker fabric. Oh, and take care of some cleanup on the soffit fabric, trim etc.