post #11 of 213 Old 08-30-10, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System
Re: Pimp My Garage

Quote:
Stele wrote: View Post
Nice Brad, very nice.

What do you have planned for the room treatments and placement of the surrounds and subs?
Thanks! Surrounds will be inside columns on the sides and in the rear near the corners. Subwoofer (THT LP planned) will be behind the false wall, either firing toward one of the side corners, or firing up to the ceiling.

Room treatments, here's my tentative plan: linacoustic on the entire front wall; superchunk traps in the front wall corners; superchunk traps buried inside rear corner speaker columns (except for the middle piece where the rear surrounds will be); pink faced fiberglass inside the soffit for more bass trapping; fabric covered 1" fiberglass panels (OC 703 or whatever similar I can find at a good price locally) either up to and slightly above ear level on the side walls and back wall, or just at reflection points, depending on what my measurements (RT60) show once I've got the carpet, furniture, bass traps, soffit traps in.

Quote:
Have you plugged the room dimensions into a mode calculator yet to possible ID potential problems before you start testing/cal?
I created a spreadsheet with "good" room ratios from various publications I could find (Everest book I think? it was a while ago), and ended up fairly close to one of the favorable ratios. Just plugged my room dimensions into Bob Gold's calculator, got a few yellows down low, and green otherwise, so I think I'm in not too bad shape.

Quote:
What kind of wall is it in between the HT and garage? Not that it will matter that much for sound leakage (unless you have someone living in your garage!) just that it will be acoustically different from the opposite wall (which means the calculators will be slightly out).
The wall was supposed to be a double wall, but the contractor got cute and used 2x8 framing instead of double 2x4, thinking it would be the same thing - I got a little moo, but got over it, and asked him to DD/GG that wall as compensation for his screw up, which he did. The closet door is there though, so not sure that the extra mass/damping will do much of anything (nor would the double wall actually) unless I seriously beef up the door (its a Safe N Sound door). And of course having the door there will also present some challenges vis symmetry and room treatments.

Quote:
I bet your already thinking of what the first movie will be!
Not really yet - too much in front of me still! Although after framing in my screen wall yesterday, I sat and looked at it and caught myself mouthing explosion sounds, visualizing some sort of fantasy / epic / whatever film.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XBox Live ID: Atomic Hamper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 213 Old 09-06-10, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

A bit of progress the last couple weeks, not as much as I would have liked to have accomplished, but still progress.

Framed screen wall. No screen yet. The opening is the approximate size of the planned screen, but may have to mount it a little higher than that, in order to keep the PJ ceiling mount from hanging down too low, since I want to due the poor man's CIH, which means the lens can be no lower than the top of the screen. Current eye height is at 1/3 of screen height, so moving it up would be a bit of a compromise, grumble.

Added the curved front of the soffit to match the curve of the stage. The whole soffit was a bit of an afterthought, so I had to relocate the screen lights down into the soffit. Getting that thing up onto the ceiling was a bear with no help, but I managed to figure out a way to do it.

Close up of one of the "old" screen light holes that I plugged.

View of the bracing I created to support the front edge of the soffit.

Added two layers of 1x2s for stage lip, will route a curve on the top edge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #13 of 213 Old 09-16-10, 07:30 AM
Shackster

Looks fantastic! Love the curves and looking forward to following the progress.

post #14 of 213 Old 09-16-10, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Thanks Davey! I'm looking forward to some progress too, unfortunately, I'm going pretty slow - mix of indecision, research on the fly, not much time during the week, etc.

post #15 of 213 Old 09-16-10, 06:22 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Nice job on the construction so far..
Looks like it will be a nice size room..I'll be interested to see your progress..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #16 of 213 Old 09-17-10, 07:59 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Looks great. I have a garage that is basically used for storage/junk also. I wonder what the wife would think about me doing something like that. I think if I show her your setup she might go for it. I look forward to more pics...
post #17 of 213 Old 09-17-10, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Thanks tc - fortunately, I had the benefit of having a 4 car garage, so converting 1/2 still left me with a 2 car garage - not sure if I would have been able to get a permit otherwise, although that may have been a local ordinance. Hope to see a build thread from you soon!

post #18 of 213 Old 09-17-10, 06:40 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Good looking (future) theater, it looks like the real deal i love the front riser and am looking forward to it takeing shape. Great job!
post #19 of 213 Old 09-20-10, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Thanks bambino!

post #20 of 213 Old 10-13-10, 07:48 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Looking like a great plan Brad, and you are off to a very good start too. I just had a thought when I saw you were thinking about changing your speakers... what about building some DIY speakers into the columns? It's probably another complicated project on top of everything else you're doing, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

- OJ -