post #31 of 213 Old 11-22-10, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System
Re: Pimp My Garage

Quote:
raZorTT wrote: View Post
Hey Brad,

Great thread so far! you are right it looks like we are in almost identical posistions

I've subscribed to your thread so I can hopefully keep up!

Cheers,
Simon

P.S. I love the rack
Thanks Simon - I'm subbed to yours as well, and will be following along, there's always room to see something someone else just did and add another change order.

For example, I didn't originally plan on having a soffit, but after seeing several other builds, I decided to bite the bullet and add one, just to give a little visual appeal that seemed missing. Shot about two months on it as a result.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XBox Live ID: Atomic Hamper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 213 Old 12-03-10, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Here's a picture of the painted ceiling - also used the same paint to cover the soffit wood and the screen wall framing, so no wood will show through the fabric once covered. The color is Behr "Espresso Beans" - the darkest shade of brown that I could find, looks near black in the picture (and with the lights off, yay).

Rope light with the lights off.

I had been planning on just building a cheap rack to save some money - but I read someone else's thread mentioning they got a good deal on craigslist, so I checked, and whaddya know, there was one waiting for me - $180 for a 37U Slim 5 with casters, 3 2U shelves, 8 1U vent panels, and 9 horizontal lacing bars. It was part of a huge pile of gear pulled from a mansion in Chatsworth that was being sold by an NFL player who was moving - an estimated $500K I was told, 6 racks total, saw a stack of Anthem amps and a Titan projector among the pile.

The rack is total overkill as far as what I really needed - but hey, sure has plenty of room for expansion. =) My plan is to house both my A/V gear and music gear in the single rack.

Still debating whether to just roll it into the closet, or cut a hole to poke the face into the room. The latter would make for easier access both front and back - back, since the closet is only 27" wide, rack is 19" - 8" isn't even enough to be able to rotate the rack to access the wiring. If I poked the hole, I'll have to figure out how to reroute electrical - the rack would stick through the framing shown here - note the romex running horizontally that I would have to relocate - move it above the rack and add a junction box I guess? Would the junction box need to be accessible?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #33 of 213 Old 12-03-10, 09:44 PM
Senior Shackster

raZorTT

Quote:
fitzwaddle wrote: View Post
For example, I didn't originally plan on having a soffit, but after seeing several other builds, I decided to bite the bullet and add one, just to give a little visual appeal that seemed missing. Shot about two months on it as a result.
Good decision the end result looks fantastic! I would have loved to have done a nice curve like that at the front.

Great work with the painted ceiling! How many coats did you end up giving it?

The rack looks great as well. Did the $180 include shipping?
I'm partial to being able to access the front and back of the rack so that would be my vote . If you don't want to do that, can you put the rack on one of those bases that then lets you pull it forward and spin it? I think sandman had something like that for his rack?

Cheers,
Simon

post #34 of 213 Old 12-03-10, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Quote:
Good decision the end result looks fantastic! I would have loved to have done a nice curve like that at the front.

Great work with the painted ceiling! How many coats did you end up giving it?
Thanks for the support Simon! I did one coat of tinted primer, 2 coats of the paint that I ended up not happy with (Valspar), and then one coat of the paint I was happy with (Behr). So one primer, three color coats.

Quote:
The rack looks great as well. Did the $180 include shipping?
It was local and "cash only", so no shipping, no tax.

Quote:
I'm partial to being able to access the front and back of the rack so that would be my vote . If you don't want to do that, can you put the rack on one of those bases that then lets you pull it forward and spin it? I think sandman had something like that for his rack?
Yeah something like that - maybe it was a slide out I don't recall. Trouble is the corner to corner dimension of teh rack is 27 1/4", which is exactly the width of the closet - so not practical to be able to rotate it to access the back. And if I put it in a slide, it would need to slide several feet to the doorway to be able to rotate it. The other option would be to create an access door at the back (there is an open closet on the garage side) - but would have to relocate a bunch of stuff, so not attractive.

I think I'm talking myself into the "poke a hole" option. Just need to figure out what I need to do to satisfy code when extending/rerouting that Romex run that's in the way. Maybe tomorrow I'll just start cutting a hole so there will be no turning back - I've been waffling on this far too long.

post #35 of 213 Old 12-03-10, 11:21 PM
Senior Shackster

raZorTT

Quote:
fitzwaddle wrote: View Post
Thanks for the support Simon! I did one coat of tinted primer, 2 coats of the paint that I ended up not happy with (Valspar), and then one coat of the paint I was happy with (Behr). So one primer, three color coats.

It was local and "cash only", so no shipping, no tax.

Yeah something like that - maybe it was a slide out I don't recall. Trouble is the corner to corner dimension of teh rack is 27 1/4", which is exactly the width of the closet - so not practical to be able to rotate it to access the back. And if I put it in a slide, it would need to slide several feet to the doorway to be able to rotate it. The other option would be to create an access door at the back (there is an open closet on the garage side) - but would have to relocate a bunch of stuff, so not attractive.

I think I'm talking myself into the "poke a hole" option. Just need to figure out what I need to do to satisfy code when extending/rerouting that Romex run that's in the way. Maybe tomorrow I'll just start cutting a hole so there will be no turning back - I've been waffling on this far too long.
Nice work, the tinted undercoats make a huge difference to the end result

Go with you gut Hopefully you won't need access to the junction boxes. They'll be inside the wall anyway won't they?

Simon

post #36 of 213 Old 12-03-10, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Quote:
Hopefully you won't need access to the junction boxes. They'll be inside the wall anyway won't they?
No, I won't need access - just wondering if the building inspector will balk at it - I fear my inspector.

post #37 of 213 Old 01-25-11, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

I decided to keep the equipment fully enclosed in the closet - the way I got off the wall was by finding a nice deal on an MA Slim5 on craigslist - $180 for 37U rack, with 3 2U shelves, casters, lacing bars, and 1U vented spacers. Shame to waste the nice casters, so I will just roll it into the HT closet. Because the closet is pretty narrow, I'll need to disconnect the rack and roll it out to do anything major or rack wiring - I can live with that - I think.

Also bought a Hot Link XL IR-over-cat5 extender, haven't installed it yet though.

Catching up with some pics:

Mini Coopers, even Clubmans, are not optimal insulation transport vehicles - not an inch to spare in this load:

Inside of the entry doors painted satin black:

Right rear surround column / bass trap - used Roxul AFB, great stuff - cheap and super easy to work with with an electric carving knife. Framing is 2x2s, and 1/2" plywood speaker shelf. I plan on filling the bottom part with more AFB, but need to discuss the outlets buried in there with the building inspector - can I leave them and bury them, or move into the columns, or move outside columns. Same issue with all column locations.

Left surround speaker column:

Right surround column, right rear column:

Right screen wall superchunk:

Screen wall - L/R superchunks, 1" OC 703, Rubbermaid shelving for LCRs (THT will either be upright in the corners, or slide under the LCR shelf on its side:

1.5" OC 703 FRK/FSK in the soffits, covering pink fiberglass filling. Boy sure is shiny, wish me luck not having that show through fabric. May have to paint it or use two layers of cloth, not sure.

Left side of room, showing rear column, side column, and side front (dummy) column.

Right side of the room, showing columns and miscellaneous mess.

Still thinking through color schemes - for the soffit, columns, and wall panels. Going to have an earth tone scheme for sure - the ceiling is very dark brown, the front faces of the columns will be black speaker cloth - so need to decide on soffit, rest of columns, and walls. Some combination of contrasting brown colors, olive greens, or deep wine reds. Any suggestions?? Kinda leaning towards a mid tan for wall panels, black speaker cloth in the middle front of the speakers, maybe deep burgundy accent on the column sides, black on the soffits.

post #38 of 213 Old 01-26-11, 04:01 AM
Elite Shackster

engtaz

My System

Looking Great.

Don't you like how music can make a bad day better.
post #39 of 213 Old 01-26-11, 10:55 AM
Shackster

If you have any other pictures or comments regarding your soffit fabrication, I would love to see/hear them. Very envious of your space. I have a 15x20 room and I thought it was plenty big enough. Would love to have your dimensions.
post #40 of 213 Old 01-26-11, 05:12 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Nice job.. It's all coming together nicely..
My suggestion for your wall colour would be a dark olive/grey green..That would go well with the dark brown ceiling..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!