Pimp My Garage - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 213 Old 02-01-11, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System
Re: Pimp My Garage

Thanks Mark - hopefully will have something to post as far as updates, but not much pic worthy lately - mounted my column frames, built the surround speaker shelves behind them, built frames to attach to two of the column faces.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XBox Live ID: Atomic Hamper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 213 Old 02-06-11, 03:07 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Do you have a table saw for all of your stuff or are you just going old school?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #53 of 213 Old 02-06-11, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Hehe yeah, I'm old school - or maybe just cheap - just have a circular saw and a $20 rip fence I picked up the other day.

post #54 of 213 Old 02-06-11, 09:22 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
fitzwaddle wrote: View Post
Hehe yeah, I'm old school - or maybe just cheap - just have a circular saw and a $20 rip fence I picked up the other day.
Dang. Go get a table saw, used, craigslist, for like 100. I know you got that layin around!

Way easy! I wish I had one...when I get a ranch style house with a larger basement, I'm going all out on 2.0.

post #55 of 213 Old 02-16-11, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

I had the building inspector come by on Monday to check progress (in particular the extra zone of lighting in the soffit that I pulled a supplemental permit for, and subsequently installed) and see what I need to do before I can call for final inspection. Its a different guy than before, apparently they switched up which areas of the city they each cover. Fine by me, this guy seems easier to work with, more patient in explaining things to me as a non-contractor. Had me a little worried at first though:

- soffit lighting: worried about the cans being mounted against a plywood ceiling (soffit bottom), vs. drywall; not sure if they will be allowed, due to CA Title 24 (energy efficiency requirements)
- fabric: specs for FR fabrics need to be reviewed
- closet door: needs to be a 20 minute (fire) door
- outlets buried inside the columns: need to be brought out to the column face or side
- general: need to review load calcs on all electrical

After some research on his end, and mine, and a follow-up phone conversation this morning:

- soffit lighting: I showed him the manufacturer's installation instructions, which explicitly state that mounting against a wood ceiling is OK (other parts can't touch wood, bottom of the can is OK), and he was fine with that part; also said that for whatever reason, I was fine re: the Title 24 concern - he asked if they're on a dimmer, they are, maybe that was part of it, dunno. So I'm good there, whew, I really wasn't looking forward to ripping those all out and replacing with LED equivalents and a transformer.
- fabric: turns out since the fabric in question is inside the room envelope (after the drywall is up), they don't care at all - it doesn't even need to be fire retardant - I'll still get fire retardant fabric though, for my own peace of mind, but won't need to worry whether its FR 701, or ATSM E-84 class A, IFR, PFR, FR, etc.
- closet door: I think he misinterpreted the code on this, I think he was applying the rule for a door between an garage and living space; this is between the HT and the HT closet; the other side of the closet is the garage,
separated by drywall / framing / drywall, which provides the required fire break. After I read the code, and challenged this (in as humble a way as I could), he put me on hold, and either reviewed the code or discussed with a colleague, and came back and said as long as I have 1/2" drywall on the garage side too (I have 5/8" on both sides), I'm fine.
- outlets: they're OK where they are as long as the access panels on the front of the columns are removable (they are), and the outlets are flush to the wall (which is something I need to fix - box extensions were added assuming they would be flush with 1" deep wall panels - need to replace those extensions with shorter mud rings and patch).
- general: he didn't mention the load calcs, maybe he was satisfied since the halogens are on a dimmer? I did verbally go over the load calc for the lighting zone, 10.8 amps for all lights combined.

So I think all I need to do before recalling for final is plug an unused slot in the subpanel and fix those outlets. Not bad! Well, unless he shows up next time and finds something else that he didn't notice last time, which I wouldn't be surprised at.

post #56 of 213 Old 02-16-11, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Took the last couple days off work to get in some real work, HT work that is. I finished building the column face panels for all six columns:

Picture of the grill guides that attach the column face panels:

and almost finished adding furring strips to all the walls:

Here's one of the concealed outlets that I need to redo the mud rings on, to get the flush with the wall:

I'll be building 1" deep wall panels, sitting on top of 1/2" furring strips - loosely based on the GPowers plan, but wide panels (26" high, ~66" wide - although the width varies slightly due to column placement), built from two layers of 1/2" plywood (vs. 1/2" plywood + 1/2" MDF), and probably rounded off edges, vs. angled. Here's a couple in place, no routered edges yet and not mounted yet:

The 3 big panels on each wall section will be removable; the top and bottom pieces will be permanently attached, so I can add baseboard and crown if I decide to.

Tentatively planning on using ball/socket speaker grill guides to attach them, but maybe velcro. Have used the ball/sockets on my column faces, with no problems, but these panels are much larger, so will have to test it out on a panel or two.

Panels will house 1" OC 703 1/2" off the wall - or maybe 1.5" OC 703. But I'll defer adding the insulation until after I have carpet and furniture in, all the panels built, and have done measurements to see how much absorption I need.

I was waffling a little between doing full fabric frames and just painting it, and adding hung panels later on (fabric sticker shock) - but the fabric panel look is something I've wanted since the outset - once I screwed and liquid nailed down a few furring strips, there's no turning back!

Here's my brad nailer:

I figure I'll be working on these panels for about, oh, the next six months.

Edit: added pictures.

Last edited by fitzwaddle; 02-18-11 at 10:11 AM.
post #57 of 213 Old 02-16-11, 04:42 PM
Senior Shackster

raZorTT

Good news about the final!

For the panels, you may find you don't even need the velcro. I have built a couple frames now and friction fit so far has worked great. It works well for me because I have have trim around the soffit, floor and the middle, so there is something there to hold it.

I also have some industrial strength velcro standing by. I'll have to use it on the screen wall to keep the panels in place. The stuff is might impressive! 4 little pieces on the corners around an inch or so in size is plenty.

Once you get a couple of fabric panels up you'll be glad you got over the shock

Cheers,
Simon

post #58 of 213 Old 02-16-11, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Quote:
raZorTT wrote: View Post
Once you get a couple of fabric panels up you'll be glad you got over the shock
Yeah I can't wait to be looking at something other than primed drywall, and bare lumber / plywood. Looking forward to the fabric covering step!

post #59 of 213 Old 02-18-11, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Added some pics a couple posts up.

post #60 of 213 Old 02-18-11, 01:42 PM
Senior Shackster

raZorTT

Nice work! I really love your column design