Re: Pimp My Garage

Looks great. Any more photos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 213 Old 02-23-11, 12:18 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

We KNOW you have a nice camera. Now where are the photos?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #73 of 213 Old 02-23-11, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

LOL, thanks guys, I will post some new pics tonight. Unfortunately, until I get the fabric up on the panels, its not too exciting - the panels follow the lines of the furring strips, so probably doesn't look too different than just the furring unless you look carefully. But, 9 sheets of plywood later, I assure you its there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XBox Live ID: Atomic Hamper

post #74 of 213 Old 02-23-11, 12:29 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
fitzwaddle wrote: View Post
LOL, thanks guys, I will post some new pics tonight. Unfortunately, until I get the fabric up on the panels, its not too exciting - the panels follow the lines of the furring strips, so probably doesn't look too different than just the furring unless you look carefully. But, 9 sheets of plywood later, I assure you its there!
Pictures, Pictures, Pictures.

Then again I'm the guy taking pictures of my step by step building of speaker stands.

post #75 of 213 Old 02-23-11, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

The thought on the columns is to be able to stuff at least parts of them with fiberglass for more bass trapping. How sound of an idea, and how much impact the fabric covering has on it, not 100% sure. At least not as reflective as mdf.

post #76 of 213 Old 02-24-11, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Here are some pictures of the fabric frames as they stand (test fitted, but still need fine tuning on size, routing, and sanding). Note that the panels generally run the full width between columns, but the center braces make them look like smaller panels.

back:

front:

left:

right:

The panel for the Grafik Eye was a little tricky:

Wasn't sure what to do with the entry door frame - decided to mount a sheet (will be covered with black fabric) within the door frame, and flush mount the panels against the edge. If it turns out OK, I'll skip adding trim.

The closet door frame had to be handled a bit differently - I ran the furring (and will run the panels) up to the door frame, and will add an MDF strip to extend the door frame up to the panels.

not done with bottom panels (will add after carpet goes in, so I get the height right - or I guess I can do sooner, and leave it high, since I will need to add baseboard anyway):

A couple color schemes I'm considering - tan scheme, which is my front runner:

rust/red color scheme, which I also like - but I've seen so many red theaters, I think I'd prefer to have something different:

Testing to see if flash shows OC 703 / wood through fabric (Duvetyn) - doesn't appear to:

some GoM samples I'm considering (all are lighter than reality due to flash):

I would love to find a FR fabric GoM alternative in a similar color, but having a hard time coming up with on. Just really not looking forward to shelling out $1000 on fabric.

post #77 of 213 Old 02-24-11, 01:29 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Thumbs up Re: Pimp My Garage

How are you hiding your staples or are you putting up trim strips?

And wow...that is some nice carpentry work. Bravo. I'm impressed!

post #78 of 213 Old 02-24-11, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Quote:
HuskerOmaha wrote: View Post
How are you hiding your staples or are you putting up trim strips?
The column sides will have staples on the back, and on the inside edge, which will be covered by the face frames when installed. The face frames will be stapled on the back of the frame, and then reattached. The soffit will have fabric stapled to the inside edge of the tray, and onto a furring strip at the back edge of the soffit / wall junction - when the top panel is installed, it will hide that strip and staples. The wall panels will all be wrapped first and stapled on the back, then attached. So I think I have them all covered. That said, I may add trim - definitely will need baseboards (will be black) and maybe crown (also black).

All the panels will be wrapped with staples on the back side, and then attached. The panels will hide the staples on the

Quote:
HuskerOmaha wrote: View Post
And wow...that is some nice carpentry work. Bravo. I'm impressed!
Thanks Greg - by far the biggest construction / woodworking project I've ever taken on. Every step of the project seems to be a leap of faith.

Ordered 30 yards of Commando Cloth for the soffit - hope the vendor works out, best price I could find, but the web site experience did give me pause.

post #79 of 213 Old 03-02-11, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

I received a request for some pictures of the panels, so here are a few more showing how I made mine. They aren't perfect by any means - cheap plywood had some voids that caused a little tear out here and there when routing, but hopefully the fabric will cure all defects.

Wall segment chock full of panels (well almost - haven't done the bottom part where it will meet the carpet, since not 100% sure on the height of the carpet and pad). Vertical bracing and shelf is where the column mounts, I took the columns down to prep them for fabric.

Where two of the panels meet up with the rear column - 1/8" space between panels, and between the panels and column sides, to allow for fabric on both. To install the speaker pluggies, I temporarily screwed the panels in place with drywall screws (into furring), then drilled a 1/8" bit through the panel and furring strip. Then removed the panel, and drilled the holes for the ball and socket using those pilot holes, and inserted them. The fabric will of course cover the pilot holes and drywall screw holes.

The same junction, with the panel removed. The staples for the fabric that covers the column sides will be hidden by the edge of the wall panels. You can see here the drywall screws that held the furring strips in place while the liquid nails dried, and the socket for one of the ball and socket guides.

That panel removed, showing the ball part of the grill guides, and the corner lap joints.

Closeup of the lap joint, brad nails, some liquid nails squeeze out, and the ball of the grill guide.

Flip side of the corner - I used a 3/8" roundover - thought about going a little bigger, but router bits aren't cheap, so I decided I like it this way.

Cross brace on the back of the panel - I didn't double up the cross braces to meet the face like I did everywhere else, so as to avoid any possibility of the bump showing through the fabric.

Where the edge of the panels meets the side column. The 2x2 framing of the column slips into this channel - it is held in place by 10 or so long drywall screws through the column sides into the vertical bracing. The screws will be covered by the wall panels.

Commando Cloth is supposed to arrive tomorrow, if FedEx tracking is to be believed - hopefully I can start my adventure in stapling (soffit covering) this weekend!

post #80 of 213 Old 03-02-11, 01:36 PM
Senior Shackster

raZorTT

Quote:
fitzwaddle wrote: View Post
Commando Cloth is supposed to arrive tomorrow, if FedEx tracking is to be believed - hopefully I can start my adventure in stapling (soffit covering) this weekend!
Nice work

Hope you have an electric or air stapler . I think i'm up to about 6500 staples so far and you've got twice the number of panels that I have.

Cheers,
Simon