Pimp My Garage - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 213 Old 03-02-11, 01:48 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Pimp My Garage

Quote:
raZorTT wrote: View Post
Nice work

Hope you have an electric or air stapler . I think i'm up to about 6500 staples so far and you've got twice the number of panels that I have.

Cheers,
Simon
Ya, Brad they aren't too expensive. I'd go get a electric stapler soon! You'll have arthritis from all the nails you'll be putting in!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 213 Old 03-02-11, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Haha yeah, I borrowed a pneumatic combo brad nailer / stapler and a little compressor from my next door neighbor - worked well as a brad nailer to speed up the panel construction, hopefully works well for fabric stapling too. =)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XBox Live ID: Atomic Hamper
post #83 of 213 Old 03-02-11, 06:42 PM
Senior Shackster

raZorTT

Quote:
fitzwaddle wrote: View Post
Haha yeah, I borrowed a pneumatic combo brad nailer / stapler and a little compressor from my next door neighbor - worked well as a brad nailer to speed up the panel construction, hopefully works well for fabric stapling too. =)
How big is the crown of the stapler? I originally used a combo brad/stapler but the crown was too small. Only 6mm from memory. I bought a new stapler that had a 12.8mm (1/2") crown. I found the large staples evened out the tension on the fabric.

post #84 of 213 Old 03-02-11, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

It's a 1/4" crown - I'll try it initially, and if it gives me any trouble, I'll buy a 1/2".

post #85 of 213 Old 03-07-11, 09:29 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Did you get any of the fabric up over the weekend?

post #86 of 213 Old 03-07-11, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Quote:
HuskerOmaha wrote: View Post
Did you get any of the fabric up over the weekend?
Thanks for checking on me Greg - yup, got some work done, my fingers and shoulders are tired.

Got started on covering the soffits with fabric (black 16 oz Commando Cloth) this weekend. I started with a Harbor Freight combo brad nailer / narrow crown (1/4") stapler that I borrowed from my neighbor, but after about 6' of soffit, it started jamming, and then lost pressure, couldn't figure out how to fix it. Looks like I owe him a new one. So I went to HD and picked up a Porter Cable narrow crown stapler, and that has worked great.

Here is my temporary fabric cutting station - I had the triangle scraps sitting on the ground already, just screwed them to a 2x2. Notice the nice fist sized stain on the right side of the roll, goes all the way through apparently - would have been pissed, but (a) I didn't need the full width, and (b) it was far cheaper at $3.99/yd than anywhere else I found.

This stuff is extremely opaque, so there was no need to worry about doing anything to hide the reflective foil on the FSK. Its not real good at the blow test, but since I'm using it over bass trapping, not too concerned. Its also quite heavy, so required some muscling around to get it tight across the wide soffit underside - hope it doesn't sag over time.

First step was to hang the fabric up onto the tray edge using big binder clips - had my son help hold the 24' length of fabric while I clipped it up. The camera flash really washed out the colors, the ceiling is very dark brown, and the fabric is black.

Started stapling at 1" from the top of the tray edge (will cover with some black trim), and then to the furring strip at the edge of the soffit where it meets the wall. I will glue down the strip of fabric above the staples and over the tray edge top - not sure what glue to use yet, don't want overspray, so 777 is out. Maybe just white glue. Or contact cement.

almost done with the right wall:

right wall done stapling up, and trimmed off the excess:

Cut out the holes for the recessed lights, and added the trim:

left wall going up:

left wall trimmed, still need to cut out for the lights, and an access panel to get to the outlet that the rope light is plugged into:

post #87 of 213 Old 03-07-11, 01:56 PM
Senior Shackster

raZorTT

nice job brad

post #88 of 213 Old 03-07-11, 01:56 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Looks awesome. That is going to be one sweet theater.

I like the color, that second photo is probably a decent shot of the true colors?

post #89 of 213 Old 03-07-11, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Quote:
raZorTT wrote: View Post
nice job brad
Quote:
HuskerOmaha wrote: View Post
Looks awesome. That is going to be one sweet theater.

I like the color, that second photo is probably a decent shot of the true colors?
Thanks guys! My pictures aren't great, hard to get a picture that makes the brown ceiling dark enough without making the commando cloth even blacker than it really is (it is black, but not pure jet black really) - this one comes the closest:

post #90 of 213 Old 03-07-11, 04:51 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Nice work Brad..
From the shot above the ceiling looks almost black! Can you see much difference in colour between the cloth and the ceiling?

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!