Pimp My Garage - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 213 Old 08-26-10, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System
Pimp My Garage

Hi all - thought I'd post some info on the dedicated HT I'm building. If you visit AVS Forums, the title might sound familiar.

Our house has a 4 car detached garage - has mostly been used as storage (er piles of junk), and for a workshop, and sometimes a car even managed to get in there, but not that often. Since we only have two cars, and after completing our modest remodel, I still didn't have a good space for a dedicated HT, I decided to convert half of the garage into that HT. Have been planning this since before the remodel actually, back in mid/late 2006, but finally swallowed hard and started spending I mean building in earnest a few months ago.

I hired out the basic room construction (new ceiling joists, framing, electrical, insulation, drywall, mud, and even construction of the stage and riser); I'm responsible for paint, screen wall, soffit/rope light tray, columns, acoustic treatments, fabric wall panels, low voltage wiring.

SketchUp model I did some time ago - doesn't reflect a few changes: double door entry, addition of soffit/light tray, rear column location will be in corners:

floorplan (room dimensions: 23' deep to front wall, 21' to false wall/screen; 17' wide; 9' ceilings (except soffit, which drops down 8 inches; seating at 11.5' and 17' approximately):

Here's where is stands at the moment (well almost up to date pics, not quite - finished the basic soffit framing and started screen wall framing) - from the outside (stone circle is a planter box / seating wall, we haven't picked a tree yet):

A few inside pics - before starting the soffit (stage is sand filled, 8" high):

after getting most of the soffit framing done (the soffit in front over the stage will be extended to have a curve matching the stage, and the screen lights will be relocated into that extension):

riser (12", fiberglass filled) - before drywall mudding was done:

entry doors - up over the stone steps on the outside, to the level of the rear riser):

My awesome rack - will upgrade that I think - all the gear will be in the closet:

Equipment list / plans:

Pioneer AVX-1120-K - got it
Toshiba HD DVD Player - got it
Blu ray player - TBD, Oppo please? (crossing fingers on the contest) and/or PS3
power conditioner - TBD
XBOX 360 - TBD
speakers - currently B&W DM602 fronts, DM601 side surrounds, CC6 center; will be upgraded, currently thinking of TCA Pro-10s for LCR, Hsu HIW-1s for side / rear surrounds (wired for 7.1)
subwoofer: Velodyne VA-1210 or whatever its called, old - will be upgraded, planning THT LP
projector: Panasonic PT-AE4000U planned
screen: Seymour A/V DIY planned, 136" 2.35:1 or thereabouts
Lighting control: 4 zone Grafik Eye - got it
Seating: row of 4 curved Berklines on riser; row of 3 curved Berklines in front - ordered, waiting until I have carpet in to take delivery.
A/C - split A/C, either LG ArtCool or Mitsubishi Mr. Slim.

Surround speakers will be buried in columns on the side and rear corners.
LCR & subwoofer will be behind acoustically transparent screen on false wall (24" from front wall).
Walls will be fabric covered frames with rigid fiberglass panels (OC 703 or similar) to ear level and below.
Soffit will be stuffed with pink insulation and covered with kraft paper or similar, to add some midbass trapping.
Superchunk midbass traps will be placed in the front corners behind the screen; and in the rear corners within rear surround columns.

That's about all I can think of the moment - let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, etc.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 213 Old 08-27-10, 06:39 AM
Senior Shackster
the colors

Re: Pimp My Garage

Looks to be a nice setup in a nice spot. One thing I would invest in and it may slip most minds is a smoke detector in the theatre tied in directly to the house smoke detector system. The reason I say this is a freind of mine had a small electrical fire in a setup similar to yours in the garage and had no idea till you guessed it...... it was to late, small fire ===== lots of damage. When the smokes are all together, one sences smoke they all go off.
post #3 of 213 Old 08-27-10, 03:42 PM
Shackster
Shane

Very nice theater! It is coming along great! Keep us posted on with updates.

InFocus 5700 Projector
Marantz SR7002 Stereo Receiver
5.1 Infinity Surround Sound speakers with a Powered 10 inch Subwoofer
Buttkicker Amplifier BKA1000-4A
4 LFE Buttkicker's
DIY 110-inch Movie Screen
DirecTV HD Satellitte Receiver
Modified X-Box with 4 wireless controller's
XBox 360

post #4 of 213 Old 08-27-10, 04:38 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
fitzwaddle wrote: View Post
rear column location will be in corners:
Nice room you're going to have there...

Any reason why you're moving the columns to the corners instead of the original plan???
post #5 of 213 Old 08-27-10, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Quote:
salvasol wrote: View Post
Nice room you're going to have there...

Any reason why you're moving the columns to the corners instead of the original plan???
Yes, due to the change to the entry doors - double doors, and offset to one side, so there won't be room (or symmetry) for columns beside the door(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XBox Live ID: Atomic Hamper
post #6 of 213 Old 08-27-10, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Quote:
SurfHB wrote: View Post
Very nice theater! It is coming along great! Keep us posted on with updates.
Thanks, will do!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #7 of 213 Old 08-27-10, 04:46 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
Yes, due to the change to the entry doors - double doors, and offset to one side, so there won't be room (or symmetry) for columns beside the door(s).
Got it

Any plans for the grand opening???
post #8 of 213 Old 08-27-10, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Quote:
salvasol wrote: View Post
Got it

Any plans for the grand opening???
Haha, man, way too many things still to work on to even think about that - and I really only get in about 1 day's worth of work on it a week, most of that standing and staring and wondering "hmm, now how am I going to do this...". Fontana is pretty close though...

post #9 of 213 Old 08-27-10, 05:31 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
Fontana is pretty close though...
Yeap... if you need a helping hand
post #10 of 213 Old 08-29-10, 01:42 AM
Shackster

Nice Brad, very nice.

What do you have planned for the room treatments and placement of the surrounds and subs?

Have you plugged the room dimensions into a mode calculator yet to possible ID potential problems before you start testing/cal?

What kind of wall is it in between the HT and garage? Not that it will matter that much for sound leakage (unless you have someone living in your garage!) just that it will be acoustically different from the opposite wall (which means the calculators will be slightly out).

I bet your already thinking of what the first movie will be!